Need Help!!!?!!! Confused Rowers :)

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] SA04rower

Training

Post by [old] SA04rower » January 11th, 2006, 10:54 pm

okay...i have a little problem.<br /><br />I have to do a science fair project for school (required...you know how fun that is! ) and i decided on an erging/fitness/exercise type project that experiments with what time of the day yields the best result (that is calories burned) for an erg piece~the testing piece will be between 10-15 minutes. to control the project, I will be doing the same workout (time-wise that is) and maintaining a similar diet day-to-day as well as getting the same amount of sleep, using same damper setting etc... the mainipulated factor is the time of day (ie: early morning, noon, late at night etc..)<br /><br />here's the problem ...i need to present "background research" for my experiment...this can be past experiements of this subject, similar research or just facts about maximizing calorie burning.....any help or links would be deeply appreciated!!<br /><br />Thanks again!<br /><br />SA04rower

[old] erikajas

Training

Post by [old] erikajas » January 11th, 2006, 11:20 pm

There are a few studies looking at circadian rhythms and exercise. None that I know of involve rowing, but this is a topic of interest to elite athletes who worry about the effects of jet lag and performance. I have references to the following, but the papers may be difficult to come by as I don't think this is a high circulation journal.<br /><br />1: Chronobiol Int. 2002 Nov;19(6):1137-49. <br />Circadian rhythms during cycling exercise and finger-tapping task.<br />Moussay S, Dosseville F, Gauthier A, Larue J, Sesboue B, Davenne D.<br /><br />2. 1: Chronobiol Int. 2005;22(1):21-44. <br />Circadian rhythms in sports performance--an update.<br />Drust B, Waterhouse J, Atkinson G, Edwards B, Reilly T.<br /><br />3: Chronobiol Int. 2005;22(2):207-25. <br />The circadian rhythm of core temperature: origin and some implications for<br />exercise performance.<br />Waterhouse J, Drust B, Weinert D, Edwards B, Gregson W, Atkinson G, Kao S,<br />Aizawa S, Reilly T.<br /><br />I do have abstracts for these papers and can email them to you. Good luck with the project!<br /><br />--Erika

[old] SA04rower

Training

Post by [old] SA04rower » January 12th, 2006, 10:55 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-erikajas+Jan 11 2006, 10:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(erikajas @ Jan 11 2006, 10:20 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->There are a few studies looking at circadian rhythms and exercise.  None that I know of involve rowing, but this is a topic of interest to elite athletes who worry about the effects of jet lag and performance.  I have references to the following, but the papers may be difficult to come by as I don't think this is a high circulation journal.<br /><br />1: Chronobiol Int. 2002 Nov;19(6):1137-49. <br />Circadian rhythms during cycling exercise and finger-tapping task.<br />Moussay S, Dosseville F, Gauthier A, Larue J, Sesboue B, Davenne D.<br /><br />2. 1: Chronobiol Int. 2005;22(1):21-44. <br />Circadian rhythms in sports performance--an update.<br />Drust B, Waterhouse J, Atkinson G, Edwards B, Reilly T.<br /><br />3: Chronobiol Int. 2005;22(2):207-25. <br />The circadian rhythm of core temperature: origin and some implications for<br />exercise performance.<br />Waterhouse J, Drust B, Weinert D, Edwards B, Gregson W, Atkinson G, Kao S,<br />Aizawa S, Reilly T.<br /><br />I do have abstracts for these papers and can email them to you.  Good luck with the project!<br /><br />--Erika <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Erika,<br /><br />Thanks so much and I think you are right~I could not find those anywhere! Could you email me the abstracts to <sciencefair27@yahoo.com> Thanks again for your help!<br /><br />Any of you other rowers/scientist want to help ? thanks

[old] MJPhilly

Training

Post by [old] MJPhilly » January 13th, 2006, 4:21 am

You should be able to go to a local college and use interlibrary loan to get these articles.

[old] SA04rower

Training

Post by [old] SA04rower » January 14th, 2006, 11:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-MJPhilly+Jan 13 2006, 03:21 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(MJPhilly @ Jan 13 2006, 03:21 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You should be able to go to a local college and use interlibrary loan to get these articles. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />You are right--except, the nearest (decent sized) college library is more than an hour away...on-line stuff is preferred.<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />--

[old] DIESEL

Training

Post by [old] DIESEL » January 15th, 2006, 3:37 am

how are you going to measure the calories burned? <br /><br />the difference is going to be your times. It's all standardized on the PM. the real experiment will end up being at what time of the day do you row fastest. <br /><br />just a thought

[old] raymond botha

Training

Post by [old] raymond botha » January 15th, 2006, 6:18 am

I always thought a training session done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach would yield the best results although I guess the duration would impact this experiment the most. Sorry , no associated web links to validate this.<br /><br />Ray

