Adjustment Of Foot Position

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] adkmurray

Training

Post by [old] adkmurray » January 9th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Did some experimenting with the adjustable foot positions on the erg today, numbered 1-5. Have read that lower position would be better for myself and have kept the setting on #3 and never gave it much thought until today. I varied the setting from lowest to highest and had a hard time noticing much difference while watching the performance curve. It seemed that the higher position (hole #1 )gave a stronger indication on the beginning of the curve and the lowest position moved the peak of the curve more to the right and produced a wider peak or tended to flatten it out but difficult to tell for sure. I'm 5' 10" and wife is 5' 2" any recommendations on this or rule of thumb?<br />Thanks,<br />Jim

[old] jfo

Training

Post by [old] jfo » January 10th, 2006, 3:33 am

I am 183 and have 2 holes free at the top.<br />Interesting question...it might be worth experimenting with

[old] Hal Morgan

Training

Post by [old] Hal Morgan » January 10th, 2006, 10:51 pm

I have been up and down the hole range.<br /><br /><br />It is a matter of comfort with me. Too high or too low and my arch or my toes ache. I strap across the first eyelet now. On water. My heels are 6-9 cm below seat height.<br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] rowan

Training

Post by [old] rowan » January 11th, 2006, 1:35 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Hal Morgan+Jan 11 2006, 04:51 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Hal Morgan @ Jan 11 2006, 04:51 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Too high or too low and my arch or my toes ache. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />My arches ache...would you say that means my feet are too high or too low?<br />Thanks.<br /><br />

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » January 11th, 2006, 9:47 am

C2 suggests a height that has the strap crossing where the crease is in the top of your shoe.<br /><br />I'd suggest having the balls of your feet at rail height, +/-1 hole from there suits a lot of folks. Find what's comfortable.<br /><br />If using the straps, make sure they are not too high on the instep or too tight, as those kind of things will tend to attempt bending your arch the wrong way, potentially causing pain. Be careful no not over compress (shins far past vertical at the catch), as this causes excessive heel lift.<br /><br />Going strapless will certainly help more than hurt, as well as having an ongoing goal of increasing ankle flexibility by keeping the heels close to the footplate while getting the shins to vertical at the catch.

[old] adkmurray

Training

Post by [old] adkmurray » January 11th, 2006, 4:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-adkmurray+Jan 9 2006, 09:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(adkmurray @ Jan 9 2006, 09:21 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Did some experimenting with the adjustable foot positions on the erg today, numbered 1-5.  Have read that lower position would be better for myself and have kept the setting on #3 and never gave it much thought until today.  I varied the setting from lowest to highest and had a hard time noticing much difference while watching the performance curve.  It seemed that the higher position (hole #1 )gave a stronger indication on the beginning of the curve and the lowest position moved the peak of the curve more to the right and produced a wider peak or tended to flatten it out but difficult to tell for sure.  I'm 5' 10" and wife is 5' 2" any recommendations on this or rule of thumb?<br />Thanks,<br />Jim <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I guess I was looking for more of a possible advantage in the foot locations rather than comfort. You would think that there is a rule of thumb about the location of your feet while rowing since it could have a lot to do with getting the most from the legs. It may sound trivial to some but when you are dealing with hundredths of a second someone surely must have determined the proper angle and height of the feet while rowing. <br />Jim

[old] rowan

Training

Post by [old] rowan » January 12th, 2006, 2:13 am

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Jan 11 2006, 03:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Jan 11 2006, 03:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->C2 suggests a height that has the strap crossing where the crease is in the top of your shoe.<br /><br />I'd suggest having the balls of your feet at rail height, +/-1 hole from there suits a lot of folks.  Find what's comfortable.<br /><br />If using the straps, make sure they are not too high on the instep or too tight, as those kind of things will tend to attempt bending your arch the wrong way, potentially causing pain.  Be careful no not over compress (shins far past vertical at the catch), as this causes excessive heel lift.<br /><br />Going strapless will certainly help more than hurt, as well as having an ongoing goal of increasing ankle flexibility by keeping the heels close to the footplate while getting the shins to vertical at the catch. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I think I'm over compressing. It's tempting for me to go all the way forward - I'm very short.<br />Didn't realise this could be related to the foot pain, thanks for that information.

[old] mumbles

Training

Post by [old] mumbles » January 12th, 2006, 5:56 am

I am 6'3 94kg, where should i be, do i adjust it for different distances?

[old] jfo

Training

Post by [old] jfo » January 12th, 2006, 6:51 am

<!--QuoteBegin-mumbles+Jan 12 2006, 11:56 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mumbles @ Jan 12 2006, 11:56 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I am 6'3 94kg, where should i be, do i adjust it for different distances? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />This must definetely be one of those things in life that you should do<br />as you feel best. There can't be any rules on that <br />

[old] deppe4

Training

Post by [old] deppe4 » January 13th, 2006, 4:41 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mumbles+Jan 12 2006, 04:56 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mumbles @ Jan 12 2006, 04:56 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I am 6'3 94kg, where should i be, do i adjust it for different distances? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />For those who are interested on where to place your feet based on height...I refound a thread in the Team Row Pain Row Gain thread:<br /><br />...I found the sizing chart you were talking about (though I ended up having to have to Google to find it). Here's what the C2 Fall Update 2002 recommends:<br /><br />* You should avoid heels that rise up too far, as they may irritate your achilles tendon at the finish of the stroke.<br /><br />* Seat comfort may also be affected by the height of the Flexfoot heel cups. If your feet are too low, the backs of your thighs may rest harder against the front edge of the seat, tending to cut off circulation to the seat area as well.<br /><br />* In fact, there are a number of factors that determine the best Flexfoot setting for any given person. In general, you should set the Flexfoot so that the strap crosses the ball of your foot. However, the less flexible you are, the lower you will probably want your feet. Similarly, if you haven't yet worked off all that spare tire around the mid-section, you may also need to set your feet a little lower than a lean person with similar foot-size. Finally, if you row in socks, you will want to set the Flexfoot higher than when you row with shoes on. See chart below.<br /><br />Foot size --- Flexfoot Hole # <br />Women's 6 --- 1-2 <br />Women's 7 with shoes on --- 2-3 <br />with shoes off --- 1-2 <br />Women's 9/(Men's 7) --- 3-4 <br />Men's 10 --- 4-5 <br />Men's 12-13 --- 4-6<br /><br />Hope this helps,<br />-deppe4

[old] tjod

Training

Post by [old] tjod » January 13th, 2006, 5:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-deppe4+Jan 13 2006, 12:41 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(deppe4 @ Jan 13 2006, 12:41 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />For those who are interested on where to place your feet based on height...I refound a thread in the Team Row Pain Row Gain thread:.<br />.<br />...<br /><br />Foot size --- Flexfoot Hole # <br />Women's 6 --- 1-2 <br />Women's 7 with shoes on --- 2-3 <br />with shoes off --- 1-2 <br />Women's 9/(Men's 7) --- 3-4 <br />Men's 10 --- 4-5 <br />Men's 12-13 --- 4-6<br /><br />Hope this helps,<br />-deppe4 <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yes, THANK YOU! This may go a long way towards explaining an problem I was having last week. Much appreciated.