Pondering the Beginner Pete Plan

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Sakly
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Pondering the Beginner Pete Plan

Post by Sakly » March 7th, 2023, 11:48 am

btswims wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 11:05 am
aegis wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 10:22 am
btswims wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 8:37 pm

Thanks! Resting is around 45 and max on the erg has been 188.
For ur rhr and max hr perhaps you want to take it down a notch or two. Looks like you are training in higher zones. My hr can stay pretty flat in zone 3 but its considered too hard assuming you got the hr right. I like to use the karnoven formula.
Agreed, I pushed this one more into Zone 4. For me, I'm typically in 3.
If you don't spend 6-7h or more on the erg, you can go as hard as you like, as long as your recovery is fine.
The lower intensities get interesting, when you have to align much volume throughout the week or you combine it with other intense activities.
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:03.5
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

RayOfSunshine
6k Poster

Post by RayOfSunshine » March 8th, 2023, 9:58 pm

BPP 22.2
4 x 2000m / 4min restAs discussed in week 20, this session and the 5 x 1500m session are very closely related. You should be able to get a good idea how the pace of the two sessions compare to each other now, but if in doubt, always aim for the same average pace you last managed on the exact session, for all but the last rep. On the last rep of these sessions always try to go slightly faster than the previous reps.

3 weeks ago 4x2k avg pace was 2:10.4. Last week's 5x1500 avg pace was 2:06.6. So, I started at 2:08.6 and went off feel from there.

I'm extremely pleased. I was spent after this one. When I do a 2k TT, I will set the DF to ~75 and hope to average around 47-48 on SPM.

Male, January 1971
Neptune Beach, FL
on way back to LWT

RayOfSunshine
6k Poster

Post by RayOfSunshine » March 10th, 2023, 5:28 pm

BPP 22.3

30min Try a strict rate restriction of 20spm for this row. The 30min at 20spm, or 30r20, session is a popular one with rowers and ergers alike

I wasn't sure on pace, but I thought I could hold 2:15 through based on prior workouts. I planned on SPM of 34. When the first interval read 33, I decided to hold it there. That will be my "r20" going forward.

This was much more difficult than it appears. I stopped wearing the HRM on the skierg b/c it tends to move a good bit more. I may get a new one (Garmin RUN) soon.

Male, January 1971
Neptune Beach, FL
on way back to LWT

RayOfSunshine
6k Poster

Post by RayOfSunshine » March 11th, 2023, 6:58 pm

BPP 22.3
[3 x 10min / 2min rest]You know now to treat these sessions like any other distance piece. Put a rate restriction on and don’t worry about pace if you feel you need an easier session, or aim for a solid 30min pace, close to your best, if you feel good.

Stuck it in the middle with an equivalent of 24spm pace. 11 sessions left!

Male, January 1971
Neptune Beach, FL
on way back to LWT

RayOfSunshine
6k Poster

Post by RayOfSunshine » March 12th, 2023, 3:02 pm

BPP 22.5

[5 x 800m / 2min rest]
Target 2:02.9 1st 4, all out last.

Overall, it felt really good. Of course, the last 300 or so was awful as lungs/legs started to burn. My SPM was down 4-5 each interval from last time.

2 weeks (10 sessions) left!

RayOfSunshine wrote:
March 11th, 2023, 6:58 pm
BPP 22.3
[3 x 10min / 2min rest]You know now to treat these sessions like any other distance piece. Put a rate restriction on and don’t worry about pace if you feel you need an easier session, or aim for a solid 30min pace, close to your best, if you feel good.

Yesterday was actually BPP 22.4 not 22.3
Male, January 1971
Neptune Beach, FL
on way back to LWT

istro
Paddler

Post by istro » March 13th, 2023, 12:20 am

RayOfSunshine wrote:
March 12th, 2023, 3:02 pm
BPP 22.5
22.5!!! You're almost there!!! Great work, just a little to go!!!

