Arm Tendonitis

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] stkcoal@comcast.net

Training

Post by [old] stkcoal@comcast.net » May 31st, 2005, 9:54 pm

I developed tendonitis from elbow down to hands. I figured I would give it a rest after the Crash Bs and it would clear up. Every time I think it is good enough to try it comes back and it never heals.<br /><br />It is very frustrating because I have lost hard earned conditioning and I am gaining weight. I was so psyched after the Bs in Feb to get back training with Paul Smith and take another 20 seconds off my 2K time.<br /><br />I have discomfort on the top and bottom of arms, especially at the elbow joints of both arms. It was caused from rowing.<br /><br />Anyone have same problem? Any recommendations?<br /><br />Joe Drinon 61/LWT/7:41

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » June 1st, 2005, 8:37 am

<!--QuoteBegin-stkcoal@comcast.net+May 31 2005, 08:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(stkcoal@comcast.net @ May 31 2005, 08:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I developed tendonitis from elbow down to hands. I figured I would give it a rest after the Crash Bs and it would clear up. Every time I think it is good enough to try it comes back and it never heals.<br /><br />It is very frustrating because I have lost hard earned conditioning and I am gaining weight. I was so psyched after the Bs in Feb to get back training with Paul Smith and take another 20 seconds off my 2K time.<br /><br />I have discomfort on the top and bottom of arms, especially at the elbow joints of both arms. It was caused from rowing.<br /><br />Anyone have same problem? Any recommendations?<br /><br />Joe Drinon  61/LWT/7:41 <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Joe,<br />I'm sure you've already thought of this, but be sure not to use the arms too early. It's easy to do. You could make a conscious effort to keep the arms straight and relaxed until you are finishing the body swing. I found that making a handle that puts my hands more vertically helped greatly with the sore elbows. I found out later that Bert did the same thing. I realize it's not like rowing on water, but the different hand position works for me. Every once in a while I put the original handle back on. I can row either way, but my elbows like the different hand position. I hope you get some relief and can get back to erging.<br />Byron<br />

[old] slo_boat

Training

Post by [old] slo_boat » June 1st, 2005, 1:56 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-stkcoal@comcast.net+May 31 2005, 08:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(stkcoal@comcast.net @ May 31 2005, 08:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I developed tendonitis from elbow down to hands. I figured I would give it a rest after the Crash Bs and it would clear up. Every time I think it is good enough to try it comes back and it never heals.<br /><br />It is very frustrating because I have lost hard earned conditioning and I am gaining weight. I was so psyched after the Bs in Feb to get back training with Paul Smith and take another 20 seconds off my 2K time.<br /><br />I have discomfort on the top and bottom of arms, especially at the elbow joints of both arms. It was caused from rowing.<br /><br />Anyone have same problem? Any recommendations?<br /><br />Joe Drinon  61/LWT/7:41 <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />When tendonitis does not heal, it is usually because the stress placed on the tendon is insufficient to stimulate growth and too great to allow recovery. Here’s what I would consider if I had the same problem.<br /><br />Stop exercising the arms for a few days until the pain goes away.<br />You may want to try ice to reduce the inflammation.<br />Once the pain is gone, use weights or some other progressive resistance exercise program to strengthen the muscles and tendons that were inflamed. <br />Once the pain is gone, begin a gentle stretching program.<br />Consider some form of massage.<br />Once you increase the strength and flexibility of the muscles and tendons gradually reintroduce rowing. <br /><br />Hope this helps. With any luck someone with some PT experience will see this thread and give you some good feedback.<br />

[old] H_2O

Training

Post by [old] H_2O » June 1st, 2005, 7:23 pm

My philosophy is to ignore minor pains. More often than not they go away.<br /><br />I have all sorts of inexplicable problems: one day I can't hold on to the handle because the forearms are in horrible pain (despite all efforts at being relaxed)<br />-- the next day not the least trouble. <br /><br />For weeks I had elbow problems, then suddenly gone.<br /><br />If it is so bad it can't be ignored you will know it.

[old] Yoda1

Training

Post by [old] Yoda1 » June 1st, 2005, 8:38 pm

The following could be considered Yoda Magic. You decide. Take one peice of the newspaper, lay it on the floor, flat out, both sides showing, place your hand face down in the corner of the paper and squeeze making a fist. Now lift your arm and hand off of the floor and work the fingers, opening and closing until you've made a ball of the newspaper sheet. Throw it aside and do another. Repeat 3 times per day, every day and the aching in the hands, wrist, and forearms will disappear.<br />Believe it or not, this works. It only takes about a week to begin to notice the changes.<br /><br />If you have any questions about this ask Paul S or Diesel. I won't be available, I'm going for a beer.<br /><br />Yoda

