New Erg On The Way

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] adkmurray

Training

Post by [old] adkmurray » October 25th, 2005, 6:07 pm

Hello All,<br />Anxiously awaiting a new erg which should show up tomorrow. Sold my last one in 1999 after coming down with a serious lower back problem and never thought I'd be able to row again. I'm now 62 years old and hoping the erg will keep me fit for a few more years. Pretty amazing all this info available on the net now. Have several questions re training but will search out the forum more before I ask any.<br />Cheers,<br />Jim

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » October 25th, 2005, 6:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-adkmurray+Oct 25 2005, 03:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(adkmurray @ Oct 25 2005, 03:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello All,<br />Anxiously awaiting a new erg which should show up tomorrow.  Sold my last one in 1999 after coming down with a serious lower back problem and never thought I'd be able to row again.  I'm now 62 years old and hoping the erg will keep me fit for a few more years.  Pretty amazing all this info available on the net now.  Have several questions re  training but will search out the forum more before I ask any.<br />Cheers,<br />Jim <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Welcome back! Have you been trying any rowing on an Erg lately? If not, take the pace that you think is ridiculously slow (from memories of 1999), add 30 seconds to it and make that your starting point, you can take the next 30 sessions to tidy up technique and get to the "ridiculously slow" pace, by targeting 1 second in pace reduction per day. Then, while remaining injury free, continue on with the pace reduction until it is where you want it to be.<br /><br />I know it will seem like you are not getting anything done, but you are, and we're in it for the marathon, not the sprint. <br /><br />All the best!

[old] adkmurray

Training

Post by [old] adkmurray » October 26th, 2005, 12:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Oct 25 2005, 06:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Oct 25 2005, 06:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-adkmurray+Oct 25 2005, 03:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(adkmurray @ Oct 25 2005, 03:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello All,<br />Anxiously awaiting a new erg which should show up tomorrow.  Sold my last one in 1999 after coming down with a serious lower back problem and never thought I'd be able to row again.  I'm now 62 years old and hoping the erg will keep me fit for a few more years.  Pretty amazing all this info available on the net now.  Have several questions re  training but will search out the forum more before I ask any.<br />Cheers,<br />Jim <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Welcome back! Have you been trying any rowing on an Erg lately? If not, take the pace that you think is ridiculously slow (from memories of 1999), add 30 seconds to it and make that your starting point, you can take the next 30 sessions to tidy up technique and get to the "ridiculously slow" pace, by targeting 1 second in pace reduction per day. Then, while remaining injury free, continue on with the pace reduction until it is where you want it to be.<br /><br />I know it will seem like you are not getting anything done, but you are, and we're in it for the marathon, not the sprint. <br /><br />All the best! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Ok, thanks Paul will give it a try.

[old] RickMan

Training

Post by [old] RickMan » October 26th, 2005, 2:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Oct 25 2005, 06:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Oct 25 2005, 06:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Welcome back!  Have you been trying any rowing on an Erg lately?  If not, take the pace that you think is ridiculously slow (from memories of 1999), add 30 seconds to it and make that your starting point, you can take the next 30 sessions to tidy up technique and get to the "ridiculously slow" pace, by targeting 1 second in pace reduction per day.  Then, while remaining injury free, continue on with the pace reduction until it is where you want it to be.<br /><br />I know it will seem like you are not getting anything done, but you are, and we're in it for the marathon, not the sprint.  <br /><br />All the best! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Wow Paul. Thanks for that post. As a beginner, I find that this type of 'protect your health first, improve your performance second' type of thinking to be way out of the scope of a lot of these threads because a lot of people are so advanced in their training. I would personally like to see more of it for people like me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one prone to injury and trying to find a balance between what I want to do and what my carcass will let me. <br />

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » October 26th, 2005, 3:33 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RickMan+Oct 26 2005, 11:18 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RickMan @ Oct 26 2005, 11:18 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Oct 25 2005, 06:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Oct 25 2005, 06:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Welcome back!  Have you been trying any rowing on an Erg lately?  If not, take the pace that you think is ridiculously slow (from memories of 1999), add 30 seconds to it and make that your starting point, you can take the next 30 sessions to tidy up technique and get to the "ridiculously slow" pace, by targeting 1 second in pace reduction per day.  Then, while remaining injury free, continue on with the pace reduction until it is where you want it to be.<br /><br />I know it will seem like you are not getting anything done, but you are, and we're in it for the marathon, not the sprint.   <br /><br />All the best! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Wow Paul. Thanks for that post. As a beginner, I find that this type of 'protect your health first, improve your performance second' type of thinking to be way out of the scope of a lot of these threads because a lot of people are so advanced in their training. I would personally like to see more of it for people like me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one prone to injury and trying to find a balance between what I want to do and what my carcass will let me. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Rick. I wish I could say that this was always my way of thinking, it would have saved a lot of pain over the years. Of course my early thinking (if you could call it that) was more along the lines of "I'm invinicble, if the body breaks it will probably die and I won't have anything to worry about anyhow." Fortunately I had taken a long time conditioning myself prior to the destructive thoughts, so lasted for a long time before the eventual failure, denial, reinjury, blah, blah....<br /><br />Now, 21 years later, 4 years into regaining some sort of acceptable Rowing fitness, and training others along the way, even I have finally learned that slow steady progress trumps the "start/injury/recover/repeat" method every time. Also, an exercise that we can and will do each day, beats out one that we won't. Quality first, quantity next. <br /><br />From time to time, we certainly want to test ourselves to the limit, but making that an everyday thing will hinder progress and likely not even show us what we want to know. Final thing, do keep a good log of your training that you can look back on and see what sort of things your body liked, and what it didn't.<br /><br />Cheers!