I haven't posted much, but completed week 9 of the 2nd run; today will be 10.1.
male, 1985, ~170lbs (77kg), 5'11" (181cm), rowing since 8/2022
---
https://log.concept2.com/profile/1744461/log

imaginarySoul
Paddler

Post by imaginarySoul » March 13th, 2023, 12:25 pm

Hey guys hope to get some feedback on where my goals should be. I previously rowed a bit off-and-on on a Pro-form magnetic rower. First of all, I now understand how terrible of a rower those are (specially the tracking..according to that rower I'm breaking world records every day!! haha).

I finally got my C2 delivered over the weekend and completed my first entry in PBB.

Here are some stats:

Today's workout was the first 5k.

Time: 30m30s

Avg Pace 3.03.0/500m

Rate 20 s/m

122DF

Avg HR 153 (Zone 4).

Here is my question really:

How can I lower my time and maintain Zone 3, which was my original target (125-144bpm)?

I feel like when i was rowing at 130-140bpm i was barely using force to push off the pedals. Is that normal?
When I pushed harder to get my numbers down, my bpm's were in my max or close to it (170)

Next up i will record my form tomorrow and upload it on here. Maybe its that? I don't feel like my form is wacky but another look can't hurt either!

Last question: For the days where the plan calls for splits (6x500m) for example: What stroke rate should i aim for? Should i keep that 20 i did on the 5k? The plan doesn't ever talk about rates from what i can see. (sorry if its been answered here which i'm sure it has. There's a lot of content to take in!)

Thanks for any help!

mitchel674
10k Poster

Post by mitchel674 » March 13th, 2023, 5:49 pm

imaginarySoul wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 12:25 pm
Hey guys hope to get some feedback on where my goals should be. I previously rowed a bit off-and-on on a Pro-form magnetic rower. First of all, I now understand how terrible of a rower those are (specially the tracking..according to that rower I'm breaking world records every day!! haha).

I finally got my C2 delivered over the weekend and completed my first entry in PBB.

Here are some stats:

Avg Pace 3.03.0/500m

Rate 20 s/m

122DF

Avg HR 153 (Zone 4).

Here is my question really:

How can I lower my time and maintain Zone 3, which was my original target (125-144bpm)?

I feel like when i was rowing at 130-140bpm i was barely using force to push off the pedals. Is that normal?
When I pushed harder to get my numbers down, my bpm's were in my max or close to it (170)

Next up i will record my form tomorrow and upload it on here. Maybe its that? I don't feel like my form is wacky but another look can't hurt either!

Last question: For the days where the plan calls for splits (6x500m) for example: What stroke rate should i aim for? Should i keep that 20 i did on the 5k? The plan doesn't ever talk about rates from what i can see. (sorry if its been answered here which i'm sure it has. There's a lot of content to take in!)

Thanks for any help!
Welcome!! The good news is that there are lots of fast newbie gains in rowing. Were you able to row the 5000m without stopping?

Posting a form video from the side view is always a good idea.
59yo male, 6ft, 153lbs

imaginarySoul
Paddler

Post by imaginarySoul » March 13th, 2023, 8:40 pm

I was able to do the whole 30 without any rest or drop in the rate of 20. I just felt like I could push harder most of the row.
I feel like I'm likely just leaving alot on the table with my form maybe ? Tomorrow I'll post a 5 minute workout to see what you guys think

RayOfSunshine
6k Poster

Post by RayOfSunshine » March 13th, 2023, 9:48 pm

Welcome to the thread and congrats on the purchase!! I was over 240lbs (I'm 5'9" too) when I first started in fall of 2017. I could complete 30', but it wasn't pretty. I was on BP meds too. February 2020, I competed in a 2k competition as a lightweight. I started with the BPP.
imaginarySoul wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 12:25 pm

Here are some stats:

Avg Pace 3.03.0/500m
Rate 20 s/m
122DF
Avg HR 153 (Zone 4).

