50Plus - New Team

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
Rodb
Paddler

Re: 50Plus - New Team

Post by Rodb » January 20th, 2021, 4:10 pm

Paul teare wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 5:01 am
Hey.
Im doing the burn and its progressing nicely. 5400cals to date. 5k. 7.5k 10k 7.5k. 5k pyramid. Repeat. Overtraining is usuallyflagged by lethargy and fatigue for me. Sleep more. Eat better. Hydrate. I dont get over obsessive with performance and imnot uber competitive. Which can be pathway to injury. I find pilates helps. Bendybend.

Oh and im not18 any more. Memo to ego. :)

Paul
lol ... I need to keep that memo about not being 18 anymore foremost in mind :)

I signed up for 'The Haul' and have already completed it. I've been told that I'm rather competitive, and I think this is causing some issues with over-training. When I check the team standings, I get the urge to try and pass the athlete ahead of me regardless of how I'm feeling or where I am in my training. I thought these challenges would be good for motivation, but maybe they are too good for my competitive mindset :/

I've been backing off lately, trying to incorporate more variety in my workouts (such as balance work and mobility/stretching). I think I'll also try and resist the urge to check the team standings.

Rod :)
Rod
58 HWT Male
Wisconsin USA
Team - Luna-Tics

Goal: Keep my general fitness at a level such that I can continue to participate in activities I enjoy (hiking, biking, skiing, general tomfoolery)

Pudge
Paddler

Post by Pudge » January 22nd, 2021, 11:13 pm

Rodb wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 10:18 pm

How do you all tell if you're on the verge of overtraining? By the time I recognize the problem, it's usually already too late
Hi Rod!

"Symptoms of acute overtraining include stagnant performance, irritability, mood swings and depression, elevated resting heart rate, sleeplessness, suppressed appetite, increased susceptibility to illness, dampened enthusiasm for training and competing in the sport, lasting fatigue, and increased likelihood of injury."

My advice would be to get a massage every week when you're training or competing above what you'd normally do.

You can read more here:

https://rowingstronger.com/2015/11/16/a ... f%20injury.

Happy rowing!

David

Ante
Paddler

Post by Ante » January 25th, 2021, 11:00 am

Hello 50+ rowers,

I’d like to join the team too if I may.
Started afresh after a sort-of 2 year dip and have trouble motivating the 60-year old self. 😕
Erg is in our attic underneath a window, so no distractions. Just rowing! 😅 I still like it after 15 years, but getting myself up there can be hard. You all seem very encouraging and I like that a lot.

Regards,
Ante
🚣‍♂️🇳🇱
Dutch F 62, 1.67 m, HWT, formerly addicted, starting again 🌀🚣‍♂️😅

Pudge
Paddler

Post by Pudge » January 25th, 2021, 7:26 pm

Hey Ante!

Welcome. Things have been a bit quiet in this thread during the January Revolutions virtual team challenge. My guess is that everyone is too busy rowing to come on and have a chat :-) (not so for me obviously :-/ )

Check out the January Revolutions Team Meters page and jump on in!

Happy rowing!

Pudge
Paddler

Post by Pudge » January 25th, 2021, 7:31 pm

Sorry Ante,

I forgot to put the link into the 50+ Team Meters page. Please see below.

https://log.concept2.com/team/13772/vtc/2021

Ante
Paddler

Post by Ante » January 26th, 2021, 11:59 am

Thanks Pudge,

Looking forward to it!

Ante
🚣

Paul teare
Paddler

Post by Paul teare » January 27th, 2021, 6:55 am

10k calories in jan. Tick. Happy days.
So little easy now till feb then do military challenge.
More pilates and yoga too.
Hows everyone else?

Rodb
Paddler

Post by Rodb » February 1st, 2021, 4:48 pm

Good job everyone! :)
I finished 'the haul' challenge for the January Revolution, and added a fair amount of meters to the team total for the Virtual Team Challenge. Definitely looking forward to a short break before the Valentine Challenge, so I can incorporate some alternative cardio... have been adding strength work (mostly trx and dumbbell) 3 times a week, and balance/mobility daily, but feel like rowing alone is not going to be the most effective training for my summer sports of hiking, road biking, and mountain biking.

I would be interested in hearing how others are incorporating rowing into their overall fitness plan.
Rod
58 HWT Male
Wisconsin USA
Team - Luna-Tics

Goal: Keep my general fitness at a level such that I can continue to participate in activities I enjoy (hiking, biking, skiing, general tomfoolery)

Ante
Paddler

Post by Ante » February 9th, 2021, 6:25 am

Hi everyone,

New member from Holland here. 😄 With a question.
I’m curious about how other rowers keep up their concentration. When I’m up in the attic on the rower, I usually try to think of one thing to keep my mind on, like counting the amount of strokes/100m or the way the chain behaves. Obviously I want a different focus point every training and I could use some good new ones!
Do others do this as well?

Thanks,
Ante 🚣‍♂️

Ante
Paddler

Post by Ante » February 9th, 2021, 6:39 am

Rodb wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 4:48 pm
Good job everyone :)

I would be interested in hearing how others are incorporating rowing into their overall fitness plan.
Hi Rod,

I can’t say I have a proper fitness plan, like you do.
Just that I mostly cycle to work for 30’ (like a good Dutchwoman should). And on the other days I tell myself to go row. Certainly 3/week, so I’ll have some workout 5 days out of 7.
Nothing impressive, but definitely 100% more action than before my 40fh. (Am 60 now.) And I do want to see my first grandchild grow up, who’s now 5 weeks old. That’s a great incentive! 👶🏼

MJ1
Paddler

Post by MJ1 » February 17th, 2021, 8:39 pm

Hi All!

I'm over fifty (ergh!) and would like to join. After some nagging injuries, I'm making steady progress. I'm almost at 4000m a day (5-6 days/wk). Then I'd like to work in some different training routines.

I think a team could help give me a little extra motivation.

Thanks.

Mike

Paul teare
Paddler

Post by Paul teare » February 18th, 2021, 2:15 pm

Welcomee 😁

Chairmanm
Paddler

Post by Chairmanm » February 18th, 2021, 5:00 pm

Joining the team from San Diego! Look forward to having some interaction with fellow 50+ rowers. :D

BTW, is there an easier way to use this board? Seems like I have to navigate to the thread, then go to the last post. Or will it automatically nifty me when there are new posts to the thread?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » February 18th, 2021, 5:25 pm

Chairmanm wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 5:00 pm

Or will it automatically notify me when there are new posts to the thread?
viewtopic.php?uid=77&f=29&t=189645&watc ... &start=165

swopschall
Paddler

Post by swopschall » February 20th, 2021, 9:12 pm

After a long absence from rowing, I am back to it. Starting slow and steady.

Thanks for allowing me to join the team.

Looking forward to upcoming team challenges.

Steve