Do You Want To Know How To Train?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » June 30th, 2005, 1:16 am

Go to Amazon.com and buy the book called: ROWING FASTER by Volker Nolte.<br /><br />Stop all the guess work and read the book.<br /><br />"No pain, no gain" is NOT the answer to great fitness.<br /><br />All my best and I hope you all are having a great summer.<br /><br />XENO

[old] Polaco

Training

Post by [old] Polaco » June 30th, 2005, 8:32 am

Hi Xeno:<br /><br />I don't know why but I've done it. <br /><br />I expect to receive it from Amazon before my holidays to have time to read it carefully. If I don't like it I will send the invoice to the Iron Oarsman or maybe you can compensate me with one of your nice ergolution Tshirts ..<br /><br />Let's see if next season (beginning in September here in Spain) I can go sub 6:30 @ 2k<br />

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » June 30th, 2005, 11:30 am

According to reviews, this book is NOT primarily about training.<br /><br />"This book is primarily for those who row on water, rather than those who use an erg indoors, as I do."<br /><br />"I only wish the author had given more focus to erg rowing"<br /><br />"McArthur explains the "why" and the "how" behind rigging and physiology"<br /><br />"This is not a book which will help beginners directly, but it will inspire and inform the beginner"<br /><br />"one of the greatest contribuition of this book is that it covers so many aspects that the athlete must care about outside of water and that are as important as rowing techniques. It covers methodolgies to become disciplined, to analyze progress, enhancement and assiduity."<br /><br />"The book obviously covers very well the rowing techniques and competition strategies."<br /><br />Thus looks like a lot of things but not much at all about training.<br /><br />

[old] RacerX

Training

Post by [old] RacerX » June 30th, 2005, 4:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jun 30 2005, 10:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jun 30 2005, 10:30 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->According to reviews, this book is NOT primarily about training.<br /><br />"This book is primarily for those who row on water, rather than those who use an erg indoors, as I do."<br /><br />"I only wish the author had given more focus to erg rowing"<br /><br />"McArthur explains the "why" and the "how" behind rigging and physiology"<br /><br />"This is not a book which will help beginners directly, but it will inspire and inform the beginner"<br /><br />"one of the greatest contribuition of this book is that it covers so many aspects that the athlete must care about outside of water and that are as important as rowing techniques. It covers methodolgies to become disciplined, to analyze progress, enhancement and assiduity."<br /><br />"The book obviously covers very well the rowing techniques and competition strategies."<br /><br />Thus looks like a lot of things but not much at all about training. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well, the title is "Rowing Faster" not "Training Faster" or "Erging Faster". I've been working on rowing faster (on the water) and am looking forward to getting my copy.<br /><br />BTW, Xeno your contributions are always great. You recently posted something where you mentioned not being afraid to pull hard through the water. I probably have the words wrong, but the thought worked well on my last row. I am trying to pull harder and then not rush the slide on the recovery. Thank you!<br /><br />Aaron<br /><br />

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » June 30th, 2005, 4:57 pm

Wishful thinking doesn't make the book something that it isn't.<br /><br />Whatever "erging" is, the book doesn't show people how to train to row faster.

[old] whp4

Training

Post by [old] whp4 » June 30th, 2005, 5:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jun 30 2005, 08:57 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jun 30 2005, 08:57 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Wishful thinking doesn't make the book something that it isn't.<br /><br />Whatever "erging" is, the book doesn't show people how to train to row faster. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Which one to believe? <br /><br />a) gold medal Olympian who has read the book and says it is good<br /><br /> guy who is distinguished mostly by his dubious pronouncements who hasn't read the book and is quoting reviews off Amazon, written by others who may not have read the book either<br /><br />Hmm. Can someone help me decide?<br /><br />Interesting also that you would have us believe a book about rowing offers information of no relevance to an activity intended to emulate the mechanics of rowing, but that your observations about running offer profound insights into erging. <br /><br />Bill

[old] Polaco

Training

Post by [old] Polaco » June 30th, 2005, 6:00 pm

Bill:<br /><br />You read my mind, I had the same doubt..... Xeno or Rupp, Rupp or Xeno......? <br /><br />Have I said before that I've already ordered the book?<br /><br />But I say it again Xeno, if I don't go sub 6:30 I will ask for a ergolution tshirt as compensation!!! <br /><br />

[old] Polaco

Training

Post by [old] Polaco » June 30th, 2005, 6:07 pm

Oooooops I forgot an opinion of another unknown person:<br /><br />"A compilation of the best information from around the world, Rowing Faster will help you understand and utilize the techniques, training methods, and racing strategies that will help you excel in competition." <br /><br />Steven Redgrave Five-time Olympic gold medalist <br /><br />Redgrave, Redgrave I've heard this name before...... or maybe it was Sir Steve Redgrave. Anyway, if John Rupp says it is a worthless book he must be right <br />

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » June 30th, 2005, 6:09 pm

Based on this thread, the book would be good for those with very poor reading and comprehension skills.<br /><br />The reviews are quotations from those who have read the book.<br /><br />The thread title says to buy the book to know how to train, however the book is not about training.<br /><br />I don't erg, have never erged, and don't know what erging is. Additionally I have not offerred any particular observations or insights about erging. If you have attained some, then you are welcome to consider yourself even more blessed that they have been passed on to you.

