Calf Trouble

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] sdo

Training

Post by [old] sdo » November 4th, 2005, 4:59 pm

Hi,<br />I am looking for some advice. I started back training on rower 2 months ago. Recently I have been getting some cramps in my calves and feel that if i tense them too much they will cease up. Today was doing a 40 min at 22spm and after 20min felt my calves were burning like there was a build up of lactic, i carried on as it wasnt painful they just seemed to be suffering more than the rest of me. I would be interested to know what you think I should do to combat this problem or is this sensation common among rowers. I am 17 and male. <br />Thank you

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » November 4th, 2005, 5:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-sdo+Nov 4 2005, 12:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(sdo @ Nov 4 2005, 12:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi,<br />I am looking for some advice. I started back training on rower 2 months ago. Recently I have been getting some cramps in my calves and feel that if i tense them too much they will cease up. Today was doing a 40 min at 22spm and after 20min felt my calves were burning like there was a build up of lactic, i carried on as it wasnt painful they just seemed to be suffering more than the rest of me. I would be interested to know what you think I should do to combat this problem or is this sensation common among rowers. I am 17 and male. <br />Thank you <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />It could be that you are contracting your calf muscles throughout the stroke and not giving them much of a chance to recover. After 400+ calf raises, I'd expect considerable cramping. Focus on driving at the stretchers through your heels, with the whole foot staying in contact because it is relaxed for most of the stroke. If your heels must raise to get your shins vertical when coming to the catch, let them lift slightly, but continue to work on ankle flexibility.<br /><br />Were you rowing your 40 minute piece at firm pressure?

[old] chudwell

Training

Post by [old] chudwell » November 4th, 2005, 11:09 pm

I have started getting cramps in my calves and in my oblique abdominal muscles lately. I called my DR today to ask for help. Advice was to drink more water/liquids in general, and add some seltzer water to my diet. It has quinine (spelling?), which apparently helps with cramping.<br /><br />Any other suggestions out there?<br /><br />I've heard that bananas are good for cramps, but can't find evidence.

[old] raymond botha

Training

Post by [old] raymond botha » November 5th, 2005, 5:13 am

Hi guy's ,<br /><br />I aslo find calf cramping , worse over longer distances (40min). To me it seems foot position related, I changed the height position and this helped. I noticed that I am mostly always on my toes, although my legs from my knees down seem relaxed. I concentrate much more on my hands when rowing and let my legs do their own thing. I have also noticed that my feet can cramp if i flex them when off the rower. I am flat footed and am going to try inserts to try raise my arch.<br /><br />My calf cramp is only felt from ankle to where the calf muscle starts (ie the flat sheath of muscle not the ball muscle that starts halfway up the lower leg)<br /><br />Ray