Looking For Training Partner

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » February 28th, 2005, 11:41 pm

Starboard,<br /><br />Oh no I would never "pretend" to know you.<br /><br />Was just wondering, since you eat 30% fat, how you knew your total cholesterol was "just fine".<br /><br />But since you don't know then that answers that.<br /><br />Which is "just fine" with me.

[old] Ducatista

Training

Post by [old] Ducatista » March 1st, 2005, 2:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Feb 26 2005, 07:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Feb 26 2005, 07:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->By the way, snickers bars are high in caffeine, which depletes and throws your adrenals out of whack, upsets your thyroid hormones, hardens your arteries, and increases your blood pressure, as well as overstimulating your body and wearing out your nervous system. </td></tr></table><br />Oh lordy. Where's that giant eyeroll smiley?<br /><br />Some people (typically, though not always, of a puritanical bent) don't tolerate caffeine well. For the rest of us, caffeine is a benign — even beneficial — stimulant available in some very tasty delivery systems. Costa Rican's my vehicle of choice.<br /><br />If it's more than you can handle, fine, just back slowly away from the coffee pot and leave the rest of us to enjoy it.

[old] Douglas256

Training

Post by [old] Douglas256 » March 2nd, 2005, 10:53 pm

At least in my own case, excellent total cholesterol doesn't necessarily imply good health. Two years ago, I was quite over weight (5'10" and 194 lbs) with a total cholesterol of only 126. Now, I'm 158 lbs with a total cholesterol of 168. Does that mean I'm in worse shape? No, because my triglycerides dropped from 175 to 75, my HDL (good cholesterol) went up from 18 to 59 and my LDL/HDL ratio dropped from 4.0 to 1.6 -- in other words, my blood work is now ideal. <br /><br />How did I do it? Well, I started walking 20 minutes a day and counting calories (and only calories). After two months, I had lost 25 lbs and moved up to walking 40 minutes a day (at a 12% grade). After another two month, I started running and slowly built up to 50-70 miles a week. Then, in December, I discovered the Model C rower at my gym. Now, I have my own Model D and try to row a half marathon nearly every day.<br /><br />H33, I still have a couple inches around my waist I need to get rid of. So, if you still want a training buddy shoot me message.