Inhale on the drive or the recovery?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
TessBrooklyn
Paddler

Inhale on the drive or the recovery?

Post by TessBrooklyn » December 3rd, 2020, 9:23 am

From my browsing on the forum I get the sense that there's a difference of opinion on this subject but I didn't find more. Can someone explain the merits of each or point me to an explanation? I'd like to try to establish a pattern while I'm learning to perfect my stroke. And if it matters to the subject, I'm a slow rower, but I've ruled out breathing twice. I'm 55, F, and rowing to improve my general fitness and endurance -- I'm looking forward to lots of improvement but I'll probably never become especially fast.

Theresa

TessBrooklyn
Paddler

Re: Inhale on the drive or the recovery?

Post by TessBrooklyn » December 3rd, 2020, 9:28 am

I meant to say I've ruled out two breaths per stroke not I've ruled out breathing twice. That would be problematic!

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » December 3rd, 2020, 9:29 am

TessBrooklyn wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 9:23 am
From my browsing on the forum I get the sense that there's a difference of opinion on this subject but I didn't find more. Can someone explain the merits of each or point me to an explanation? I'd like to try to establish a pattern while I'm learning to perfect my stroke. And if it matters to the subject, I'm a slow rower, but I've ruled out breathing twice. I'm 55, F, and rowing to improve my general fitness and endurance -- I'm looking forward to lots of improvement but I'll probably never become especially fast.

Theresa
During the recovery, at this point our upperbody is relax. During the drive its best to have a rigide truck to be as firm as possible.
Once you go faster, you need to breathe twice per stroke, again during the recovery, if you never have to breathe twice, you leave energy in the tank. Which in itself is fine. There is zero need to race yourself. But if you do thats also fine.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » December 3rd, 2020, 10:39 am

TessBrooklyn wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 9:23 am
From my browsing on the forum I get the sense that there's a difference of opinion on this subject but I didn't find more.
One simple rule. In then out from the day you're born (and get a slap on your tail-end, if needed) until the day you die.

AndyWicks
500m Poster

Post by AndyWicks » December 3rd, 2020, 11:48 am

With weight training you are taught to in hale prior to any movement, hold at start and only exhale towards the end of the work phase. This is to keep you body/spine braced to use as much force as possible. The same technique can be used for rowing. The caveat is that studies have proved there isn’t a huge amount of benefit to this technique over the breathing in during the work phase, as long as you keep your body braced.

IMO if I am doing an easy slower rate (<22) row I tend to breathe in, hold for the initial drive and exhale as the handle crosses my knees to the end of the drive, breathe in slowly on way back. If I am doing a faster rate (>25) row, I breath twice, short short bursts and use the knees and ends as a switching point. This kind of goes against my earlier point, but it works for me and I find I can brace while breathing in, so I breathe in on initial drive once handle passes my knees I breathe out short sharp, on the return, in till handle goes back over knees then out, ready to breathe back in again on the drive.

Just need to try and see what works for you. As long as it doesn’t mess with your technique and you’ve got a reasonable core you should be fine
37yo
6’3”
89kg
5k PB - 16:56

Looking for motivation, anyone seen it?

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » December 3rd, 2020, 12:19 pm

If I'm rowing low rates, I will breathe out on the drive, as this naturally forces a slight tensing of core muscles, and when you hold your breath and exert pressure there's a natural reflex in your mind that can be a slight issue for some, with regards to carbon dioxide tolerance, especially as you start to get tired. Breathing is essentially more of a reflex to clear carbon dioxide, rather than take in oxygen. Try rowing 4 or 5 strokes holding your breath at mid or high rates, and just see how your HR behaves.

For higher rates, probably r28+, I'm breathing twice. Tbh, I've never consciously thought about it, as it just naturally happens.

As Andy says above, there is a school of thought for both breathing sequences, so it's what naturally feels right for you.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Tony Cook
6k Poster

