Other Types Of Workouts To Improve Erg Times

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] aledieps

Training

Post by [old] aledieps » January 20th, 2006, 3:39 pm

Just curious, I'm wondering if anyone has any other types of workouts they do that they have found really helps them on the erg? I'm talking besides like the usual running and biking and obvious stuff like that. I tried stadium steps a couple times and I really love doing those, on recommendation by another poster. Just curious if you guys have any secret training workouts? Thanks.

[old] Jim Barry

Training

Post by [old] Jim Barry » January 20th, 2006, 4:15 pm

Secret workout? <br />Probably do a lot more mental work with your rowing outside of rowing. Before a session it really helps to almost obsess over it regardless of how difficult it is.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] becz

Training

Post by [old] becz » January 20th, 2006, 4:43 pm

I've been doing a lot of swimming lately, and I find that it really helps to alleviate sore legs, whether they be from rowing, running or cycling.<br /><br />Another workout I've read about, but haven't incoporated into my own training, is box jumps. Basically you jump down off of a box, chair, etc. and leap right back up a quickly as possible. This is supposed to train your legs to develop very quick, explosive power. I think the article I read said that this was popular in Eastern European training circles.

[old] kinley

Training

Post by [old] kinley » January 20th, 2006, 5:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->becz Posted Today, 03:43 PM <br />  <br />box jumps. Basically you jump down off of a box, chair, etc. and leap right back up a quickly as possible </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Box jumps are very hard on the knees.

[old] DIESEL

Training

Post by [old] DIESEL » January 20th, 2006, 9:39 pm

stadium stair sprints <br /><br />200m weighted sled drags - a whole new definition of CV overload. Do 10 reps pumping the legs as fast as you can - take a minute rest between rest. By rep 8 you'll want to puke your guts out. In short, it's short, brutal, and very, very , very effective. <br /><br />If you want to work on total body strength and conditioning try sandbag clean and jerks., also very brutal and very effective. Make strong like an ox - you'll discover muscles you never had. <br /><br />And a favorite of Yoda's - barrel squats !!

[old] Porkchop

Training

Post by [old] Porkchop » January 20th, 2006, 10:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DIESEL+Jan 20 2006, 08:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DIESEL @ Jan 20 2006, 08:39 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->stadium stair sprints <br /><br />200m weighted sled drags  - a whole new definition of CV overload.  Do 10 reps pumping the legs as fast as you can - take a minute rest between rest.  By rep 8 you'll want to puke your guts out.  In short, it's short, brutal, and very, very , very effective. <br /><br />If you want to work on total body strength and conditioning try sandbag clean and jerks., also very brutal and very effective.  Make strong like an ox - you'll discover muscles you never had. <br /><br />And a favorite of Yoda's - barrel squats !! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Diesel,<br /><br />I love to hear pure evil like this.

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 20th, 2006, 10:06 pm

[old] Yukon John

Training

Post by [old] Yukon John » January 20th, 2006, 11:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Another workout I've read about, but haven't incoporated into my own training, is box jumps.  Basically you jump down off of a box, chair, etc. and leap right back up a quickly as possible.  This is supposed to train your legs to develop very quick, explosive power.  I think the article I read said that this was popular in Eastern European training circles. </td></tr></table><br /><br />This is a type of pliometric exercise. They do build explosive power. I used to use them when I coached a nordic ski team. There were several different ways I set it up (depending on if it was done inside or out.) The one that would be closest in leg angles (more specific), was to drive in two wooden stakes in a field about 10 meters apart. Run some twine between them (about 6 inches high.) {There is a bit of a lateral motion with this exercise which helped with ski skating. Of course there isn't that with rowing but the rest fits well} Stand on the left side of the twine, put your hands behind your back (good for balance), lift your right leg slightly, bend your left knee to 90 degrees and jump over the twine, going at about a 45 degree angle. As soon as you land allow your right leg to absorb the shock and bend to 90 degrees, continue jumping back and forth till you reach the end. These can be done three ways, one for attaining vertical height each jump, one for distance forward, and one for very quick tempo. <br /><br />There is less strain on the knees then when doing box jumps, still contains the essentric followed by the concentric contractions that develop the explosiveness (great for starts and finishing sprints!), and most importantly gets the legs in a similar position (~90 degrees) to rowing at the catch. Box jumps are especially good for basketball and volleyball, where the athlete does a single jump. The type of plios mentioned here are better for repetitive activities (rowing .)<br /><br />The other type of pliometric exercises that we did used either stairs or hills. Here would be a typical hill routine. Find a hill at a somewhat steep grade ~ 8-10%. Do each of these for about 30 seconds each. Start with only one set. You can eventually work up to 3-6 sets. If you do more than one set at first, then the next day(s) you will be a basket case. (Don't say I didn't warn you .) Eventually as you increase sets, these can also be done for height, distance forward and tempo. Start with distance forward. 1. Jump on your right leg only for 20-30 seconds, 2. Left leg 3. Both legs 4. exagerated skipping (drive your non pushing leg high to increase distance or height.) <br /><br />You can do the same thing on stairs. It takes a bit of practice and obviously you need to be careful. <br /><br />If you wish you can add the first type of plios (over the string) on the hill. A good way to picture your body position would be to think of the position speed skaters get into, compressed almost into a ball. To get the most out of these you really need to load the muscles that are about to explode. It's the decent followed by the rapid takeoff that produces results. <br /><br />These are great, but shouldn't be done more than twice / week and not within 2-3 weeks of a big race (they take a lot out of you . Once our snow melts (May ) I'm planning on doing these. I've had rapid increases in my times for both running and skiing. I think they will fit even better with rowing . Have fun! John.

