Strokes Per Minute -

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] razorfizh

Training

Post by [old] razorfizh » October 9th, 2005, 8:51 pm

I'm a 6'6" guy (196cm) and have been studying up on training for the erg including <a href='http://http://concept2.ipbhost.com/inde ... topic=2820' target='_blank'>Development Squad Training plan</a> and the <a href='http://www.concept2.com/forums/wolverine_plan.htm' target='_blank'>Wolverine Plan</a> and noticing SPM play a big part of the training plans. <br /><br />However, for me to pull a 24 spm is a sprint - going anything higher, something else needs to change such as my stroke length or moving the damper from 9-10 down to 3-4. Is this how people are able to achieve 30+ spm or am I just way out of shape? Is the objective to get the higher spm in order to get better 2K scores? I've done 200 meter pieces in the past - and never got my SPM over 24 - then again, I'm not on the top of the ranking list either ..... <br /><br />

[old] michaelb

Training

Post by [old] michaelb » October 9th, 2005, 10:04 pm

I am not sure why you want to increase your SR. Most of those training plans seem to focus on rowing long and strong with lower SRs for the bulk of your training. You should reduce your damper from 9-10, since almost all of us use something lower, in the 100-150 range for drag, but still keep your SR what it is currently. For training, you may also want to try rowing strapless (don't use the foot straps).

[old] razorfizh

Training

Post by [old] razorfizh » October 9th, 2005, 10:33 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-michaelb+Oct 9 2005, 07:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(michaelb @ Oct 9 2005, 07:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> For training, you may also want to try rowing strapless (don't use the foot straps). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I saw that in the Wolverine plan - what is the purpose of going strapless and what benefit does it provide on an Erg? For me, going strapless would not allow me to finish the stoke off as strong.

[old] GutBustin'

Training

Post by [old] GutBustin' » October 9th, 2005, 10:50 pm

I think the idea of rowing strapless is to help balance your stroke better and to use your harmstrings to pull you back up the slide, and not cheat with the straps. It's done wonders to my stroke so far. Am I close with that explanation MichaelB?<br />GB

[old] george nz

Training

Post by [old] george nz » October 10th, 2005, 1:31 am

Hi Razor,<br /><br />I am 6'6" and yes getting your stroke rate up takes practice but there is no real need to shorten your stroke length.<br /><br />Your stroke rate should be tied to your pace I believe and of course your pace is dependent on your distance.<br /><br />I find sitting between 22 and 24 very natural, 26 I am thinking about, 28 I am really concentrating on, but still getting good stroke length. For me at the moment this is around 1:38 - 1:40 pace.<br /><br />When I am going flat out on a 2k (not that I could at present) then I would row one at about 32 / 33 and yes my stroke would be a little curtailed but not much.<br /><br />To pick up the rate you are reducing time on 2 areas, one is your drive is gets slightly quicker as you pick up the pace, but more often your recover gets quicker and this is accomplished by getting the hands away from the body quickly at the end of the drive and flowing into a smooth controlled recovery with the hands away before the knees break. If it is becoming a dash to the front stops then it is counter productive.<br /><br />Upping the rate takes practice to be controlled so if 24 seems quick dont try to get straight to 30, work on 26 then 28 then 30, ensuring the pace is improving at the same rate.<br /><br />Hope this helps, others know a lot more but feel free to drop me an e-mail, it is nice to have some long fellows around<br /><br />George<br /><br />

[old] george nz

Training

Post by [old] george nz » October 10th, 2005, 1:36 am

<!--QuoteBegin-GutBustin'+Oct 10 2005, 03:50 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(GutBustin' @ Oct 10 2005, 03:50 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think the idea of rowing strapless is to help balance your stroke better and to use your harmstrings to pull you back up the slide, and not cheat with the straps. It's done wonders to my stroke so far. Am I close with that explanation MichaelB?<br />GB <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Hi GB,<br /><br />strapless rowing is not really about using your hamstrings, after all if you are strapped in that is exactly what you are using.<br /><br />It is about having a good finnish at the end of the drive where the final effort with the arms halts you falling of the back when it is in sync and balanced with the leg drive, and it is about getting the hands away from the body quickly and the torso pivoting at the hips forward to flow into the recovery in a controlled manner before the legs break.<br /><br />Hope this makes sense<br /><br />George

[old] R S T

Training

Post by [old] R S T » October 10th, 2005, 7:01 am

Hi razor<br /><br />You must must must at least give rowing strapless a go....<br /><br />At first it is a strange feeling without the straps and there is a tendency to almost come off the erg at the finish - but this highlights lack of efficiency with your technique that has been instilled from relying on the straps. <br /><br />Rowing strapless will eventually improve your technique, and maximise the power you can exert on the handle right through to the end of the finish.<br /><br />With the exception the 500m or 2k (for which I use straps) all my PBS have been done strapless.<br /><br />Cheers<br />RichardT<br /><br />PS. There are some coaches on the forum who can explain the benefits of strapless more than me - try a search as there has been a lot of discussion on this subject.

[old] razorfizh

Training

Post by [old] razorfizh » October 10th, 2005, 12:36 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-george nz+Oct 9 2005, 10:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(george nz @ Oct 9 2005, 10:31 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Razor,<br /><br />I am 6'6" and yes getting your stroke rate up takes practice but there is no real need to shorten your stroke length.<br /><br />Your stroke rate should be tied to your pace I believe and of course your pace is dependent on your distance.<br /><br />I find sitting between 22 and 24 very natural, 26 I am thinking about, 28 I am really concentrating on, but still getting good stroke length.  For me at the moment this is around 1:38 - 1:40 pace.<br />George <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks George - so what is your Drag set at?

[old] george nz

Training

Post by [old] george nz » October 10th, 2005, 3:55 pm

Currently it is at 130, I tried it lower and it was easier in some ways but I dont really have the leg speed and it was creating a shorter drive as I was a tad slow at the catch in picking up the wheel.<br /><br />George

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » October 10th, 2005, 7:50 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I saw that in the Wolverine plan - what is the purpose of going strapless and what benefit does it provide on an Erg? For me, going strapless would not allow me to finish the stoke off as strong. </td></tr></table> <br /><br />Also check out the discussions in FAQ under rowing strapless. <br /><br />Byron