Log Book Posting Ethics?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] jblamb1401

Training

Post by [old] jblamb1401 » February 12th, 2005, 2:39 pm

I am brand new to rowing. I think it's awesome that you can keep up with everything online. When I did a 2k row today I took a one minute break after 1k. Do I post this as a 2k row and add up my split times or do I post this as 2 1k rows?<br />Thanks <br />Jason

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » February 12th, 2005, 2:51 pm

Hi jblamb1401 and welcome to the forum.<br />If you stopped half way then I would have to call that a 2x1000m with 1 min rest session and not a 2000m. To list it as a 2000m time would not be the correct thing to do. Taking short drink breaks whilst rowing a set piece would be an expectable thing to do though.<br />Not meaning to appear rude, but are you able (illness, adaptive) of rowing 2000m in one session?<br /><br />Sir Pirate<br />

[old] jblamb1401

Training

Post by [old] jblamb1401 » February 12th, 2005, 2:56 pm

Thanks for the info. I got one more question though. Long distance rowers do take rests though, right? At what distance is it "acceptable" to take small breaks? Not getting off the rower just grabbing a sip of water and stretch a little? You're not being rude, I'm just new.

[old] johnnybike

Training

Post by [old] johnnybike » February 12th, 2005, 3:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Sir Pirate+Feb 12 2005, 01:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Sir Pirate @ Feb 12 2005, 01:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> To list it as a 2000m time would not be the correct thing to do. Taking short drink breaks whilst rowing a set piece would be an expectable thing to do though. </td></tr></table><br />Why would that be Sir Pirate?<br /><br />The session was 2k in total so what is the harm in putting that down.<br /><br />If I do a 10k piece that goes down as 14K (2K w/u, w/d).<br />However if I was to get a PB I would put that down as 10K ranked and a 4K session.<br /><br />Are you saying that they should be entered as 3 sessions. What is the reasoning behind that. From a server and input point of view it seems to be creating unnecessary records and work.<br /><br />I have just edited this post to make it clear that I am not advocating that the 2*1K should be counted as a 2K TIME. I am just talking about logging the mileage only

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » February 12th, 2005, 4:15 pm

Maybe I should of said that I was looking at it as a ranking piece and not just as a log book entry.<br /><br />I enter my distances in my on-line logbook every 6 weeks ish, that milage includes stops etc.<br /><br />Sorry, I should of made my self clearer<br /><br />Sir Pirate

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » February 12th, 2005, 4:52 pm

I just include my total rowing distance, and rowing time, in the log book.<br /><br />Break times are not included.<br /><br />Ranking pieces, however, are contiguous. So if you take breaks during a ranking piece, for a drink or whatever, that time is still included in your time for the piece.

[old] NavigationHazard

Training

Post by [old] NavigationHazard » February 13th, 2005, 8:57 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When I did a 2k row today I took a one minute break after 1k. Do I post this as a 2k row and add up my split times or do I post this as 2 1k rows?<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />To clarify -- maybe -- your problem and some of the replies: <br /><br />Anything you enter/don't enter in your personal log book is up to you. However every time you enter a PB time/distance result for one of the recognized C2 distances, the personal log will ask you whether you want to add your result to the on-line rankings. <br /><br />Clicking that link is an additional step that takes log entries out of the realm of the personal and into the public arena.<br /><br />Because the C2 rankings are essentially an honor board, you have an ethical responsibility to report honest times/distances. This includes rowing contiguous pieces, in which the clock starts when you take your first stroke, runs continuously, and ends when you've completed your last. Concept 2 does check top reported results to make sure they're not frivolous mistakes (typically top 5 to top 10, depending). But otherwise the rankings operate on a self-regulated system. And if you're not posting results in good faith, the first person you're fooling is yourself.<br /> <br />There's no reason you can't >log< a 2k time that you rowed as 2 discrete 1ks separated by a break. Why you'd want to is another question.... But in any event you shouldn't >rank-report< interval work as if it were full-length rows. <br /><br />When you're doing lots of intervals, it's a pain in the butt to log them individually. One convenient way around the recording problem is to log the total distance rowed but enter only zeroes in the time column. Then use the logbook's "Comments" section to record the interval times. <br /><br />For example: 2/13/05 Distance: 10,000 Time 0:0:00 Comments: 2k wu/cd; 6 x 1k @ 4:00, 1 min rest. <br /><br />This won't allow you to use the average pace chart function for the intervals, but I don't find that a significant disadvantage. It will however log the meters towards challenges, etc. <br /><br />

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » February 13th, 2005, 9:26 pm

Nav,<br /><br />I had that problem a few years ago, when doing 10000m a day etc.<br /><br />My solution was to enter the distance as 9999 meters, or 10001 meters.<br /><br />Then there was no conflict with the rankings and times etc.

