People On Ergs At The Gym

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Carl Henrik

Training

Post by [old] Carl Henrik » December 7th, 2005, 9:44 am

<!--QuoteBegin-dmhayden+Dec 6 2005, 04:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dmhayden @ Dec 6 2005, 04:40 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-BigFatFishy+Dec 5 2005, 04:26 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(BigFatFishy @ Dec 5 2005, 04:26 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think Neil may have something there, if I've read him right.<br /><br />While it's cringefully funny sometimes to watch how badly some gym-heads use the erg, it would behoove us all to drop a helpful hint or two to the abusers rather than laugh into our sleeves (I row in tank top, so no sleeves to snicker into).<br /><br />I've done this a few times, and have found that most people appreciate the help.  Mostly its about the stroke sequence, so they don't have to constantly raise the handle over their knees and wag the chain so badly.  A little technique goes a long way.  Just ask first before passing along your finite wisdom.<br /><br />Not to be sanctimonious here, but it would be better for us to be ambassadors of the sport rather than snobs. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Does C2 produce a wall chart showing proper rowing technique, suggested damper settings, and stuff like that that might be useful to a complete beginner? It would probably be a good idea. The folks in the gym with the terrible form aren't dummies, they just haven't been taught how to do it. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />It's a good idea, dmhayden. Perhaps it's just the gym owners who does not have free wall space to put up the charts, what with all those mirrors being a higher priority, or they don't acknowledge the ergers technique as a problem. <br /><br />We have a chart at the rowing club so they do exist. <br /><br />I think all this is good hearted fun though and not being snobby. But kudos on BigFatFishy for raising the warning flag. <br /><br />