Who Rows In The Morning?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] DavidW

Training

Post by [old] DavidW » October 3rd, 2005, 8:48 pm

I feel weak first thing in the morning because the body's core temperature is at its lowest at this time. This makes it more difficult to get warmed up properly for a row, but then I am in the privileged position of having enough spare time not to need to row this early..

[old] Laupi

Training

Post by [old] Laupi » October 5th, 2005, 2:15 pm

Well - I will give it a try - I try to go asleep earlier to see if I gain more bull strength in the morning. I hope I could manage in order to row more frquently. My job keeps me busy so I also can not row every night - may be easier to have a morning routine instead.....<br /><br />Wish me luck.....

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » October 5th, 2005, 3:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Wish me luck..... </td></tr></table> <br /><br />Good luck, Laupi.<br /><br />There was a time when I thought I would never be a "morning person." These days my schedule is a little like chispaislas's schedule except I only row once each day. My mornings are so much fun. I set the alarm for 5:00. I put the shell in the water about 6:00. It's still dark, so we all use flashing lights. The river is full of rowers: There are the women's varsity MSU rowers, the MSU crew team, a club sport which does not receive any funding from the university, and also the Lansing Oar and Paddle Club consisting of rowers of all ages and abilities. It's a glorious sight: flashing lights moving up and down the river. It is very quiet except when one of the 8's comes flying past, with the oars simultaneously dropping into the oarlocks and making that thunking noise. Other than the noise of a launch's motor, a coach talking to a crew, or a coxswain giving commands, or the ducks, it is quiet and peaceful. What a way to start the day. Once in a while some ducks quack to complain because they have to get out of the way. They take their revenge on the rowers by pooping on the docks. <br /><br />After the row, I come home and usually go for a trike ride. Some days the wife and I ride to lunch on the Irish Mails. Since I'm retired I don't have to go to the university any more. Of course in bad weather I'm on the C2 in the mornings, usually spending an enjoyable workout with one of Xeno Muller's DVD's. <br /><br />Byron<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] rspenger

Training

Post by [old] rspenger » October 5th, 2005, 5:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Byron Drachman+Oct 5 2005, 12:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Byron Drachman @ Oct 5 2005, 12:01 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Wish me luck..... </td></tr></table><br /> There are the women's varsity MSU rowers, the MSU crew team, a club sport which does not receive any funding from the university, and also the Lansing Oar and Paddle Club consisting of rowers of all ages and abilities.<br />Byron <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Man! How I cringe when I see or hear the expression "crew team." A crew is a rowing team, period. To call it a "crew team" is repititively, pleonastically redundant. (Yeah, I did have to go digging around in my Synonym Finder to come up with that middle one.)<br /><br />Bob S., an old grump

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 5th, 2005, 6:45 pm

A saying on a tshirt:<br /><br />Department of Redundancy Department.

[old] dikndi

Training

Post by [old] dikndi » October 5th, 2005, 7:02 pm

Ive been a 04:30 guy for the last 2 years. I used to work out after work but the excuses were too easy.<br /><br />04:30 alarm goes off<br /><br />04:40 half a banana<br /><br />04:45 stretch<br /><br />04:55 10k in 38:30ish but get slower as the week progress's Drink water and Accelarade during work out.<br /><br />05:50 Rest of banana and 1 bowl of cereal.<br /><br />06:30 Off to work :-(<br /><br />The one great thing about early mornings is you sleep like a rock.

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » October 5th, 2005, 7:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->A crew is a rowing team, period. To call it a "crew team" is repititively, pleonastically redundant. </td></tr></table> <br /><br />I stand corrected, and being a fellow fuddy-duddy, I also have some pet peeves. I cringe when a sentence starts with "There are a large number of..." The MSU woman's crew website does refer to the team, as well as the coaches. If you do a Google search on msu crew, you'll find this phrase:<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Provides detailed information about the crew team, its staff, facilities, news </td></tr></table> <br /><br />Byron<br /><br />

[old] rspenger

Training

Post by [old] rspenger » October 5th, 2005, 7:41 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Byron Drachman+Oct 5 2005, 04:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Byron Drachman @ Oct 5 2005, 04:12 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> If you do a Google search on msu crew, you'll find this phrase:<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Provides detailed information about the crew team, its staff, facilities, news </td></tr></table><br /><br />Byron <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Bryon,<br /><br />I am not surprised at that since Athletic Department news releases and such are not written by the athletes or coaches, but by someone who probably has a background in journalism (or communications as they call it nowadays). I have seen the expression in newspapers on a number of occasions and it was even used in the official brochure for the San Diego Crew Classic in at least one year.<br /><br />By the way, did you notice my misspelling of repetitively? I didn't catch that until it was already sent. My face was red from the red ink flowing in my veins, itching to correct it.<br /><br />Bob S.