[old] SA04rower

Training

Post by [old] SA04rower » January 16th, 2006, 4:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DIESEL+Jan 15 2006, 02:37 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DIESEL @ Jan 15 2006, 02:37 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->how are you going to measure the calories burned? <br /><br />the difference is going to be your times.  It's all standardized on the PM.  the real experiment will end up being at what time of the day do you row fastest. <br /><br />just a thought <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />What Im going to do is set a rate limit (22-26 i think) and see how many calories can be burned in a set time. ~If you pull harder, more calories burned~<br /><br />-SA04Rower

[old] DIESEL

Training

Post by [old] DIESEL » January 16th, 2006, 6:19 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-SA04rower+Jan 16 2006, 03:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SA04rower @ Jan 16 2006, 03:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-DIESEL+Jan 15 2006, 02:37 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DIESEL @ Jan 15 2006, 02:37 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->how are you going to measure the calories burned? <br /><br />the difference is going to be your times.  It's all standardized on the PM.  the real experiment will end up being at what time of the day do you row fastest. <br /><br />just a thought <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />What Im going to do is set a rate limit (22-26 i think) and see how many calories can be burned in a set time. ~If you pull harder, more calories burned~<br /><br />-SA04Rower <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Absolutely. The faster you go, the more calories you burn. The variant will be speed during different times of the day - but then remember that you will also have to account for increases in fitness - which will naturally lower your time.

[old] SA04rower

Training

Post by [old] SA04rower » January 17th, 2006, 7:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DIESEL+Jan 16 2006, 05:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DIESEL @ Jan 16 2006, 05:19 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-SA04rower+Jan 16 2006, 03:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SA04rower @ Jan 16 2006, 03:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-DIESEL+Jan 15 2006, 02:37 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DIESEL @ Jan 15 2006, 02:37 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->how are you going to measure the calories burned? <br /><br />the difference is going to be your times.  It's all standardized on the PM.  the real experiment will end up being at what time of the day do you row fastest. <br /><br />just a thought <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />What Im going to do is set a rate limit (22-26 i think) and see how many calories can be burned in a set time. ~If you pull harder, more calories burned~<br /><br />-SA04Rower <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Absolutely. The faster you go, the more calories you burn. The variant will be speed during different times of the day - but then remember that you will also have to account for increases in fitness - which will naturally lower your time. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />You know...I hadn't thought about that. Although, the "trials" will be short (1-3 minutes) and I am going to try to space them out with 1 day rest so I don't end up having a higher level of fitness. (weird huh? you'd never expect a rower to hope for less fitness! ) I think this should "compensate" for that potential error.<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />-SA04rower

[old] SA04rower

Training

Post by [old] SA04rower » January 21st, 2006, 7:51 pm

Did some more research and made some changes...<br /><br />-the testing piece will be 1 minute long with 2-3 minutes of recovery following<br />-times I will test are,,,,8 AM 12 Noon 4PM 8PM<br /><br />New title: "The effect of ones Circadian Rhythm upon anaerobic perfromance"<br /><br />--SA04rower

[old] bw1099

Training

Post by [old] bw1099 » January 21st, 2006, 10:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-SA04rower+Jan 21 2006, 06:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SA04rower @ Jan 21 2006, 06:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Did some more research and made some changes...<br /><br />-the testing piece will be 1 minute long with 2-3 minutes of recovery following<br />-times I will test are,,,,8 AM 12 Noon  4PM  8PM<br /><br />New title: "The effect of ones Circadian Rhythm upon anaerobic perfromance"<br /><br />--SA04rower <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />So... will you be doing all 4 times every day during your experiment? One of the times each day? <br />Somewhere in between?<br /><br />bw

[old] SA04rower

Training

Post by [old] SA04rower » January 22nd, 2006, 1:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bw1099+Jan 21 2006, 09:23 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bw1099 @ Jan 21 2006, 09:23 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-SA04rower+Jan 21 2006, 06:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SA04rower @ Jan 21 2006, 06:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Did some more research and made some changes...<br /><br />-the testing piece will be 1 minute long with 2-3 minutes of recovery following<br />-times I will test are,,,,8 AM 12 Noon  4PM  8PM<br /><br />New title: "The effect of ones Circadian Rhythm upon anaerobic perfromance"<br /><br />--SA04rower <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />So... will you be doing all 4 times every day during your experiment? One of the times each day? <br />Somewhere in between?<br /><br />bw <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yeah--day 1 I will do 8AM, day 2 12 noon and so on.....<br /><br />This allows me to have ample rest time so there is no increase in the level of fitness or fatigue.<br /><br /><br />