Post by Tony Cook » December 3rd, 2020, 3:26 pm

When learned to row OTW (fixed seat traditional heavy boats) I was taught in on the recovery to brace on the catch and exhale through the drive. Some would do two quicker breaths.
Recently read an article (can’t source it now) that said to exhale on the recovery with maybe a little intake of breath to brace on the catch then inhale through the drive. The rationale being to have your lungs full of air is a bad thing when you are leaning forwards into the catch - it restricts you. If you have a good enough core then you can brace without having to have breathed in.
As said above, that’s contrary to weight lifting instructions.
Ive tried both ways and am happy with either at UT2 pace 20 SPM. When doing a sub 1:30 500m I haven’t got a clue what I do.
Born 1963 6' 5" 100Kg
PBs from 2020 - 100m 15.7s - 1min 355m - 500m 1:28.4 - 1k 3:10.6 - 2k 6:31.6 - 5k 17:34.9 - 6k 20:57.5 - 30min @ 20SPM 8,336m - 10k 36:28.0 - 1 hour 16,094m - HM 1:18:51.7
2021 - 5k 17:26 - FM 2:53:37.0

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » December 3rd, 2020, 5:21 pm

Breathe in on the recovery here during training pace rows.

You can go into a phase of two breaths on the recovery at lower ratings. At 18 to 20spm its no problem getting a second breath when things start to get tough.

Racing ends up going into a semi uncontrolled zone of just gasping for air and I don't recall the pattern. :lol:

Bottom line is that its pretty hard to change whatever comes naturally to you so just stick with that.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

T_M
2k Poster

Post by T_M » December 4th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 12:19 pm

For higher rates, probably r28+, I'm breathing twice. Tbh, I've never consciously thought about it, as it just naturally happens.

As Andy says above, there is a school of thought for both breathing sequences, so it's what naturally feels right for you.
I never gave my breathing a second thought either...unless of course I'm at max effort when I can't seem to get enough O2. However, during a medium effort 30 minutes last night, I noticed I was inhaling during the drive, exhaling at the end of the drive and getting another inhale-exhale during my recovery.
M, 6'3", 230 DOB Oct 1961
PBs: 100m 14.9 (2018); 1 minute 365m (2017); 2K 7:15 (2014); HM 1:28:39.8 (2016)

mict450
6k Poster

Post by mict450 » December 5th, 2020, 1:32 am

I have no idea when or how I breathe. My body just takes of it. I am aware, however, of using a pseudo Valsalva maneuver (exhaling gently against a closed glottis) to help brace my core during the drive to protect my lower back & enhance connection from the feet to hips, lower back, lats & arms to handle.
Eric, YOB:1954
Old, slow & getting more so
Shasta County, CA, small town USA

GreenStratMan
2k Poster

Post by GreenStratMan » December 5th, 2020, 10:51 am

I tend to breathe only once. For each stroke. Be impressive if I could do 10k on one breath ;o)

I inhale on the recovery and exhale on the drive. I tend to pace the inhale to be slow and relaxed and time it to last for the whole duration of the recovery phase. Seems to work for me.

But, I don't do the fast stuff. All of my work is from the Pete's beginner plan. I never go above 24 SPM. My max watts have always been below 206. Not sure if that's per stroke, I'm fairly ignorant of a lot of stuff.
Kevin, born ‘69. 6’5” 100kg

My Logbook

Ante
Paddler

Post by Ante » January 17th, 2021, 10:26 am

Hi Tess,
interesting topic you picked. It’s fun to read the replies: they’re all so different!

I always breathe twice: once quick and sort off shallow during the drive and once deeper during the recovery. I definately can’t make it on one breath... 😄
And this pattern also helps me keeping my rhythm of a drive in half the time as my recovery.
Being quite short and heavy, I never breathe in when nearing the wheel. That would shorten my drive considerably and mess with my numbers, haha. 😅
Dutch F 62, 1.67 m, HWT, formerly addicted, starting again 🌀🚣‍♂️😅

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » January 19th, 2021, 2:14 pm

1 after finish on recovery following fairly strong exhalation. I do 2 on unrecovered interval effort somewhere in the vicinity of catch or finish. I also gasp for air. Can’t recall anything voluntary or intentional about that.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » January 19th, 2021, 2:27 pm

@Kevin: your max watts number can’t possibly be 206! Your age, build, and the 1:49 paced 4x800m in your logbook puts paid to that idea. When you’re my age you can flatter the ladies that they’re a lot stronger than you. B) Best not rush it. :cry:
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

meerkat
Paddler

Post by meerkat » February 20th, 2021, 7:29 am

I was always taught to exhale when the body is straining or being put under short physical stress- lifting,throwing pulling etc- to reduce the risk of heart attack. So exhaling on the drive is a good habit IMO, I can't remember the last time I maxed out or did high intensity training but I think for that ,on the drive it's an exhale followed by a shorter in and out towards the end of the drive....got me thinking now....might have to try it .