Knees Hitting Arms When Using Erg

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] bigfatguineapig

Training

Post by [old] bigfatguineapig » June 15th, 2005, 6:19 pm

Hello,<br />I've been using a model c a little while and my knees always hit or rub against my arms at the catch, I'm guessing this is because I have long thighs even though I'm only 5'9. I can avoid this by buckling my knees in but I don't think erging with knees buckled instead of in a straight line is good for them. Has anyone had this problem and is there any way to avoid it? Thanks

[old] jamesg

Training

Post by [old] jamesg » June 16th, 2005, 3:15 am

Some small adjustments are possible, such as lowering the stretcher, keeping the back straight rather than hunched, moving knees in a bit, not going beyond vertical shins. I remember thinking in the past that a longer handle would help too; maybe the D is longer. Now I hang my outside fingers over the ends of the handle and avoid long pieces that lead to friction problems.<br /><br />Scullers keep their knees together, or some do - my paunch gets in the way.

[old] Citroen

Training

Post by [old] Citroen » June 16th, 2005, 7:23 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jamesg+Jun 16 2005, 08:15 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jamesg @ Jun 16 2005, 08:15 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->... not going beyond vertical shins. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />After a brief coaching session from Kevin Peebles on Sunday. He's got me to avoid going over vertical shins. That's been a massive improvement. I was rowing with my knees apart. I'm now rowing knees together and not going so far forward for the catch. <br /><br />I did an hour session yesterday strapless and rowed a new PB of 14417 (+65m).<br />I took 36 seconds off my 5K PB this morning.

[old] shu246

Training

Post by [old] shu246 » June 17th, 2005, 7:10 pm

yeah, its a bummer. mostly i just keep my knees togather now, altho it decreases the power of the stroke a bit. sometimes for a few strokes i move the grip in and pass the wrists between the knees, just for variety.<br /><br />have a model D handle on order; supposed to be a bit wider.<br /><br />6 ft 2 in, 34 in inseam, 37 in sleeves.<br /><br />