Young Rower looking for ✨workouts✨

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
millermathewson
Paddler

Young Rower looking for ✨workouts✨

Post by millermathewson » February 25th, 2023, 11:22 am

Hi,

I’m looking for some erg stuff to do to improve my rowing!

About me:
- 14 years old
- Rowed since 12
- 2k 8:15
- 1k 3:55
- Coastal and river 🚣‍♀️🚣‍♀️
- Row 3-4 times a week, am definitely up for more.

I what some painful stuff! 😂😭

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Young Rower looking for ✨workouts✨

Post by jamesg » February 26th, 2023, 4:31 am

https://www.britishrowing.org/indoor-ro ... ing-plans/

Take a look here. Rowing can be as tough as you like, but usually one takes it quite easy, needing to survive and maybe even work tomorrow. Since it's a sport, and can be fun, what you need is a quality stroke; so get that right first.

The major point about rowing of course, is that we are part of a crew; and crews sink or swim together.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week. Fading fast.

row23
Paddler

Post by row23 » February 27th, 2023, 1:59 pm

Hi,

I’m looking for some erg stuff to do to improve my rowing!

About me:
- 14 years old
- Rowed since 12
- 2k 8:15
- 1k 3:55
- Coastal and river 🚣‍♀️🚣‍♀️
- Row 3-4 times a week, am definitely up for more.

I what some painful stuff! 😂😭
If you want some painful stuff then repeats of sprints are the way to do it. Of course, you have to balance it out with steady state but it's a great way to get used to higher rates and lower splits a few times a week.

Some "painful" workouts:
6x500m, all out (2-3 seconds below 2k split and r28-30) with 2-3 mins rest in between
15x20sec on, 40 sec paddle, rate as high as you can go and split as low as you can go.
10x 1min on, 1min paddle at your goal or current 2k split and rate
3x2k at 90% of your usual splits and rate (so it is a little easier than 2k, but not easy by any means). This is also a good way to prep for a 2k and practice your race plan.
4x1k at 2k split plus 6-7 seconds (i.e. if your 2k split is a 2:04, do it at a 2:10) and r26-28. Rest for this is 4 mins.

That's not to undermine the effects of long steady state, longer pieces at low rates can be just as hard as a sprint piece and I will usually pair a short sprint piece with a bit of steady state to cool down and get in a longer workout.
i.e. 15x20sec on/20sec off with a 20" easy steady state piece afterward (granted I'm feeling up for it).

Tsnor
10k Poster

Post by Tsnor » February 28th, 2023, 12:06 pm

Are you working with a team at school or a club for rowing or any other sports? If so coordinate with your coach.

There are plenty of great rowing workouts. You should work them into a simple plan to get maximum benefit.

A good training plan will have at most 1 to 3 workouts a week that are hard enough to get you breathing heavily. Try to avoid doing hard workouts two days in a row. Include all workouts you do (at gym in school, playing soccer, etc.) when you figure out what hard workouts you do.

Once you have hard workouts in your plan add a bunch of long/slow work where you go slow enough that you can speak conversationally. Oddly, going slower once you have done 3 hard workouts in a week makes you stronger/faster then adding another hard workout. One or more rest days finish the plan.

Here is a video on training: https://youtu.be/MALsI0mJ09I

Note when you build your simple plan don't worry about sticking to it 100%. You just want to get it roughly right. Each hard workout is a signal to get better -- rest and recovery are needed for the body to actually get better. The long slow build capillaries and grow mitochondria and improve your heart and blood volume. The hard workouts build muscle strength and lung capacity.