Mental Toughness

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] GutBustin'

Training

Post by [old] GutBustin' » August 26th, 2005, 7:14 pm

I find the erg to be mentally very challenging. That is, on the stairclimber I can crank it up to a high level and do my best to keep up (same idea with the treadmill) but every stroke on the erg is up to me. At any moment, you can just put the lever down. But mental thoughts do help. An example, is I find (suggested to me) that thinking about squeezing barrels really helps to focus on my chest muscle when I'm doing a bench press.<br /><br />With this in mind, any good mental thought habits? Because so far mine on the erg after ten minutes or so mainly consist of "Get off the erg, this is too hard, lie down." Followed immediately by "Come on you fat lard, pull harder!" And that's the nice stuff! <br /><br />I don't have any of these kinds of thought pattterns on the stairclimber or treadmill. Although I know the erg is a tougher physical exercise, I'd like to make it easier mentally than it currently is.<br /><br />So, any suggestions?

[old] TLCoons

Training

Post by [old] TLCoons » August 26th, 2005, 7:45 pm

What a great question, GB. I agree that the will to stop pulling can possess my mind if I'm having a hard time of it on any particular day. To avoid the temptation, I keep my mind occupied on other (more productive) things.<br /><br />1. I always listen to talk radio on a walkman so that the rest of the world is drowned out and my mind is actively engaged in learning something new and/or arguing through my side of the issue at hand on the radio.<br /><br />2. I refrain from looking at the monitor which can provide more mental intimidation than you can throw an oar at.<br /><br />3. I let my body feel its way into a smooth and efficient stroke cadence... regardless of spm, pace, or overall metres.<br /><br />None of these steps constitutes quantitative improvement but I can personally attest to the qualitative difference that they make. I can easily push through a 20 or 30 minute session using these techniques on even the worst of days.<br /><br />Don't let yourself get to the point that you dread the very activity that provides such long-term joy; just find a new way to approach looking forward to it. <br /><br />Best to you!

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 26th, 2005, 8:21 pm

Thank you for the helpful comments.<br /><br />Someone posted a brief chat with Gerry Lindgren, who was a world class runner when just out of high school in the '60's.<br /><br />"I didn't expect to get anything more then an autograph...but I had to ask him about the "bad berries bad berries" thing that Parker referred to in Once a Runner. I wanted to know if on that 20 miler on a hot summer day in Spokane when he repeated "bad berries" 3000 times or more really happened; sure enough...it did. His coach had them repeat such "mantras" as focus points or mental distractions. They would also repeat "bad news bads news bad news"...and other rhythmic word combos. For me...it was awesome to finally have that question answered.

[old] peeb

Training

Post by [old] peeb » August 27th, 2005, 6:23 am

This may be purely personal but...<br /><br />For some reason I find it easier to look at meters rowed on the display, and to be counting <br />down by whatever distance-per-stroke that I am aiming for, than to look at spm or 500m pace. <br />It could be something to do with the fact that that part of the display is continually altering <br />(i.e. not just altering per stroke), or to do with the fact that I am always having to do a small <br />mental calculation to work out what distance I should be at by the end of the next stroke<br />and that gives a simple but unavoidable focus,<br /><br />Paul.<br /><br /><br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-GutBustin'+Aug 26 2005, 06:14 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(GutBustin' @ Aug 26 2005, 06:14 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->...<br />With this in mind, any good mental thought habits? Because so far mine on the erg after ten minutes or so mainly consist of "Get off the erg, this is too hard, lie down." Followed immediately by "Come on you fat lard, pull harder!" And that's the nice stuff! <br />... <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » August 27th, 2005, 1:20 pm

If you're working out at a gym, it's good to have someone to train with. If the C2's are next to each other, you can glance over and see how fast the other rower is going by looking at the monitor. Also, it's hard to slack off if you know someone can see your split time. <br /><br />I think it is easier to keep at it if you are working on a plan such as the interactive 2K plan at the UK forum, Wolverine Plan, etc. I enjoy the DVD's by Xeno Muller. There is a lot of variety. They are never boring, and his enthusiasm is contagious. <br /><br />If I am just paddling along, I am always working on something; holding the back straight, getting the full compression at the catch, keeping the forward lean for the first part of the drive, etc. Being a guy, I can only concentrate on one thing at a time it seems. There is always something that needs work.<br /><br />Byron