Training

Post by [old] stkcoal@comcast.net » June 1st, 2005, 10:47 pm

Thanks for all your posts. I appreciate what H 20 had to say about putting up with minor pain. I guess "minor" is a function of your individual tolerance.<br /><br />I ignored the pain for weeks leading up to Crash Bs because I didn't need the distraction. Now that the competion is over I want to solve the problem. I want to be able to open a jar of peanut butter, wake up without throbing pain in both arms and be able to train effectively. There is no "playing through' the pain. I have rowed 2 million meters the last 2 mos training for Bs and most of that with the problem. I am anxious to get back.<br /><br />Again. I appreciate the suggestions, especially the one about the newspaper. <br /><br />If Paul S is around I would like him to comment on that suggestion of starting my hands too early in the drive. Paul observed my technique at the Bs and I am sure would offer an opinion.<br /><br />Thanks again for all your posts.<br /><br />Joe Drinon<br /><br />

[old] michaelb

Training

Post by [old] michaelb » June 1st, 2005, 11:03 pm

Are you using a model C or a model D handle? I found that with the D handle I move and shift my hand positions a lot less, and find the D generally more comfortable. So if you don't have a D I would try that. But if you have a D, you may want to try using a C handle since the feeling is different, and moving your hands around in and out on the bar may change the angles slightly and reduce the repetitiveness of the motion..

[old] Canoeist

Training

Post by [old] Canoeist » June 2nd, 2005, 7:56 am

My right elbow gives me trouble if I let my elbows fly out. The solution is to keep the arm closer to the body. <br /><br />Sprints, or 500m thrashes tend to be killers on my elbow. It is probably because my elbow starts to fly out as I concentrate on speed rather than form.<br /><br />Pulling with the arms too early also contributes to elbow soreness.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Paul Flack

[old] FrancoisA

Training

Post by [old] FrancoisA » June 2nd, 2005, 9:19 am

Hi Joe,<br />You could also do some cross-training for a while. I find swimming complements erging quite effectively and would certainly be gentle on your elbows. Biking would be good for the cardio and leg strength.<br />An exercise I would recommend is to do some sculling drills in the water; use a pull-boy to make it easier to float. That would give a gentle workout to every muscles of your hands and forearms. But don't do more than 100m the first session!<br /><br />Good luck!

[old] akit110

Training

Post by [old] akit110 » June 2nd, 2005, 10:35 am

<!--QuoteBegin-michaelb+Jun 1 2005, 11:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(michaelb @ Jun 1 2005, 11:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Are you using a model C or a model D handle?  I found that with the D handle I move and shift my hand positions a lot less, and find the D generally more comfortable.  So if you don't have a D I would try that.  But if you have a D, you may want to try using a C handle since the feeling is different, and moving your hands around in and out on the bar may change the angles slightly and reduce the repetitiveness of the motion.. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />My model C came with (obviously) a Model C handle and I used it with no real discomfort. A few months back, I swapped it out for a Model D handle. I liked the feel a bit better (lighter and angled). However, recently I started to feel some tendonitis in the elbows and based on what I had read on the UK forum, I decided to swap back the Model C handle. Since then, the tendonitis, while not completely disappeared, is much better. <br /><br />I notice I tend to keep my elbows a lot tighter to my body with the C handle so that might be the contributing factor. Alternately, one handle might not be better than the other - but as the post above alludes - just changing the handle every now and then, might obviate repetitive motion stress due to the slight change in arm position with the two handles.

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » June 2nd, 2005, 7:14 pm

The wife asked why I was crumpling pieces of newspapers into balls. I answered that Yoda told me to do that. Another strange look.<br /><br />Byron

[old] Yoda1

Training

Post by [old] Yoda1 » June 2nd, 2005, 8:37 pm

Byron,<br /><br />You should see the look I get when I levitate the dinner plates at meal time. <br /><br />Yoda

[old] gaffano

Training

Post by [old] gaffano » June 2nd, 2005, 8:46 pm

I have suffered from chronic elbow and patella (knee) tendonotis in the past. My experience is that playing through the pain never solved the problem, just kept the tendon from healing, and the pain persisting. After i stopped the excercise that was stressing the tendon, it healed, and i returned. however, this was usually 3-12 months later. I know...but tendons don't get much blood flow/oxygen, so they heal real slow.<br /><br />I would suggest cross training to keep up cardio fitness. My tennis elbow came from gripping a squash racket real tight....if you must erg...maybe have a real loose grip...also if pain is real bad see a sports therapist for some electro-stimulation....helped me out.

[old] Canoeist

Training

Post by [old] Canoeist » June 3rd, 2005, 8:10 am

"I notice I tend to keep my elbows a lot tighter to my body with the C handle so that might be the contributing factor."<br /><br />I didn't have problems with the Model C handle either. (Except in an occasional 500m thrash.) The slighht difference in the hand angle might have something to do with it. The model D handle works all right if I concentrate on keeping my elbows close to the body. Also, I sometimes put my hands out to the end of the handle, sometimes closer to the center. This slight variation in hand position changes the stress on the elbows.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Paul Flack

Training

Post by [old] stkcoal@comcast.net » June 3rd, 2005, 8:52 pm

Paul,<br /><br />I row with my hands at the end of the handle. Are you saying that this adds stress?<br /><br />Joe