A Fast 2 K

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] hjs

Training

Post by [old] hjs » November 14th, 2005, 5:19 am

I thought it would be nice to start a new topic for the non wolverin plan trainers. The reason I do this: I see and hear everybody making lots off km and doing not to much speedtraining. <br /><br />At the moment I am not able to train fast but I did when I rowed at my best.<br />My pb on the 2 k was 6.14 on the 1 k 2.56 30 min 8712 meters. I rowed 3/4 times a week abut 25 k a week. Did almost no endurence training. I did intervals at 90 % off hartrate. <br /><br />max min rest is 100 %<br />90 % is rest plus 90 %<br /><br />3 x 1500 8 min rest<br />5 x 1000 5 min rest<br />or 5 k at 90 %<br /><br />or speedtraining in the form off 5 x 500 at almost max speed with long rest.<br />Or 10 x 300 with 1 min rest 3/5 sec fastre dan 2 k pace.<br /><br />I know this ws not enough to row my best but just making a lot off k is also not the way to achieve your best on the shorter distances.<br /><br />I hope to hear your comments.<br /><br /><br />greetings Henry

[old] hjs

Training

Post by [old] hjs » November 14th, 2005, 8:51 am

friend off mine (40 y) did a nice training yester day.<br /><br />6 k 148,7 every 500 meters 100 burst off 1.35. rest 154/55. <br />he will row his first 2 k this year in about 2 weaks. goal 6.30 pb 6.25

[old] gw1

Training

Post by [old] gw1 » November 14th, 2005, 10:08 am

hjs,<br /><br />I'm definitely a low volume proponent for myself (50k per week). However i do like the WP's structure.<br /><br />GW

[old] Jim Barry

Training

Post by [old] Jim Barry » November 14th, 2005, 10:58 am

I've seen some stellar performances with an almost all interval based rowing approach. The trouble seems to be the long term. Rowing potential is something realized in terms of years. Intervals and maximum effort shorter distance rowing can send your training into a tailspin if you keep it up year round. Some periods (even long periods) with distance rowing focus can help balance the rower offering fresh challenges to build more speed from. This would be my experience working with two indoor rowers for a few years watching them make progress toward world class times. (5:54.9 age 34 and 6:24 LW age 38) <br />

[old] gw1

Training

Post by [old] gw1 » November 14th, 2005, 11:14 am

[quote=Jim Barry,Nov 14 2005, 09:58 AM]<br /> The trouble seems to be the long term. Rowing potential is something realized in terms of years. Intervals and maximum effort shorter distance rowing can send your training into a tailspin if you keep it up year round. [QUOTE]<br /><br />Good point Jim, i found that 2 longer (around 10k) rows a week, combined with on water training is sufficient for me outside the 16-20 weeks i use to prepare for a race.<br /><br />GW

[old] Jim Barry

Training

Post by [old] Jim Barry » November 14th, 2005, 11:50 am

Nice balance, Gary<br /><br />

[old] xdarrylx

Training

Post by [old] xdarrylx » November 14th, 2005, 1:36 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-hjs+Nov 14 2005, 04:19 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hjs @ Nov 14 2005, 04:19 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I thought it would be nice to start a new topic for the non wolverin plan trainers.  The reason I do this: I see and hear everybody making lots off km and doing not to much speedtraining. <br /><br />At the moment I am not able to train fast but I did when I rowed at my best.<br />My pb on the 2 k was 6.14 on the 1 k 2.56 30 min 8712 meters. I rowed 3/4 times a week abut 25 k a week. Did almost no endurence training. I did intervals at 90 % off hartrate. <br /><br />max min rest is 100 %<br />90 % is rest plus 90 %<br /><br />3 x 1500  8 min rest<br />5 x 1000  5 min rest<br />or 5 k at 90 %<br /><br />or speedtraining in the form off  5 x 500 at almost max speed with long rest.<br />Or 10 x 300 with 1 min rest 3/5 sec fastre dan 2 k pace.<br /><br />I know this ws not enough to row my best but just making a lot off k is also not the way to achieve your best on the shorter distances.<br /><br />I hope to hear your comments.<br /><br /><br />greetings  Henry <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That's very interesting.<br />So this is your training 3-4x per week, huh? <br /><br />Hmmm, I might try to incorporate some of that into my workout.<br />Thanks!