How did you arrive at your max HR? If you used a formula, it's probably not correct. The way I lowered my HR and got off meds was by putting time in on the rower and walking. After I got up to where I could do an hour fairly comfortably and knew my max HR, I started doing an hour HR restricted row often. I'd see how far I could get. I still do this. At the beginning, I'd focus on one (maybe 2) thing(s) I knew I needed to correct (breathing, posture, etc.). The little improvements along with better CV fitness showed up in the forms of big gains (distance). Sometimes I'd go weeks without any improvement then pop off an extra 200m+.

On the stroke rate (sr or SPM), I wouldn't worry about it as much as form. I would work on something comfortable but without restriction. If I had to guess, that would be 24-28. Perhaps do the 1st rep at 20, then 22, 24, 26, 28. BPP is genius to me.. it builds confidence while gradually increasing your meters.

I also think posting on here was HUGE for me. It was all about accountability. I almost quit the BPP this time (on the skierg) around midway through, but I decided to start posting each workout (along with how I felt). Seriously though, the boards here are so awesome.

Remember, you're not competing against others. Enjoy the ride!
Male, January 1971
Neptune Beach, FL
on way back to LWT

mitchel674
10k Poster

Post by mitchel674 » March 13th, 2023, 10:12 pm

RayOfSunshine wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 9:48 pm

How did you arrive at your max HR? If you used a formula, it's probably not correct. The way I lowered my HR and got off meds was by putting time in on the rower and walking. After I got up to where I could do an hour fairly comfortably and knew my max HR, I started doing an hour HR restricted row often. I'd see how far I could get. I still do this. At the beginning, I'd focus on one (maybe 2) thing(s) I knew I needed to correct (breathing, posture, etc.). The little improvements along with better CV fitness showed up in the forms of big gains (distance). Sometimes I'd go weeks without any improvement then pop off an extra 200m+.

On the stroke rate (sr or SPM), I wouldn't worry about it as much as form. I would work on something comfortable but without restriction. If I had to guess, that would be 24-28. Perhaps do the 1st rep at 20, then 22, 24, 26, 28. BPP is genius to me.. it builds confidence while gradually increasing your meters.

I also think posting on here was HUGE for me. It was all about accountability. I almost quit the BPP this time (on the skierg) around midway through, but I decided to start posting each workout (along with how I felt). Seriously though, the boards here are so awesome.

Inspiring words!!
59yo male, 6ft, 153lbs

RayOfSunshine
6k Poster

Post by RayOfSunshine » March 14th, 2023, 7:21 am

BPP 23.1
10000m – How did you row your best 10000m time so far? Was it by rowing at a steady pace all the way, or negative splitting and getting gradually faster as you did 2 weeks ago? Whichever method you found best for you, try that again with this session and see if you can set a new 10000m pb.

Goal: Sub43 as I did 43:03.3 just 3 weeks ago. Very pumped to have a new PB. Posted my old one from 3 years ago beside the new one.

Male, January 1971
Neptune Beach, FL
on way back to LWT

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Sakly » March 14th, 2023, 7:27 am

RayOfSunshine wrote:
March 14th, 2023, 7:21 am
Goal: Sub43 as I did 43:03.3 just 3 weeks ago. Very pumped to have a new PB. Posted my old one from 3 years ago beside the new one.

Nice 👌
So not only better than 3 weeks ago - even better than 3 years ago 😎
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:03.5
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

iain
10k Poster

Post by iain » March 14th, 2023, 8:19 am

mitchel674 wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 10:12 pm
RayOfSunshine wrote:

Inspiring words!!
I have always struggled to get my HR into the zones. Your heart adapts to higher work loads by both increasing stroke volume and the rate. I assume that mine increases rate more than most to start with so that I can comfortably maintain 90% of max (highest recorded) for well over an hour. Pete's Plans are not HR based. I personally only think light rowing is a useful part of a plan if you are rowing most days ior engaged in significant stress / other exercise. Much more important is that you go at a pace that you are confident you will finish and don't exhaust yourself on the slower sessions.