[old] hermannjp

Training

Post by [old] hermannjp » January 21st, 2006, 8:32 am

<!--QuoteBegin-DIESEL+Jan 20 2006, 08:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DIESEL @ Jan 20 2006, 08:39 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->200m weighted sled drags<br /><br /> sandbag clean and jerks., <br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />How do you do two of those mentioned?

[old] jamesg

Training

Post by [old] jamesg » January 21st, 2006, 2:11 pm

During the summer holidays, I do say 2-3h bike, an hour's sculling, maybe 30-40 min freestyle, 90' in a K2 every day, with various combinations as possible at the location. All done at very low effort levels (except sculling and hill climbing). After a month of that my erg speeds are much faster, and the effect lasts about 2 months.<br /><br />So I'd say it's a question of volume only, it doesn't matter what you do, so long as you do it for at least four hours. However I do think hill climbing on a bike can be very effective, always with the 4h condtion satisfied.

[old] aledieps

Training

Post by [old] aledieps » January 21st, 2006, 8:08 pm

Yeah I would definitely like to know where i could get or make a sled for that 200m pull. Anyways, these posts are awesome, I love to hear all of these other workouts you guys do and their effectiveness.<br /><br />P.S. I did a 10k test today and PR'ed woooooo!

[old] Yoda1

Training

Post by [old] Yoda1 » January 21st, 2006, 8:52 pm

aledieps,<br /><br />Buy a piece of 1/4" steel plate about 2' x 3'. Take it some where and have the front 3" bent upward and a 1" piece of round stock welded in the middle of the flat section. It needs to be about 18" tall. Have 2 padeyes welded on the corners of the 3" raised section. Get some chain and attach it to the padeyes. Hook yourownself up and away you go. Don't forget to add the weight. As I said before you need at least double body weight on the sled unless your a whimp like Porkchop and Diesel.<br /><br />John,<br /><br />That picture that you posted is a squat with a barrel, but it is not the infamous "Yoda Barrel Squat". My barrel squat is a hellava lot safer than that one.<br />It was a good picture though.<br /><br />Yoda

[old] DIESEL

Training

Post by [old] DIESEL » January 22nd, 2006, 1:37 pm

hey guys, how do you attach images? (they're JPEG files) <br /><br />I want to show the squat and sandbag presses <br /><br />D

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » January 22nd, 2006, 2:02 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-aledieps+Jan 20 2006, 03:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(aledieps @ Jan 20 2006, 03:39 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just curious, I'm wondering if anyone has any other types of workouts they do that they have found really helps them on the erg?  I'm talking besides like the usual running and biking and obvious stuff like that.  I tried stadium steps a couple times and I really love doing those, on recommendation by another poster.  Just curious if you guys have any secret training workouts?  Thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />www.crossfit.com<br /><br />Nuff said ...

[old] DIESEL

Training

Post by [old] DIESEL » January 22nd, 2006, 11:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Jan 22 2006, 01:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Jan 22 2006, 01:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-aledieps+Jan 20 2006, 03:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(aledieps @ Jan 20 2006, 03:39 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just curious, I'm wondering if anyone has any other types of workouts they do that they have found really helps them on the erg?  I'm talking besides like the usual running and biking and obvious stuff like that.  I tried stadium steps a couple times and I really love doing those, on recommendation by another poster.  Just curious if you guys have any secret training workouts?  Thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />www.crossfit.com<br /><br />Nuff said ... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />actually, not enough said. <br /><br />crossfit has no progression. It is just random workouts. Granted, individually, they'll kick your ass, but when taken over a period of time, if you look at it, there is no STRUCTURE, only randomness. In any training programs you need some form of benchmark with which to gauge your progress. Crossfit does not do that. <br /><br />What I do like about crossfit is that it forces you to learn the hard lifts, the olympic lifts, and perform anaerobic sprinting. Which is all good in my book. <br /><br />Therefore, crossfit is good, but it is not the be all end all. In short, a little goes a long way. <br /><br />peace, <br />D <br /><br />Now will some one show me how to post pics on this site?