[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » October 26th, 2005, 3:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-adkmurray+Oct 25 2005, 05:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(adkmurray @ Oct 25 2005, 05:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello All,<br />Anxiously awaiting a new erg which should show up tomorrow.  Sold my last one in 1999 after coming down with a serious lower back problem and never thought I'd be able to row again.  I'm now 62 years old and hoping the erg will keep me fit for a few more years.  Pretty amazing all this info available on the net now.  Have several questions re  training but will search out the forum more before I ask any.<br />Cheers,<br />Jim <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi Jim<br />Did you hurt your back rowing?<br />I know how it feels to get a new rowing machine, it is the same as a "new" car. I may be a little dramatic. Did you get the "SLIDES?" It makes rowing the rower much smoother. AND before I fogret, do you log your miles on the concept2 website? If you are interested, we welcome anybody to join our ranks to try to catch two other teams for first place in the world ranking! I belong to the IRON OARSMAN. <br />All the best,<br />XENO

[old] FrankJ

Training

Post by [old] FrankJ » October 26th, 2005, 6:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-adkmurray+Oct 25 2005, 10:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(adkmurray @ Oct 25 2005, 10:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello All,<br />Anxiously awaiting a new erg which should show up tomorrow.  Sold my last one in 1999 after coming down with a serious lower back problem and never thought I'd be able to row again.  I'm now 62 years old and hoping the erg will keep me fit for a few more years.  Pretty amazing all this info available on the net now.  Have several questions re  training but will search out the forum more before I ask any.<br />Cheers,<br />Jim <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Jim,<br /><br />I was diagnosed with a bad back at age 27. I took up erging 3 years ago at age 57 after 30 years of running with my knees givin out on me. Two things I have done seem to make it easier on my back. First is that instead of reaching around my knees at the catch I reach between them. This allows me to keep my back straighter because I pivot at the hips. The other thing is that I picked up slides in my first year. Slides are great for doing long rows or speed work when you want to keep the pressure off of your back. In fact I would say after 3 years on the erg my back is as strong as it has even been. Good luck on finding a solution that works for you.<br /><br />Frank

[old] unclearconcept

Training

Post by [old] unclearconcept » October 26th, 2005, 9:12 pm

hey jim, my new erg just arrived today too! splendid machine <br /><br />did a peaceful 15 minute break-in row for ~2500 meters. will crank it up a tad in the days to come, figure technique counts after reading through all these forums!<br /><br />hope yours treats you just as nicely!

[old] adkmurray

Training

Post by [old] adkmurray » October 27th, 2005, 5:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Xeno+Oct 26 2005, 03:44 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Xeno @ Oct 26 2005, 03:44 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-adkmurray+Oct 25 2005, 05:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(adkmurray @ Oct 25 2005, 05:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello All,<br />Anxiously awaiting a new erg which should show up tomorrow.  Sold my last one in 1999 after coming down with a serious lower back problem and never thought I'd be able to row again.  I'm now 62 years old and hoping the erg will keep me fit for a few more years.  Pretty amazing all this info available on the net now.  Have several questions re  training but will search out the forum more before I ask any.<br />Cheers,<br />Jim <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi Jim<br />Did you hurt your back rowing?<br />I know how it feels to get a new rowing machine, it is the same as a "new" car. I may be a little dramatic. Did you get the "SLIDES?" It makes rowing the rower much smoother. AND before I fogret, do you log your miles on the concept2 website? If you are interested, we welcome anybody to join our ranks to try to catch two other teams for first place in the world ranking! I belong to the IRON OARSMAN. <br />All the best,<br />XENO <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Xeno,<br />No, did not injure the back on the rowing machine. Can't pinpoint anything specific probably due to an accumulation of various sports, military who knows, just general deterioration. Running was my main thing and when I reached my mid fifties I began to get some pain in my left foot. Tried new shoes etc. then finally went to a foot doctor who told me it was my back. Well, what did he know? Foot pain from the back-nonsense. Continued running untill I couldn't walk anymore and eventually the pain felt like walking on glass. Off to the Neurologist for a few years of therapy and learning how to do things without injury to the back. Now in pretty good shape and know my limits. Thanks for the invite, but not quite ready for competition just yet although during my first row today in about 5 years I felt like really having a go at it. I restrained myself and will take it easy for quite a while. Hopefully the time will come when I can get back up in the rankings but for now it sure feels great to energize all those muscles again.<br />Cheers,<br />Jim