welcome

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] PaulH

Forum use, comments and suggestions

Post by [old] PaulH » May 22nd, 2004, 6:45 am

<!--QuoteBegin-grams+May 21 2004, 04:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (grams @ May 21 2004, 04:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> A simple question: I was going to make a whiz-bang custom graphic for my identity. I went to the right page, nad it says the graphic should be pixels by pixels. Can you tell me how many pixels by how many pixels & I will optimize it to that. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> I believe the value is 64 by 64 - I've had some problems with avatar's myself, so you're not alone!<br><br>Cheers, Paul

[old] John Rupp

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 22nd, 2004, 10:08 am

It's the profile that doesn't show the pixel size.

[old] Xavier

Post by [old] Xavier » May 22nd, 2004, 1:52 pm

Nice format - I like the bit that you can see who's on at the same time at the bottom too. <br><br>Xav

[old] Mike McGuirk

Post by [old] Mike McGuirk » May 22nd, 2004, 3:10 pm

Thanks to Bill and crew, PaulH et al for a nice looking forum - lots of toys to play with, etc. I have to say though, that I miss the old "tree" view. Believe it was quicker to navigate, easier to see new posts and more efficient generally. But this is progress I suppose and perhaps it will grow on me. Pity the hack attack destroyed the archives - a valuable resource for sure! Maybe Bill can resurrect it in the form of a searchable text file and make it available for download?<br><br>

[old] John Rupp

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 22nd, 2004, 3:26 pm

As per PaulH's suggestion, click [active posts] at the upper left.<br><br>This gives you a tree view, that can be saved as a bookmark.<br>

[old] Mike McGuirk

Post by [old] Mike McGuirk » May 22nd, 2004, 5:21 pm

Thanks, John. I am well aware of the "Active posts" option having read PaulH's suggestion a few days ago. However the active posts view doesn't resemble any trees that I've ever seen - perhaps you have some like that out in your neck of the woods. What I'm looking for is something akin to, shall we call it, an "explorer" view as in Windows.

[old] Rogus

Post by [old] Rogus » May 24th, 2004, 5:31 pm

Questions on the use/viewing of polls. If you click the box to view the results, it registers you as having voted even though you never selected one of the poll choices. Does this mean you have to vote before you look at the results of a poll? What does "null vote" mean?

[old] PaulH

Post by [old] PaulH » May 24th, 2004, 5:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Rogus+May 24 2004, 04:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Rogus @ May 24 2004, 04:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Questions on the use/viewing of polls.  If you click the box to view the results, it registers you as having voted even though you never selected one of the poll choices.  Does this mean you have to vote before you look at the results of a poll?  What does "null vote" mean? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Rogus,<br><br>The poll function is trying to do things 'properly', though that might seem like overkill for a friendly site like this The idea is to stop you looking at the results before casting your vote, as seeing the results so far might skew your vote. Obviously for fact polls (e.g. "Do you own an erg?") that hardly matters, but for polls to express a preference (e.g. What color should the next erg model be?") it could affect the result.<br><br>If you choose to view the results without voting, therefore, you cast a "null vote", essentially you abstain! The best way to use polls is to follow the advice of Al Capone - "Vote early and vote often" <br><br>Cheers, Paul

[old] Rogus

Post by [old] Rogus » May 24th, 2004, 6:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulH+May 24 2004, 02:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (PaulH @ May 24 2004, 02:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> "Vote early and vote often" <br><br>Cheers, Paul <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Thanks for the info. Just a clarification. Your comment was just a joke right? You can only vote once in a poll?<br><br>So, if you select to view results prior to voting you can no longer vote in that poll.<br><br>One more question and since you know everything , I'll ask here. Pete has a poll about venue racing and internet racing. Apparently, it's locked(?) because i can't post a reply asking this question. Venue racing is racing where everybody goes to the race and races there?

[old] PaulH

Post by [old] PaulH » May 24th, 2004, 11:04 pm

Yes, just a joke!<br><br>I'm not sure why the poll is locked - it may be that Pete was able to select that option when he created it (I haven't created a poll myself yet). But a venue race is one that you travel to an arranged place to race, yes.<br><br>Cheers, Paul

[old] Rogus

Post by [old] Rogus » May 25th, 2004, 9:59 pm

How does one go about becoming an "anonymous member?"<br><br>How do I get rid of the extra lines below my signature? That's weird. They went away when I did the first edit. I'm trying to get them removed on all my posts so I'm not wasting screen space for those reading them.

[old] John Rupp

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 25th, 2004, 10:33 pm

Rogus,<br><br>When you log out, it gives you that choice when you log in again.<br><br>Your signature looks fine. There are no extra spaces below it.

[old] Rogus

Post by [old] Rogus » May 25th, 2004, 11:10 pm

Thanks John. I'm logging in automatically so it doesn't give me that choice because I go right to the home page.<br><br>The line problem does appear to be corrected.

[old] John Rupp

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 25th, 2004, 11:28 pm

Rogus,<br><br>Same for me, but you can still click "log out" in the upper left corner.<br><br>Then click anonomous, log in, and save your log in as you did before.<br><br>

[old] GeorgeD

Post by [old] GeorgeD » May 31st, 2004, 5:24 pm

The signatures are great ideas that would be good if everyone used them, maybe in a persons profile there could be a standard 'form' that people could fill in with times and details to create some consistancy .... then a place where you could add an 'actual signatue note.