[old] hjs

Training

Post by [old] hjs » November 14th, 2005, 2:50 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-xdarrylx+Nov 14 2005, 06:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(xdarrylx @ Nov 14 2005, 06:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-hjs+Nov 14 2005, 04:19 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hjs @ Nov 14 2005, 04:19 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I thought it would be nice to start a new topic for the non wolverin plan trainers.  The reason I do this: I see and hear everybody making lots off km and doing not to much speedtraining. <br /><br />At the moment I am not able to train fast but I did when I rowed at my best.<br />My pb on the 2 k was 6.14 on the 1 k 2.56 30 min 8712 meters. I rowed 3/4 times a week abut 25 k a week. Did almost no endurence training. I did intervals at 90 % off hartrate. <br /><br />max min rest is 100 %<br />90 % is rest plus 90 %<br /><br />3 x 1500  8 min rest<br />5 x 1000  5 min rest<br />or 5 k at 90 %<br /><br />or speedtraining in the form off  5 x 500 at almost max speed with long rest.<br />Or 10 x 300 with 1 min rest 3/5 sec fastre dan 2 k pace.<br /><br />I know this ws not enough to row my best but just making a lot off k is also not the way to achieve your best on the shorter distances.<br /><br />I hope to hear your comments.<br /><br /><br />greetings  Henry <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That's very interesting.<br />So this is your training 3-4x per week, huh? <br /><br />Hmmm, I might try to incorporate some of that into my workout.<br />Thanks! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />;-)) I really rowed 3/4 times a week<br /><br /><br />This is a brief example off what i did. I must say that I had a background from track and field and a reasenable good basic condition.<br />But what I want to say is, you don't have to make lots and lots of hours and train almost every day on your erg to get reasenable good results. <br />Two important rules you always have to remember are :<br /><br /> Not your training but your recovery makes you stronger. In other words, train enough and hard enough but don't do to much and don't train to hard.<br /><br />number two Not the amount off training is the important factor but the qualiti, meaning not the amount off meters you row is most important but the pace in with your row is the important factor. In practis a 5 k in 90 % of your hartrate is better training than 12 k just rowing.<br /><br />succes<br />

[old] xdarrylx

Training

Post by [old] xdarrylx » November 14th, 2005, 5:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-hjs+Nov 14 2005, 01:50 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hjs @ Nov 14 2005, 01:50 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->;-))  I really rowed 3/4 times a week<br /><br /><br />This is a brief example off what i did. I must say that I had a background from track and field and a reasenable good basic condition.<br />But what I want to say is, you don't have to make lots and lots of hours and train almost every day on your erg to get reasenable good results.  <br />Two important rules you always have to remember are :<br /><br /> Not your training but your recovery makes you stronger. In other words, train enough and hard enough but don't do to much and don't train to hard.<br /><br />number two Not the amount off training is the important factor but the qualiti, meaning not the amount off meters you row is most important but the pace in with your row is the important factor. In practis  a 5 k in 90 % of your hartrate is better training than 12 k just rowing.<br /><br />succes <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Great advice Henry! <br /><br />I am going to try the 5x1,000m tonight, with a 5:00 rest between, and see how I fare.

[old] H_2O

Training

Post by [old] H_2O » November 14th, 2005, 8:32 pm

I have reluctantly come to the same conclusion (ie. row less and faster).<br />I think in the competition phase I'll try to row every other day rather than every day with lots of cycling and some swimming at low intensity in between.<br /><br />A reasonable 8 day cycle could be:<br />fast half hour, 4 times 2K, 4 times 1K, 500s separated by one rest day each.<br /><br />If I train every day and following the WP or C2-UK guide every workout is hard and I get<br />tired and the quality of the workouts suffers. On the other hand if I take a day off rowing the next day I am much stronger.<br /><br />I was convinced of the uselessness of volume when I trained for a marathon recently and hoped the increased "base" would lead to some progress.<br />Quite on the contrary even though the marathon was OK all else (including the halfmarathon)<br />suffered severely as a result.

