Dynamic vs Static

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
morleya
Paddler

Dynamic vs Static

Post by morleya » August 10th, 2020, 1:10 pm

First post: be gentle
I used to indoor row on a model B last millennium: rugby/weights/squash and PB (no logbook) was 6’30” for 2000m. Children intervened until my mother-in-law (God bless and RIP) bought me a new model D.
Fitness started and I managed to get down to 6’52” in the BIRC age 46.
Unfortunately, my daughter became unwell and lifting her out of the bath one day I developed a pars defect and a spondylolisthesis. My work involves standing bent forward ina lead coat for some hours so not great news.
I have always wondered re dynamic vs static and fancied the Oartec DX but expensive +++. I bit the bullet and bought a dynamic C2 from 2017 : £850 form eBay : 4027 metres on the clock!

I thought i would share my experience of the dynamic vs static

1 You need excellent technique: much less forgiving than static
2 You have to be supple: getting shins vertical in static is easy as your body mass pushes you into the compressed C curve spine catch: this does not happen on the dynamic. I think this important because some are tempted to dynamic because of back issues
3 Average stroke length decreases
4 Initial stroke power higher, average about the same
5 Higher cadence easier to achieve
6 Like all concept stuff it’s well built
7 So far no back issues: which hopefully will remain the case

Overall currently I am about 2 -3 seconds slower on dynamic per 500: as flexibility increases (I swear I hear cracking when I bend these days) I expect and hope this will improve.

12 years after 6’52” not sure I’ll get back there but worth trying

Finally different issue but anyone know if you can use RowPro 3 database with RowPro 5: used to love to race against myself and no reply from RowPro

Keep safe

BW
Adrian

mict450
6k Poster

Re: Dynamic vs Static

Post by mict450 » August 11th, 2020, 5:43 pm

morleya wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 1:10 pm

I thought i would share my experience of the dynamic vs static
I recently took delivery of a dynamic erg, also.
morleya wrote:

1 You need excellent technique: much less forgiving than static
Agreed. If sequencing is not impeccable, I can start bouncing off the front & back stops. There is a particular rhythm I need to maintain to decrease seat movement.
morleya wrote:

2 You have to be supple: getting shins vertical in static is easy as your body mass pushes you into the compressed C curve spine catch: this does not happen on the dynamic. I think this important because some are tempted to dynamic because of back issues
Haven't found this to be a problem. Perhaps if you lowered your foot stretchers, you could compress further.
morleya wrote:

7 So far no back issues: which hopefully will remain the case
In my case, I felt really tight & stiff in the lumbar back area after only 10 minutes. Using a mirror, I noted my lumbar spine was slouched & flexed at the catch & finish. Keeping my back in a neutral position has alleviated the problem. Never experienced that with the static, although after erging for 40 - 45 mins would leave me stiff & would take a while before I was able to stand erect.
morleya wrote:

Overall currently I am about 2 -3 seconds slower on dynamic per 500: as flexibility increases (I swear I hear cracking when I bend these days) I expect and hope this will improve.
You would need an hour glass to time me. I go by RPE, which for a similar level, the dynamic results in a higher HR.

Can't help you with the RowPro...the only software I use when erging is Looney Tunes & The Three Stooges. Also, other daft TV reruns. :mrgreen:
Eric, YOB:1954
Old, slow & getting more so
Shasta County, CA, small town USA

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » August 11th, 2020, 10:41 pm

In a related matter, how do C2 Slides (and an erg) compare to a Dynamic?

I would think that the total moving mass using, say, a Model D + Slides is greater than the moving mass on a Dynamic, but percentage wise the difference is not huge. That could result in some differences, but other than that, are slides basically the same thing as a Dynamic?

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » August 12th, 2020, 8:32 am

Moving mass with Dyno (and on water) is about 20kg, 40kg with C2 on slides. The impression is a little less extreme, with the greater mass. The main impression is the same, ease of recovery and consequent temptation to rate high.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week. Fading fast.

LA329
Paddler

Post by LA329 » August 12th, 2020, 4:00 pm

I appreciate the perspective shared on the difference in Splits on the Dynamic vs. the Static. I purchased the Dynamic to improve my slide work (among other things) hopefully leading to faster times on the water. That said, I hope to compete at least once a year in an Indoor Regatta, which of course are on Statics. What I want to avoid is a false sense of security as I train on my Dynamic at home, and then find that I can't produce the same result on the Static at the Regatta. I am aware of the differences in the two machines from a feel standpoint, and will form my race plan knowing that I will be "pulled up the slide" by the chain on the Static and that I won't be able to sustain the rates I row on the Dynamic.

If anyone else has perspectives of the split differences AT THE SAME RATE on the Dynamic vs. Static, I would be very interested. Concept 2 told me there is no difference as it is the same "fan unit". I am not so sure.

Thank you.

mict450
6k Poster

Post by mict450 » August 12th, 2020, 6:54 pm

Ombrax wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 10:41 pm
In a related matter, how do C2 Slides (and an erg) compare to a Dynamic?

I would think that the total moving mass using, say, a Model D + Slides is greater than the moving mass on a Dynamic, but percentage wise the difference is not huge. That could result in some differences, but other than that, are slides basically the same thing as a Dynamic?
On a one piece dynamic erg, there is no slack at the beginning of the drive. Engagement is instantaneous. I don't think a model D on slides would have that.
Eric, YOB:1954
Old, slow & getting more so
Shasta County, CA, small town USA