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » October 5th, 2005, 8:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> my misspelling of repetitively </td></tr></table> <br /><br />Yes, I did. Since we've gone off topic anyway, my wife was a journalism major back in the 50's, and she laments the errors we see in newspapers on a daily basis. There was a time when a grammatical error or confusing "that" with "which", "obtain" with "secure", etc. would draw a 25 cent fine. To go completely off topic, my father-in-law was a chief copy writer and he had the following sentence clipped and framed in his office: "It is difficult to tell whether or not this will do us some good or some harm. It could."<br /><br />Way enough. Back to rowing.<br /><br />Byron<br /><br />

[old] Coach Gus

Training

Post by [old] Coach Gus » October 5th, 2005, 9:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rspenger+Oct 5 2005, 01:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Oct 5 2005, 01:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Man! How I cringe when I see or hear the expression "crew team." A crew is a rowing team, period. To call it a "crew team" is repititively, pleonastically redundant. [right] <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I don't think a crew is defined as having anything specifically to do with rowing. A crew is a team, squad, group, troop, bunch, gang, etc. I guess this would mean you could have a football crew, baseball crew, track crew, army crew, Brady crew and therefore, we should also be saying rowing crew??<br /><br />Saying crew team then is the same as saying team team. <br /><br />

[old] gw1

Training

Post by [old] gw1 » October 5th, 2005, 9:31 pm

Throw alarm down, drink 20 oz water, 8 oz strong coffee<br />On the water 20 min before sun up! <br />Short warmup, into 60 - 75 min intervals, fartlek etc.<br />Back for oatmeal with protein powder mixed in! <br /><br />GW

[old] bmoore

Training

Post by [old] bmoore » October 5th, 2005, 9:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Coach Gus+Oct 5 2005, 09:17 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Coach Gus @ Oct 5 2005, 09:17 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-rspenger+Oct 5 2005, 01:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Oct 5 2005, 01:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Man! How I cringe when I see or hear the expression "crew team." A crew is a rowing team, period. To call it a "crew team" is repititively, pleonastically redundant. [right] <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I don't think a crew is defined as having anything specifically to do with rowing. A crew is a team, squad, group, troop, bunch, gang, etc. I guess this would mean you could have a football crew, baseball crew, track crew, army crew, Brady crew and therefore, we should also be saying rowing crew??<br /><br />Saying crew team then is the same as saying team team. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />From dictionary.com<br /><br />crew<br /><br />1.a. A group of people working together; a gang: a crew of stagehands. <br />1.b. A group of people gathered together temporarily; a crowd. <br /><br />2.a. All personnel operating or serving aboard a ship. <br />2.b. All of a ship's personnel except the officers. <br />2.c. All personnel operating or serving aboard an aircraft in flight. <br /><br />3.a. <u>Sports.</u> A team of rowers, as of a racing shell. <br />3.b. The sport of rowing. <br /><br />I think enough people have compounded the terms to where "crew team" is nearly accepted usage. (No matter how much you cringe). In my undergrad days at UCSB, the "crew team" was well respected as a group very serious athletes and highly regarded.

[old] gorow9

Training

Post by [old] gorow9 » October 5th, 2005, 10:30 pm

I'm the odd one here, I row at 4pm-6pm or 7pm depending. It's straight from school to crew then home for a shower, food and then hours of homework. After that I get to enjoy my five hours of sleep Then it repeats.<br />~Sara~

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 5th, 2005, 10:55 pm

If you can have a "crew cut", why can't you have a "crew team"?<br /><br />Maybe it's a team that's cut close to the head.<br /><br />One my pet peeves is people saying "uhmmmm". They do this a lot on the news, another reason why I don't watch the news.<br /><br />Depending on the situation and how well I know the person, a conversation might go like this.<br /><br />"Well what I did was go to the... uhmmm..... "<br /><br />"Umbrellas??????? ... umbrellas?????? ... You went to get some umbrellas??????"<br /><br />It can be quite fun at times.

[old] rspenger

Training

Post by [old] rspenger » October 6th, 2005, 1:05 am

[right] <br />[/quote]<br /><br />In my undergrad days at UCSB, the "crew team" was well respected as a group very serious athletes and highly regarded. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Times change I suppose, but some of us geezers have trouble changing with them. At UCB, in the 40s, it was simply crew and the other expression was always good for a laugh. Maybe it was different on the fresh water of Cachuma.<br /><br />Bob S.