[old] csabour

Training

Post by [old] csabour » August 27th, 2005, 3:12 pm

like Byron, my mental stimulus during long duration pieces is like a self diagnostic check system; hands away first body angle esblished, NOW slowly control the slide to the optimum compression and EXPLODE.repeat.<br /><br />it keeps my mind off the pain/boredom and over time greatly increases my technique on the erg and on the water. ratio is extremley underrated in peoples minds, its extremly important for the optimum boat run. it also impresses the coaches too when one ergs to technically.

[old] Zot

Training

Post by [old] Zot » August 29th, 2005, 4:22 pm

Hello,<br /><br />Here's another way to look at it. You can quit after just one more stroke. And anybody can do just one more stroke, right? Sometimes I look at the meter countdown (I average about 10 MPS) and think "2000 meters to go, that's only 200 strokes and count each stroke. I've tried to watch TV or listen to music, I find that I fall into a relaxed stroke and MPS when I do that and actually go too slow. <br /><br />I've had tough days when I've been feeling like a slug thinking I can NEVER get through this. BUT - I can always do just one more stroke. :-)<br /><br />Zot<br />

[old] GutBustin'

Training

Post by [old] GutBustin' » August 29th, 2005, 6:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Zot+Aug 29 2005, 04:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zot @ Aug 29 2005, 04:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello,<br /><br />Here's another way to look at it.  You can quit after just one more stroke. And anybody can do just one more stroke, right? Sometimes I look at the meter countdown (I average about 10 MPS) and think "2000 meters to go, that's only 200 strokes and count each stroke. I've tried to watch TV or listen to music, I find that I fall into a relaxed stroke and MPS when I do that and actually go too slow.  <br /><br />I've had tough days when I've been feeling like a slug thinking I can NEVER get through this. BUT - I can always do just one more stroke. :-)<br /><br />Zot <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I like your kind of thinking.<br /><br />One of the things I'm finding is to insist on doing the piece even if it is falling below pace standards. That is, if I say to myself, I'm doing 30 minutes trying to get as many metres in that time split, then I'm not going to cheat that into a decent 5k. I think over time I might be able to be more relaxed about it, but it's pretty critical for my mental discipline. If I'm going for a 2k personal best and I blow up halfway through, then I'm finishing that 2k no matter what, even if it rolls in at 8:30. Coming from someone who has never done a 10k, those longer distances are going to need that mental discipline from the shorter erg workouts, IMHO.

[old] csabour

Training

Post by [old] csabour » August 29th, 2005, 6:54 pm

i found that lots of my anxiety of tests comes from the fear of not beating my old time. there is no worse feeling than training so hard for a pb and going SLOWER than 2 weeks before. because of this my tests became less and less frequent. i often prefer a buddy to spot me while i test to push me, enocourage me, and override my concience of reason.<br /><br />i found that looking at that display is just horribly hypnotic after 30 minutes or so, I just turn the thing flipside and just go by feel often. its like a kind of zen and the time flies by. try that one.<br />

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » August 29th, 2005, 7:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If I'm going for a 2k personal best </td></tr></table> <br /><br />Yikes!!! I wouldn't try one more than once in a year, if that. And I would first complete the interactive 2K program at the UK forum before trying another one. I think there is a way to train and make a lot of progress and work hard such as following the interactive 2K program, but I don't think I want to do too many torture sessions like trying a 2K personal best.<br /><br />Byron

[old] csabour

Training

Post by [old] csabour » August 29th, 2005, 7:44 pm

in the winter season our club coach set up a schedual. it is unbelievably challenging, but aside from the day to day stuff the real killer is the testing. every month we would have a 2k and a 6k erg tests all on the same day EVERYONE FROM THE CLUB. national team members to junior novices, everyone did the tests and the head coach got each time and monitored your improvements. he put them on the internet would send them to national teams and universitys.<br /><br />its great training, and helps us get noticed. but my god those tests are so painfull and the anxiety it just horrible. counting the days to the big test in which you HAVE to get better than last month.

