Erging At Night

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] oarswoman18

Training

Post by [old] oarswoman18 » August 23rd, 2005, 10:47 pm

i sometimes find myself erging at 9-10 at night. is there any one else that does this? is there any difference between rowing at night and in the afternoon? thanks.

[old] michaelb

Training

Post by [old] michaelb » August 23rd, 2005, 11:16 pm

I regularly row around 9pm; it is after the kids go to bed and the only time I really have to do it. I have gotten used to it, although if I row too late (say after 10pm) it is harder to go to sleep. I find that rowing at night after dinner really reduces how much I want or can eat, so it helps with losing weight.<br /><br />It is hard to push hard that late. I am definitely faster on the weekends in the mornings or afternoons, so I would only go for a PB then.

[old] jimjayhawk

Training

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » August 23rd, 2005, 11:28 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-oarswoman18+Aug 23 2005, 09:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(oarswoman18 @ Aug 23 2005, 09:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i sometimes find myself erging at 9-10 at night.  is there any one else that does this?  is there any difference between rowing at night and in the afternoon?  thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />More often than not late evening is the only time I can find to row during the work week... <br /><br />Like Michael, it is sometimes VERY difficult to push myself hard after a full day... I can slog through anything, but I don't worry as much about how fast I do it compared to a Saturday morning.... <br /><br />Jim S. <br /><br />P.S. I erg for weight loss and fitness... shooting for 50K a week or so... I'd be interested in hearing what the serious athletes in training have to say on the subject.

[old] bmoore

Training

Post by [old] bmoore » August 24th, 2005, 12:30 am

I've been rowing late (10PM - midnight) since May. I'll put the kids down, and then head downstairs to workout.<br /><br />It took some getting used to, but I'm doing 6 workouts per week (80-90 minutes each), with a full spectrum of workouts from short, hard intervals to long distance. (Monday was 8 x 500m, and Saturday night was a half marathon.)<br /><br />Tonight I finished a 12k at midnight. I'll cool down, grab a protein shake, shower, and usually can fall asleep within 15 minutes.<br /><br />But, this program is out of necessity. I don't have the option to workout during the day, and my morning discipline sucks as a backlash from 8 years as an Army officer. (I want my sleep!!!) I keep to this schedule even on weekends to stay consistent.

[old] TedCG

Training

Post by [old] TedCG » August 29th, 2005, 1:24 am

[quote=oarswoman18,Aug 23 2005, 09:47 PM]<br />i sometimes find myself erging at 9-10 at night. is there any one else that does this? is there any difference between rowing at night and in the afternoon? thanks. <br /> Usually I erg in the evening. So I'm usually pulling around 8:00 pm, after a day at work, and while supper is progressing. <br />Lately, I've been able to erg in mid-morning, and I do like that better. I feel fresher, and there are fewer distractions. <br />But the mornings are not going to last, so I'll just pull the chain whenever I can.<br />

[old] The Dude Abides

Training

Post by [old] The Dude Abides » August 29th, 2005, 1:34 am

I've started as late as midnight...if thats the only time i can get the meters in that day, then thats what i have to do.

[old] Zot

Training

Post by [old] Zot » August 29th, 2005, 4:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-oarswoman18+Aug 23 2005, 07:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(oarswoman18 @ Aug 23 2005, 07:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i sometimes find myself erging at 9-10 at night.  is there any one else that does this?  is there any difference between rowing at night and in the afternoon?  thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /> I usually erg after dinner - starting around 8 or 8:30. I usually do around 10K a night, but I did my first Marathon Saturday night. I find that if I erg too early in the day, I get too hungry later. Besides, my body is still asleep until at least noon every day, so I SUCK at morning workouts :-)<br /><br />By erging late evening, it's a toss up between getting sleepy/ hungry and sleep usually wins out.<br /><br />Zot

[old] bw1099

Training

Post by [old] bw1099 » August 29th, 2005, 9:21 pm

For a while I was erging in the mornings on weekends (9-10am) and a few evenings (~8pm) during the week. It really surprised me how much faster I was in the evenings. I knocked about 20 seconds off my PB for 2000k on my first evening session.<br /><br />bw

[old] John &#39;SugarBoy&#39; Foy

Training

Post by [old] John &#39;SugarBoy&#39; Foy » August 30th, 2005, 11:19 am

I usually do my rowing at about 9pm when my daughter has gone to bed. I don't feel any differences training at this hour as apposed to training at say lunchtime in my gym

[old] holm188

Training

Post by [old] holm188 » September 2nd, 2005, 5:56 am

I will start the online marathon on midnight sat/sun, never rowed that late, never done a marathon. I hope I will not fall asleep

[old] bobamiller

Training

Post by [old] bobamiller » September 16th, 2005, 1:02 am

While late workouts may not be ideal they are not an automatic barrier to top flight performance. 1952 Olympic Steeplechase Champion Horace Ashenfelter, an FBI agent, was noted for training at night.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/ashenfel.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/as ... tml</a><br /><br />Bob Miller

[old] NightRower

Training

Post by [old] NightRower » September 20th, 2005, 3:57 am

I work nightshift so I do the bulk of my rowing at night, as that is the day for me. But more than time of day is how I feel. If I feel like crap, I row like crap. <br /><br />Darren

[old] jasonclements

Training

Post by [old] jasonclements » September 20th, 2005, 4:55 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bw1099+Aug 30 2005, 02:21 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bw1099 @ Aug 30 2005, 02:21 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->For a while I was erging in the mornings on weekends (9-10am) and a few evenings (~8pm) during the week.  It really surprised me how much faster I was in the evenings.  I knocked about 20 seconds off my PB for 2000k on my first evening session.<br /><br />bw <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I have found exactly the same thing, been rowing on a c2 for nearly two years now, started initially doing primarily morning workouts but due to work have over the past 8 months done mostly evening workouts.<br /><br />My times when compared to my morning times are quicker by some margin. I think maybe later in the day the fact that Im tired after the rigours of the day is offset by the fact that I have eaten more and have more fuel in the tank.<br /><br />That's my take on it anyway.<br /><br />cheers<br /><br />

[old] Great Dane

Training

Post by [old] Great Dane » September 21st, 2005, 10:00 am

For me the biggest problem is re-hydrating afterwards. Drinking 1L of water and then sleeping with a full bladder. No idea how to avoid this

[old] bmoore

Training

Post by [old] bmoore » September 21st, 2005, 10:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Great Dane+Sep 21 2005, 10:00 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Great Dane @ Sep 21 2005, 10:00 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->For me the biggest problem is re-hydrating afterwards.  Drinking 1L of water and then sleeping with a full bladder.  No idea how to avoid this  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Diapers. OK, not my diapers, but youngest had been waking up between 4 and 5AM and I took that opportunity to change him and take care of business.<br /><br />I also don't drink that much afterwards. I keep a water bottle by the bed and drink if I wake up, and then make sure I drink a full glass or two in the morning.