[old] hjs

Training

Post by [old] hjs » November 15th, 2005, 5:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin-H_2O+Nov 15 2005, 01:32 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(H_2O @ Nov 15 2005, 01:32 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have reluctantly come to the same conclusion (ie. row less and faster).<br />I think in the competition phase I'll try to row every other day rather than every day with lots of cycling and some swimming at low intensity in between.<br /><br />A reasonable 8 day cycle could be:<br />fast half hour, 4 times 2K, 4 times 1K, 500s separated by one rest day each.<br /><br />If I train every day and following the WP or C2-UK guide every workout is hard and I get<br />tired and the quality of the workouts suffers. On the other hand if I take a day off rowing the next day I am much stronger.<br /><br />I was convinced of the uselessness of volume when I trained for a marathon recently and hoped the increased "base" would lead to some progress.<br />Quite on the contrary even though the marathon was OK all else (including the halfmarathon)<br />suffered severely as a result. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />It depends on what distance you want to peak at. for a 2 k you need more speed in my opinion. You must be able to row faster than your racespeed quit easy. So you have to train that speed. Speedtraining is quit relax, you don't have to go 100% and you surely must not exhaust yourself. Just row in a easy pace and every 500/700 meter make a burst off 10 strokes about 5/7 seconds faster than your 2 k speed. Use a strong not to fast strokerate. As soon as you feel losing your 100% power go back to your easy pace and relax. repeat this 12/15 times.<br /><br />As a hole you row 12/15 x 600 meters and 1200/1500 above your 2 k speed. <br />

[old] Pete Marston

Training

Post by [old] Pete Marston » November 17th, 2005, 11:08 am

Henry,<br /><br />How tall are you, and how much did you weigh / how old were you when you did your 6:14 for 2k?<br /><br />Anyone can get pretty good times from doing 3 or 4 good quality, intense, sessions each week. You'll not get very good times, or reach your full potential, without paying more attention to endurance, though.<br /><br />I agree, distance for the sake of distance isn't necessary, and the pace (and rate!) you row your metres at is more important than how many metres you row. But if 5k is the most you ever rowed at once, you'd never reach your best performances.<br /><br />The most I ever row in a week is 60k, all good quality metres, rowing 6 days per week, 3 hard days, 3 slightly easier days.<br /><br />Pete

[old] hjs

Training

Post by [old] hjs » November 17th, 2005, 11:28 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Pete Marston+Nov 17 2005, 04:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Pete Marston @ Nov 17 2005, 04:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Henry,<br /><br />How tall are you, and how much did you weigh / how old were you when you did your 6:14 for 2k?<br /><br />Anyone can get pretty good times from doing 3 or 4 good quality, intense, sessions each week. You'll not get very good times, or reach your full potential, without paying more attention to endurance, though.<br /><br />I agree, distance for the sake of distance isn't necessary, and the pace (and rate!) you row your metres at is more important than how many metres you row. But if 5k is the most you ever rowed at once, you'd never reach your best performances.<br /><br />The most I ever row in a week is 60k, all good quality metres, rowing 6 days per week, 3 hard days, 3 slightly easier days.<br /><br />Pete <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi pete,<br /><br />I was 34/35. hight 6.1 (1.86) weight 97/98 kg. I agree i could have don better but what I wanted to say with my remarks is that the enormes amounts of training some people do is not to do for most people. <br />

[old] csabour

Training

Post by [old] csabour » November 17th, 2005, 3:42 pm

many studies have come to the conclusion that interval training DOES make you faster. however, the results are much better with a strong aerobic base.<br /><br />so you are right to a degree, but don't disregard the aerobic training.<br /><br />months of aerobic(long steady rowing) plus final weeks of interval trainings(sub 2k paces) and you will get the best results.<br /><br />as for training frequency... frankly no one knows for sure. I'd say that you get better training 9 times a week as oppose to 4 'quality' times a week. how much better? not much. BUT. by how much do you win those spring time races? not much.<br /><br />there aren't studies to prove either of us <i>definately</i> right. but all i can speculate is that if we look at national team training scheduals they train 2-3 times a day and i think there is a reason why the canadian national team trains they that. they win.