Vertical Hands Rowing Bar

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
ec1957
Paddler

Vertical Hands Rowing Bar

Post by ec1957 » December 4th, 2021, 7:30 pm

Would like to know if anyone can point me in the direction of a rowing handle / bar for the Concept2 that has the hand grips vertical versus the normal parallel handle that the rower comes with, thanks in advance.

chipman650
Paddler

Re: Vertical Hands Rowing Bar

Post by chipman650 » December 6th, 2021, 12:25 am

You could probably go to a bicycle store and purchase handlebar end extensions.
https://www.rei.com/product/837361/prof ... ends-black

Tony Cook
6k Poster

Post by Tony Cook » December 6th, 2021, 4:59 am

chipman650 wrote:
December 6th, 2021, 12:25 am
You could probably go to a bicycle store and purchase handlebar end extensions.
https://www.rei.com/product/837361/prof ... ends-black
Those wouldn’t work as the handle would rotate about the connection point to the chain and so try to tip your hands back. You would need a short bar with D shaped ends so the pressure was equal above and below the pivot point.
Born 1963 6' 5" 100Kg
PBs from 2020 - 100m 15.7s - 1min 355m - 500m 1:28.4 - 1k 3:10.6 - 2k 6:31.6 - 5k 17:34.9 - 6k 20:57.5 - 30min @ 20SPM 8,336m - 10k 36:28.0 - 1 hour 16,094m - HM 1:18:51.7
2021 - 5k 17:26 - FM 2:53:37.0

hankinsc
Paddler

Post by hankinsc » December 6th, 2021, 5:45 pm

Search "seated row d handle" online - a lot of options will pop up and maybe one will work.
https://log.concept2.com/profile/1178327/log
"If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got." Susan Jeffers

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » December 6th, 2021, 5:58 pm

If C2 has spare parts for the Dyno (I'd be a bit surprised if they do) then they might be able to help:

Cyclist2
10k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » December 7th, 2021, 5:28 pm

There was a guy with the forum name "slidewinder" who was making mods to the erg. He had a handle that allowed rotation of the hands. Here is a topic thread: viewtopic.php?t=10453.

The picture/video didn't show up when I went to that thread (it is old), but there are other home-made mods shown. You could also buy some of those weight lifting rowing handles (search amazon).
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

Siameez
Paddler

Post by Siameez » March 28th, 2022, 3:19 am

My answer for getting more hand/wrist/arm movement, freedom...

Works great and I can start and end my stroke with my hands in any position, and the black plastic/rubber handles rotate freely, which is really nice. I can even do curls!

Note to C2/Rowing Purists: this handle is for EXCERCISE ONLY and not intended to duplicate or simulate in any way, an OTW rowing stroke, though i find it more enjoyable to use than the straight handle, and I feel I get a better workout...

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » March 29th, 2022, 7:55 pm

Siameez wrote:
March 28th, 2022, 3:19 am

Works great and I can start and end my stroke with my hands in any position, and the black plastic/rubber handles rotate freely, which is really nice. I can even do curls!

Note to C2/Rowing Purists: this handle is for EXCERCISE ONLY and not intended to duplicate or simulate in any way, an OTW rowing stroke, though i find it more enjoyable to use than the straight handle, and I feel I get a better workout...
Welcome to the forum! I can see the inspiration for your forum name...

I'm sure some "purists" (as you rightfully call them) might take issue with your handles, but as long as what you're doing doesn't result in any injuries, if they work for you and you like them, then by all means, use them. Anything that encourages someone to row more and get a better workout is by definition a good thing.

Thread drift: How does / do your cat/s react to your rowing? Lately I'm been doing all my rowing at the gym, but back when I used my Model C at home my cats were surprisingly not frightened, so I had to be careful that no tails were ever caught under the seat rollers.

Siameez
Paddler

Post by Siameez » March 30th, 2022, 12:00 am

Yeah, my cats just sit up on somewhere high, like on their cat-tree, and just watch...

They don't get close to me on the rower...

They seem to be fascinated with the flywheel...

Siameez
Paddler

Post by Siameez » April 3rd, 2022, 5:05 pm

Here's my finished set up!

The wider foot position helps with my big belly!

And because of the freedom of movement using the handles, I can twist my upper body at the end of my stroke (as part of my exercise) so I put two strips of UHMW plastic on either side of the chain opening, so the chain slides on slippery plastic at the end of my stroke when twisting...