As for rate, I agree that the rate is something to worry about later. I struggle to rate up and do slower rows at 16-17 SPM! Some find 25SPM to feel too slow. I do think that there are improvements to be had from better technique and the video would be a great idea. For the present I would try and ensure:

1) you feel the pressure through your legs on the drive
2) ensure your arms stay straight until your legs are nearly straight
3) make sure that the handle is moving as far as your seat during the leg drive (ie start at the catch with the handle high enough that the chain is straight and you do not angle forward during the drive.

THis eliminates most of the largest impact errors common in new rowers. You should also not be pausing during your stroke but recovering slowly to use very little energy on the recovery on slower rows.

For the 5k rows you should finish sweating significantly. Just try and improve slowly plus capture any technique benefits from the above (or anything else learned from the many great training videos). I strongly recommend recording yourself. Most people think their technique is batter than a sight of it demonstrates!

You have made the most difficult change by starting and should find that pace improved rapidly over the first month or so.

Welcome to the most infuriating (but beneficial) exercise machine produced!

- Iain
56, lightweight in pace and by gravity. Currently training 3-4 times a week after a break to slowly regain the pitiful fitness I achieved a few years ago. Free Spirit, come join us http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/

imaginarySoul
Paddler

Post by imaginarySoul » March 14th, 2023, 12:42 pm

iain wrote:
March 14th, 2023, 8:19 am
mitchel674 wrote:
March 13th, 2023, 10:12 pm
RayOfSunshine wrote:

Inspiring words!!
I have always struggled to get my HR into the zones. Your heart adapts to higher work loads by both increasing stroke volume and the rate. I assume that mine increases rate more than most to start with so that I can comfortably maintain 90% of max (highest recorded) for well over an hour. Pete's Plans are not HR based. I personally only think light rowing is a useful part of a plan if you are rowing most days ior engaged in significant stress / other exercise. Much more important is that you go at a pace that you are confident you will finish and don't exhaust yourself on the slower sessions.

As for rate, I agree that the rate is something to worry about later. I struggle to rate up and do slower rows at 16-17 SPM! Some find 25SPM to feel too slow. I do think that there are improvements to be had from better technique and the video would be a great idea. For the present I would try and ensure:

1) you feel the pressure through your legs on the drive
2) ensure your arms stay straight until your legs are nearly straight
3) make sure that the handle is moving as far as your seat during the leg drive (ie start at the catch with the handle high enough that the chain is straight and you do not angle forward during the drive.

THis eliminates most of the largest impact errors common in new rowers. You should also not be pausing during your stroke but recovering slowly to use very little energy on the recovery on slower rows.

For the 5k rows you should finish sweating significantly. Just try and improve slowly plus capture any technique benefits from the above (or anything else learned from the many great training videos). I strongly recommend recording yourself. Most people think their technique is batter than a sight of it demonstrates!

You have made the most difficult change by starting and should find that pace improved rapidly over the first month or so.

Welcome to the most infuriating (but beneficial) exercise machine produced!

- Iain
Thank you all for the guidance so far!
I've gone ahead and recorded myself during a 5min warmup i did this morning before i tackled Day 2 on PBB.
https://youtu.be/S-1crbE9hU4 (note in the very end i show the results from the PM)

I already see a bunch of things i'm clearly doing wrong. I'm doing this weird hand thing on my recovery where i'm moving them down then back up? (i didn't even know i was doing that! why am i doing it??).
Also it seems like my shins aren't 90 deg at the catch, they at times seem to be moving too far towards my toes if that makes sense. How do i fix that? Are my feet to high or low?
Now about my lean in the back and catch, how are those?

Also here are my results from day 2 of PBB:
https://imgur.com/a/dwCeXPY