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » February 13th, 2005, 9:51 pm

I do the same as you John, I just log in total distance and if that happens to be a ranking distance then I change it by 1m. If I want to rank a piece then I make one entry for the wu/cd and one for the piece concerned - I only put time in for ranking pieces all the others I set the time to 'zero'.<br /><br />George<br /><br />ps I have a separate spreadsheet I keep that I log all the meters in anyway - online is for the socks

[old] David Speed

Training

Post by [old] David Speed » February 14th, 2005, 6:47 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jblamb1401+Feb 12 2005, 01:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jblamb1401 @ Feb 12 2005, 01:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks for the info.  I got one more question though.  Long distance rowers do take rests though, right?  At what distance is it "acceptable" to take small breaks?  Not getting off the rower just grabbing a sip of water and stretch a little?  You're not being rude,  I'm just new. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />To actually answer your question, rather than discuss the intrinsic details of distance logging <br />The point at which you want to stop for a drink, etc is entirely up to you.<br />Personally, I won't stop in anything shorter than a 1 hour piece.<br />It depends on your fitness, endurance, pace, temp/humidity, pre training hydration, resistance to AAS (aching ar5e syndrome) and a million other issues.<br />As you become used to the machine and distance work, this will change.<br />As with it all, there is no golden rule that covers everyone. Listen to the advice on the forum, digest it and then apply it to yourself.

LindaM

Training

Post by LindaM » February 14th, 2005, 11:24 am

If you set the monitor to count down from 2000 meters to zero, and use the monitor results for your total time, it's a 2K piece, no matter how many times you wipe your brow or take a sip. Same thing for the longer pieces - 60 minutes, half marathon and marathon - where taking breaks is more likely. <br /><br />I frequently do 60 minutes that is actually 3 x 15 minutes with 5 minutes paddling between the work segments. I set it up that way on the monitor. Even if I'm pulling 5 seconds/500m harder during the work segments than for a steady state piece, it's rare I accumulate near as many total meters. So I've never "ranked" one of those interval workouts as a best 60 minute. But I would, if the number of total meters happened to be better than a steady state 60 minutes without breaks.

[old] grams

Training

Post by [old] grams » February 14th, 2005, 3:24 pm

Some time ago there was some discussion about whether taking the fastest split out of a session and entering that as a ranked time was legal. I was surprised to find that some folks do this. <br /><br />example: set the erg for 2000m countdown with 500 meter splits. Erg the 2000 and look at the splits. Take the fastest one and log it as a 500, and average out the remaining 1500 and enter it separately.<br /><br />Does that mean I can use the above method on my next marathon and do a 500 meter 'warmup' and go right into the 42195 meters without stopping? Total distance is 42695, but I can eliminate my slowest 500, which for me would be at the beginning.<br /><br />Personally I think that method isn't accurate because it doesn't include the start.<br /><br />All my ranked sessions on both C2 and Nonathlon are from a standing start, and I count all the time, whether rowing or trying to get my @#$ cd player to change to the next track. That includes long stuff: I set the PM and use total elapsed time for all workouts and rankings.<br /><br />So do any of you use the 'selective' method for your rankiongs?<br /><br />grams<br /><br />

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » February 14th, 2005, 4:43 pm

Grams there is no trouble ranking multiple pieces from one session as long they all start from the 'zero': eg set the monitor to 10,000m and off you go.<br /><br />You could log the:<br /><br />1st 500<br />1st 1000<br />1st 2000<br />1st 5000<br />1st 6000<br />and the 10,000<br /><br />You could do this up to a marathon BUT they must be the 1st time you pass the distance - so you CAN'T take the 3rd 500 or the 5th 1000 - EACH ONE, must commence from the standing start. ( I dont think you could fairly work out the 30min time either)<br /><br />The most important issue here is 'NO ROLLING STARTS' otherwise there is really no issue as long as you do the maths correctly and have the monitor set to record 500m splits or what ever you decide. The 'individual' ranking system is an 'honor' system anyway so people who cheat just cheat themselves.<br /><br />regds George

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » February 14th, 2005, 5:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-LindaM+Feb 14 2005, 07:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LindaM @ Feb 14 2005, 07:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I frequently do 60 minutes that is actually 3 x 15 minutes with 5 minutes paddling between the work segments. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />That's only 55 minutes.