My C2 is now optimized for an old guy with a big gut to exercise! (Again, not to train for OTW rowing in a narrow sculling boat)

Tsnor
10k Poster

Post by Tsnor » April 3rd, 2022, 10:01 pm

Siameez wrote:
April 3rd, 2022, 5:05 pm
Here's my finished set up
NICE!

Do you feel any difference in muscles triggered based on hand orientation ? (looks like you can change hand position to any rotation now on each stroke)

Does changing your hand position change your rowing splits at the same effort level ?

One note: clipless bicycle shoes need freedom to rotate the foot slightly left/right to avoid knee problems (called cleat float or pedal float). C2 foot rests also allow some left/right rotation presumably for the same reason -- and you still have that in your design, . The wider position you are using has changed the range of possible positions (toe in/out angles) for your feet. If you get knee strain maybe try altering the angle a bit, and as you lose weight and move towards a more typical leg drive you may want to move the foot angle closer to original angle. *** (not a doctor, etc.)

Siameez
Paddler

Post by Siameez » April 4th, 2022, 9:53 am

I Definitely feel more muscles triggered! My hands are not limited by the narrow width of the handle so I can pull my arms completely back, handles vertical, and get a complete pull back! Also, I can pull with my palms up, so I can do curls.

And here's the movement I like the most, I can move my hands/arms to the right or left of me, with any combination of hand rotation.

My favorite is, (for instance pulling to the right), right hand pulling completely back to my right side, hand vertical, and my left hand pulling toward my chest, palm toward the chest. The arm/hand movement happens during the drive, and both these arm/hand positions are done simultaneously.

I can work my triceps very nicely by pulling, (for instance for the right), my right arm pulls into a straight arm, moving straight down to my side, palm facing forward. Really feel this in my triceps!

I don't how this available movement affects my splits. I haven't been really tracking that, but I know I get a deeper finish with my arms pulled all-the-way back, hands vertical and either side of my chest, opposed to only pulling back to a praying-mantis position, with hands in-front of chest or under your chin.

As far as foot spread and angle, I think that (for me), even if I didn't have a big bely, it makes more anatomical/mechanical sense to have the feet more toward shoulder width, or at least pelvis width apart, with a little foot outward splay. (look at the dead-lift lifting form, feet spread to pelvis-shoulder width, feet turned a little outward)

I'm convinced that the narrow foot width and feet vertical positioning on the C2 (and most rowing machines) is to approximate the narrow foot position on a traditional, narrow sculling boat... Not anatomically/mechanically ideal, but will simulate your foot positioning that occurs in a sculling boat...

I'm looking for exercise, not to train to row OTW in a sculling boat...

I'm happy with my set-up and it gives me a good workout, that is comfortable and effective, for me!

SoonerCed
Paddler

Post by SoonerCed » April 20th, 2024, 1:24 pm

Siameez wrote:
April 3rd, 2022, 5:05 pm
Here's my finished set up!

Outstanding! I'm looking to do this as well. Any tips on designing the footplate?

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » April 21st, 2024, 7:06 am

Cyclist2 wrote:
December 7th, 2021, 5:28 pm
There was a guy with the forum name "slidewinder" who was making mods to the erg. He had a handle that allowed rotation of the hands. Here is a topic thread: viewtopic.php?t=10453.
Hello.

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » April 21st, 2024, 7:32 am

Siameez wrote:
March 28th, 2022, 3:19 am

The standard, single-piece, rigid stock handle is also not intended to duplicate or simulate in any way an OTW rowing stroke. During a sculling stroke the handgrips move through two arcs. During a sweep stroke the handgrip moves through one arc. The standard handle does neither.

Your cobbled together assembly is similar to the Sport Trak handle suggested on C2's website as a handle suitable for adaptive rowers. So what does that handle do that the C2 stock handle doesn't? Well, it enables rotation of the hands anywhere from vertical to horizontal (as does yours). The stock handle doesn't do that. It also ensures that the hands, wrists, and forearms remain in bio-mechanically correct alignment throughout the stroke (as does yours). The stock handle doesn't do that either. But apparently only adaptive rowers are entitled to these benefits. Concept 2 clearly states that installation of this handle will void all C2 rower warranties. That seems odd, since that handle would obviously benefit all users.

However, there are two problems with your handle and the Sport Trak handle which, for a lot of users, negates all of the benefits: Both limit one's forward reach at the catch. Maybe it doesn't for you, but for a lot of users it would. Sport Trak Fitness, in its demonstration video, shows a stocky man using the handle, and even he appears cramped at the catch. Also, both your handle and the Sport Trak handle are ugly. Both these problems are correctable. I know how to correct them, and so does Concept 2.