Newbi Seeks Advice

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Doczoc

Training

Post by [old] Doczoc » May 4th, 2005, 7:33 pm

I'm trying to follow the C2 beginners program. I'm 320lbs and very unfit, resting HR of 88bpm. I'm having real problems rowing at the suggested 18-20 spm in the program, averaging around 28. How can I get this down and remain fluid, when I try to go below 26 spm it just gets jerky and hit and miss. Help!

[old] maf

Training

Post by [old] maf » May 4th, 2005, 10:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Doczoc+May 5 2005, 09:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Doczoc @ May 5 2005, 09:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm trying to follow the C2 beginners program. I'm 320lbs and very unfit, resting HR of 88bpm. I'm having real problems rowing at the suggested 18-20 spm in the program, averaging around 28. How can I get this down and remain fluid, when I try to go below 26 spm it just gets jerky and hit and miss. Help! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi.<br /><br />Without seeing you row, I'd guess that you are returning to the catch position too fast.<br /><br />Try rowing fast from the catch to the end of the slide, then concentrate on spending about double the time getting back. <br /><br />The stroke should go: Catch, Legs, Arms, In that order to the end of the stroke, then reverse: Arms, Legs Catch. So when you get to the end of the stroke, focus on cruising back.<br /><br />When I used to row on the water, we used to do some training where we would row a solid stroke and exagerate the return, taking about 4 or 5 seconds to get back to the catch - this would be about 10 strokes a minute, you might try it to see if it helps you get a feel for a slower return.<br /><br />Hope this helps, I'm not a coach...<br /><br />Michael<br /><br />PS. I've left out the body movement at the hips from the 'catch, legs, arms' bit, and there are some that overlap the legs and arms movements at the catch. Lets start basic

[old] Doczoc

Training

Post by [old] Doczoc » May 5th, 2005, 11:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-maf+May 5 2005, 03:09 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(maf @ May 5 2005, 03:09 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Doczoc+May 5 2005, 09:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Doczoc @ May 5 2005, 09:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm trying to follow the C2 beginners program. I'm 320lbs and very unfit, resting HR of 88bpm. I'm having real problems rowing at the suggested 18-20 spm in the program, averaging around 28. How can I get this down and remain fluid, when I try to go below 26 spm it just gets jerky and hit and miss. Help! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi.<br /><br />Without seeing you row, I'd guess that you are returning to the catch position too fast.<br /><br />Try rowing fast from the catch to the end of the slide, then concentrate on spending about double the time getting back. <br /><br />The stroke should go: Catch, Legs, Arms, In that order to the end of the stroke, then reverse: Arms, Legs Catch. So when you get to the end of the stroke, focus on cruising back.<br /><br />When I used to row on the water, we used to do some training where we would row a solid stroke and exagerate the return, taking about 4 or 5 seconds to get back to the catch - this would be about 10 strokes a minute, you might try it to see if it helps you get a feel for a slower return.<br /><br />Hope this helps, I'm not a coach...<br /><br />Michael<br /><br />PS. I've left out the body movement at the hips from the 'catch, legs, arms' bit, and there are some that overlap the legs and arms movements at the catch. Lets start basic <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />thanks MAF, I think you're right about returning too quickly I also think I start with the legs and arms simultaneously on the return. I'll follow your advice and see what happens...cheers

[old] Rowmum

Training

Post by [old] Rowmum » May 5th, 2005, 5:56 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Doczoc+May 5 2005, 12:33 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Doczoc @ May 5 2005, 12:33 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm trying to follow the C2 beginners program. I'm 320lbs and very unfit, resting HR of 88bpm. I'm having real problems rowing at the suggested 18-20 spm in the program, averaging around 28. How can I get this down and remain fluid, when I try to go below 26 spm it just gets jerky and hit and miss. Help! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi there!<br />Just want to complement you on your efforts; keep the faith and you´ll get there!<br />What helped me is to use music at a slow stroke pace(just check your cd-collection and count with a stopwatch) and the dvd "oarwsome foursome" from concept2 Australia, which I ordered on concept2.co.uk(just e-mail them for the overseas-shipping).<br />It has a feature which offers a gold-medal-rower, rowing at 21 strokes for 30 or 60 minutes, and you can row along.<br />It also teaches you the right method and offers realistic exercises, apart from rowing.<br />I have lost 3 sizes while rowing(without a diet), so ....if I can do it....you will certainly get there!!!!<br />I´l cross my fingers for you!<br />All the best,<br />Andrea

[old] Doczoc

Training

Post by [old] Doczoc » May 5th, 2005, 6:50 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Rowmum+May 5 2005, 10:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rowmum @ May 5 2005, 10:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->[Hi there!<br />Just want to complement you on your efforts; keep the faith and you´ll get there!<br />What helped me is to use music at a slow stroke pace(just check your cd-collection and count with a stopwatch) and the dvd "oarwsome foursome" from concept2 Australia, which I ordered on concept2.co.uk(just e-mail them for the overseas-shipping).<br />It has a feature which offers a gold-medal-rower, rowing at 21 strokes for 30 or 60 minutes, and you can row along.<br />It also teaches you the right method and offers realistic exercises, apart from rowing.<br />I have lost 3 sizes while rowing(without a diet), so ....if I can do it....you will certainly get there!!!!<br />I´l cross my fingers for you!<br />All the best,<br />Andrea <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Ah thanks, that's really nice of you

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 5th, 2005, 9:50 pm

I would highly recommend you keep at the rating that feels most natural to you, i.e. 28 spm.<br /><br />You probably don't have the flexibility, at this time, to get an ultra long stroke rate, but that is not necessary to have good sessions and keep improving your fitness and times on the erg. Also, going beyond the bounds of what your body is telling you could have disastrous effects.<br /><br />I would stay with what is working for you, and keep making adjustments as you get used to the exercise.

[old] RoCKo

Training

Post by [old] RoCKo » May 5th, 2005, 10:38 pm

Hi Doczoc,<br /><br />I am very new at this and I understand your problem. I need to work on my fluidness also, except mine may be too slow. At 16-19 spm, I seem to almost stop-pause at the end of the stroke... not very fluid in my opinion.<br /><br />Anyway to your problem... to help with my stroke technique I will close my eyes and really concentrate on the steps the others have mentioned. Catch, legs with arms straight, and then arms at the very end. The "legs with arms straight" part is where I have to really focus on so that I dont start pulling too soon.<br /><br />And then the reverse very slow.<br /><br />I try to burst with my legs while keeping my arms straight and end with arms.... then very slow back.... Burst with legs while keeping arms straight and end with arms... then very slow back... etc.<br /><br />This really helps me lower my spm and at the same time better my time! <br /><br />Like I said, I think that maybe I'm too slow. But if I go at a faster spm, then I seem to lose time and I burn out quicker.<br /><br />Hope this will help you and good luck. Keep with it.<br /><br />Ron

[old] Doczoc

Training

Post by [old] Doczoc » May 6th, 2005, 11:14 am

Thanks for the replies guys, my instinct is to keep doing what I'm doing for now, until I build up fitness and flexibility. Then try to get my technique down. I know this may store up problems for later, but I think motivation wise it may be better for me to just get in the habit of rowing daily, in a way thats comfortable. I really appreciatte all your help and support...

[old] Doczoc

Training

Post by [old] Doczoc » May 9th, 2005, 3:56 pm

Just an update. Thanks to the advice above I am now doing 20 spm, and keeping quite fluid, just seemed to click. Still need to concentrate though.....thanks guys!!!!