[old] gorow9

Training

Post by [old] gorow9 » August 31st, 2005, 9:54 pm

I went to the Navy rowing camp this summer and we had a seminar on "mental toughness" basically this is what Mike Houghes said.<br /><br />You'r conssience only believes what you tell it so think "I can do this" or some other montra. I often say "I got this" or something like that. Also by setting goals for yourself and writing them on index cards as if they're accomplished and reading them frequently it will help you to accomplish these goals. For example I have one that says "I have just gotten a great scholarship to college and am proud that all these years of work paid off" Use feelings and actually picture this happening clothes your eyes and see yourself sweaty and gross as you have done a pb 2k try to feel how tired you are and how your hands can barly grip the handle from sweat... (what a pleasent thougth) and picture that feeling with how proud you are for doing this. <br /><br />THat seems kind of cheesy but it does actually work because your contssience only believes what you tell it so if you keep saying negative things... <br /><br /><br />I also often find myself repeating a phrase that goes with my rowing stroke in my head. It's different depending on what I'm thinking about but I find that 2 sylabols on the drive and 3 on the recovery usually works. I talk faster I row faster I talk slower I row slower. Anyways I still find erging can get boring with that... but good luck to you and I hope some of this may help.<br /><br />~Sara~

[old] danimal

Training

Post by [old] danimal » August 31st, 2005, 11:20 pm

To paraphrase a scene from the movie "Bull Durham", the key is to not think, "Meat". I find using some sort of interval type pieces tend to help. It's amazing to me how focused I get about, not only the work piece but, the rest piece. Alternate K's usually do the trick.

[old] Pete Marston

Training

Post by [old] Pete Marston » September 1st, 2005, 4:28 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Byron Drachman+Aug 29 2005, 11:32 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Byron Drachman @ Aug 29 2005, 11:32 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If I'm going for a 2k personal best </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yikes!!! I wouldn't try one more than once in a year, if that. And I would first complete the interactive 2K program at the UK forum before trying another one. I think there is a way to train and make a lot of progress and work hard such as following the interactive 2K program, but I don't think I want to do too many torture sessions like trying a 2K personal best.<br /><br />Byron <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I think this is exactly the reason why so many people are afraid of the 2k, and under-perform when they come to doing one. If you only do a 2k once a year, or less, you just put too much pressure on that one day to perform well. A 2k is no harder than a hard interval session. The only reason I don't do regular 2k's is because it's not much of a training session on it's own.<br /><br />I truely don't believe you can get good at doing 2k's till you've done probably 20 or more of them. I also don't believe you can row a 2k to your full potential without having done one not that long before.<br /><br />Now I've been using the erg for about 4 years now, and have done something like 30 2k's just in erg races, never mind the ones in the gym! So I've perhaps averaged one every 6 weeks or so (although in racing season they are much closer than this).<br /><br />Pete

[old] PeterWilkinson

Training

Post by [old] PeterWilkinson » September 1st, 2005, 5:56 am

Pete,<br /><br />I am doing my second BIRC this year, and I am aiming to break 7 minutes for the first time, from a current 2K PB of 7:04.7. To achieve this, I recently started using the PetePlan which seems to suit my training needs very well. <br /><br />I am interested in your suggestion that the way to get better at 2K, (or any distance), is to do the distance until you are familiar with it. I tend to agree but I have seen a negative side, which is that if you fail to meet expected targets two or three times, it can be more of a demotivator than a motivator.<br /><br />My current 2K PB was set in June this year, but through July and early August I did three or four PB attempts and died each time. Couldn't get within 10 seconds of my PB. I concluded that the problem was more mental than physical, and decided not to row another 2K until the BIRC. <br /><br />I know that I can hold 8 X 500m under 1:45 pace with 2:30r, and I will get through three more rotations of the PetePlan before the BIRC, with two weeks to spare for refining my race strategy. Presumably you would suggest rowing a fast 2K once or twice (or more?) between now and the BIRC.<br /><br />