[old] TedCG

Training

Post by [old] TedCG » June 30th, 2005, 7:26 pm

John Rupp,Jun 30 2005, 05:09 PM wrote:<br /><br />I don't erg, have never erged, and don't know what erging is.
<br /><br />An "erg" is a product sold by C2, the kind folks who host this forum.<br />"Erging" is the act of operating an erg, as well as a primary topic of this forum.<br />Just thought you'd like to know.

[old] RacerX

Training

Post by [old] RacerX » June 30th, 2005, 8:12 pm

TedCG,Jun 30 2005, 06:26 PM wrote:<br />
John Rupp,Jun 30 2005, 05:09 PM wrote:<br /><br />I don't erg, have never erged, and don't know what erging is.
<br /><br />An "erg" is a product sold by C2, the kind folks who host this forum.<br />"Erging" is the act of operating an erg, as well as a primary topic of this forum.<br />Just thought you'd like to know. <br />
<br /><br />Thanks for that. After John's comment above I wasn't sure what the heck I was doing on this thing without oars that doesn't go anywhere but sure seems to hurt a lot.<br /><br />John - buy the book, write a review. Then, while some (or all) might still disagree with your opinion of the book, you will at least have an informed opinion. <br /><br />Aaron

[old] Alissa

Training

Post by [old] Alissa » June 30th, 2005, 8:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't erg, have never erged, and don't know what erging is. Additionally I have not offerred any particular observations or insights about erging. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Interesting. Apparently you used to both know <i><b>and </b></i>offer your observations and insights...see your post <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... ost&p=5149' target='_blank'> <b><i>here</i></b></a> last September, where you use the verb form "to erg". And again <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... ost&p=5501' target='_blank'><b><i>here</i></b></a>, where you say "erging on slides is certainly legitimate". <br /><br />We are all having fun in this forum--aren't we?<br /><br />Kind regards,<br /><br />Alissa<br />

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » June 30th, 2005, 8:49 pm

Alissa,<br /><br />Perhaps you missed the irony in my posting, as follows:<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-NavigationHazard+Sep 23 2004, 04:26 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NavigationHazard @ Sep 23 2004, 04:26 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->With all due respect, I don't see how the absence or presence of slides makes one form of erging any more or less "legitimate" than any other. </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Sep 24 2004, 09:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Sep 24 2004, 09:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It is certainly legitimate to erg on slides, just as it is legitimate to row on an erg. </td></tr></table><br />Thus I was making a comparision between Nav's form of "erging" on slides, with the legitimacy of those of us who "row" on ergs.<br /><br />That doesn't mean that I know what "erging" is, as I have not ever done it, nor seen it done, not by anyone.<br /><br />However it must exist, because there are a lot of folks who keep referring to it.<br /><br />This is quite interesting. Maybe one day I will find out what it is.

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » June 30th, 2005, 8:56 pm

The second posting was as follows:<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-phowd+Sep 29 2004, 07:57 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(phowd @ Sep 29 2004, 07:57 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Using slides not a legitimate method of erging? </td></tr></table><br /><!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Sep 29 2004, 12:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Sep 29 2004, 12:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You are mixing up two different things.<br /><br />Erging on slides is certainly legitimate.  <br /><br />However, having slide times and erg times in one ranking is not equitable.<br /><br />Likewise there is not just one race or even just one venue in the Olympics for all boats. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Thus as you can see I was referring to Phowd's "method of erging", and giving it credit for being a legitimate form of exercise, even though I've not ever done it and don't know what it is.<br /><br />Also I was doing my best to be in agreement about the issue, while making the point that they don't belong in the same competitive venue - "erging" and "rowing" most certainly not being the same thing, the one being obscure and the other quite obvious.

[old] slo_boat

Training

Post by [old] slo_boat » June 30th, 2005, 9:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jun 30 2005, 05:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jun 30 2005, 05:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't erg, have never erged, and don't know what erging is.[right] <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Thanks for letting us know John. Your statement explains many things.