2k Split Strategy

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Sirrowsalot

Training

Post by [old] Sirrowsalot » February 18th, 2005, 3:08 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Roland Baltutis+Feb 16 2005, 10:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roland Baltutis @ Feb 16 2005, 10:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I haven't done any stats on indoor races but I know that Shurmie was not in front after the 1st 500m when he won the Men's Open Crash Bs in 2004. You could say that he controlled the race from 2nd place and just sat there until his leading move in the final 500m.<br /><br /><i>Keep it smooth, keep it relaxed<br />Roland Baltutis</i> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />There should be no "moves" in indoor rowing. Any extra exertion here would have been more efficiently used spread out throughout the whole race. The only reason to do a "move" would be if it had some effect on the other racers, but of course this effect would rely on the others paying attention to the one making the move (which they have no reason to do--they should just row the fastest race they can) and them finding it necessary to react (again, not a good idea, the best strategy is to row evenly throughout the race.) I think a lot of this talk about "moves" in indoor rowing is due to the desire to inject the sport with a little bit more excitement, when really it should be the most predictable sport out there. If you can do it in practice, you'll be able to do it in competition, if you can't...you won't. Unlike sports like basketball or baseball, there should be no upsets in rowing. If you are faster than another rower, you should beat him everytime...if you aren't as well trained as the guy next to you, no fancy "move" is going to do anything.

[old] gw1

Training

Post by [old] gw1 » February 18th, 2005, 4:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Kleshnev had that in one of his biomechanics newsletters. His conclusions were that amongst the gold medal winners, the most popular strategy was along the lines of "fly and die." Go out to win and that's all we're after. Silver and Bronze had more conservative strategies (comparatively slower 1st 500m with more speed later). But the psychology of water rowing and indoor rowing is not the same... </td></tr></table><br /><br />Rob. <br /><br />Interesting point you raise. If you engage the "fly and die" method in a C2 race, using splits that you have accomplished before in training, why would you question this psychology. If your mentality is geared toward this approach, and you have personally achieved your best results from this approach, wouldn't it be the approach that your race strategy is predicated on? Win or lose i would think that you should use the race strategy that has yielded you the best results, and not let anyone elses strategy alter your plan.<br /><br />Gary<br />

[old] Deleerious

Training

Post by [old] Deleerious » March 20th, 2005, 2:33 am

There's no doubt- one has to get the split down in the first few strokes. Adrenaline is pumping, and a "cusion" at the beginning of the race is comforting. This is not to say to row a 1:35 for 3 strokes then go directly to a 1:45, but to get that 1:35 and slowly increase the split to the goal. Flat-line the splits after that, and kick it down in the last 250. If one is well-trained, it almost doesn't matter what you did during the rest of the piece. A body can do basically anything for 200 metres. <br />I voted for the bell curve, but I realised I should ahve done other- positive the first 10 strokes, transition before the 200 mark, steady until either 800 or 200, depending on whether you want a steady decline or just a sudden sprint, and go all out the last bit. Try not to go above your goal.

[old] Stanners77

Training

Post by [old] Stanners77 » March 20th, 2005, 11:38 pm

Cheers Roland,<br /><br />I haven't checked this thread since I posted - will indeed look out for you!<br /><br />My 5 man, Shane Jackson (15 y.o., 6 ft 4, 94kg & #35 on the C2 ranking) has actually done a 6:19 since my last post and we're doing our last 2K for the season this week.<br /><br />His splits were: 1:33.8, 1:35.0, 1:35.1, 1:35.6.<br /><br />Let's all remember the old saying "ergos don't float"...<br /><br />