Pb Failures ...

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » January 27th, 2005, 4:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Kudos+Jan 27 2005, 11:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Kudos @ Jan 27 2005, 11:42 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->no offense, but besides the correlation of thier being rowing in ben-hur, I would not consider it a rowing movie. The best rowing movie by far is "A Fine Balance" made by a rower for rowers about rowers. Theres a uk movie that is pretty good too called "the boat race"about the mutiny boat race in the late 70's I think? It was a long time ago that I saw it so I can't remeber too many facts about it, but it was good, also very rare in the U.S. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That should be in the American Market as "Miracle at Oxford" soon. I've passed on buying "A fine Balance" a few times due to lack of reviews, but I guess you would give it "kudos"?

[old] Mark Keating

Training

Post by [old] Mark Keating » January 27th, 2005, 4:43 pm

I made another attempt at the 2K test three days ago, this time considerably more successful ... 7:20 @ 26 SPM.<br /><br />I've given my initial failure some thought, and I think this is where I came up short in that attempt:<br />1) diet - I agree with afterburner completely. I didn't pay much attention to my diet in the days leading to the test, and I know that I ate just a light lunch and skipped supper completely before the test. I do not function well on a light diet at the best of times, so I don't know what made me think I could get away with it on test day. <br />2) health - the flu had been making its rounds through our house for a few days, and while I didn't have the symptoms, I am sure it was dragging me down a bit. The bad warmup was a strong signal from my body asking me to wait for another day, but I didn't listen. That was a mistake.<br />3) (likely most important) mental preparedness - I hadn't done a test for a few weeks and it was obvious that I had forgot how tough the 2K is, and how tough it is to improve upon one's time. My AN work ten days earlier had me believe that 7:20 would be easy. I even had visions of 7:10. So when I started out at 1:50 and actually had to perform some work to maintain that pace, it threw me for a loop and I just quit.<br /><br />In summary - eat well, listen to your body and don't bite off more than you can chew.<br /><br />Mark

[old] Kudos

Training

Post by [old] Kudos » January 27th, 2005, 4:53 pm

no, there not many reviews for it cause its an independent dcoumentary really, but everyone I know likes it. You already know the story, but I think it gives a good view into what its like to be national team rower and coach

[old] Bayko

Training

Post by [old] Bayko » January 27th, 2005, 5:08 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Jan 27 2005, 08:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Jan 27 2005, 08:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />  I've passed on buying "A fine Balance" a few times due to lack of reviews, but I guess you would give it "kudos"?  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />FWIW here's a review. I'd think that you might like more than most, since I see it mostly as the tale of Mike Teti (a coach like yourself) and his difficult decision-making, as well as a tale of rowers and what they go through in trying to compete at the top level.<br /><br />To paraphrase: "Some people think that I'm trying to force big guys like Cyrus (Beasley), Eric (Mueller), and Dave Simon into the eight. But like I told them, 'The worst guy in the boat, the WORST, has at least two gold medals at the world championships. They aren't going to just roll over because a guy with a big erg score comes along.'"<br /><br />Also: "I don't know what to do. But I know what NOT to do." <br /><br />Nintey-four minutes long. Perfect for one of Terry O'Neill's 1 X 90' UT2 workouts. (Not that THAT's your cup of tea )<br /><br />Rick

[old] Mr. Bun

Training

Post by [old] Mr. Bun » January 28th, 2005, 12:13 am

Mark:<br /><br />Congrats on the time of 7:20. You've done this with only 500,000 meters of rowing with no endurance background. <br /><br />I've reviewed my workouts and see that I've been concentrating on a lot of UT1 work, mostly in the 20 - 30 minute range. It shows since my best performances relative to age-weight standings are in the 5000 meters and 30 minutes. Since I want faster 2000 meter times, I guess I had better start training towards that.<br /><br />Off topic, Ben-Hur was an okay movie, but I really just liked the look on Charlton Heston's face as he rowed -- lot's of pain. <br /><br /><br />-- andre

[old] J.D.

Training

Post by [old] J.D. » January 28th, 2005, 1:37 am

In less than 2 days I am going after my biggest ever PB: the 24 hour world record. Yes, I'm scared I'll DNF. I've deliberately put pressure on myself to finish by seeking media attention (it's a fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity). I believe I can do it but I'm still losing sleep worrying about it.<br /><br />If I don't get the record (either too slow or DNF) it will probably be because I wasn't able to eat and drink enough. I'll report back later on how it went.

[old] peterb

Training

Post by [old] peterb » January 28th, 2005, 9:27 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Mr. Bun+Jan 28 2005, 12:13 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Mr. Bun @ Jan 28 2005, 12:13 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Off topic, Ben-Hur was an okay movie, but I really just liked the look on Charlton Heston's face as he rowed -- lot's of pain.  <br /><br />-- andre <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Ahhhh, Another Ben Hur Rowing Fan. RAMMING SPEED!!!!!!!!!! <br /><br />All the best, peterb

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » January 28th, 2005, 11:30 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Bayko+Jan 27 2005, 01:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bayko @ Jan 27 2005, 01:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Jan 27 2005, 08:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Jan 27 2005, 08:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />  I've passed on buying "A fine Balance" a few times due to lack of reviews, but I guess you would give it "kudos"?   <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />FWIW here's a review. I'd think that you might like more than most, since I see it mostly as the tale of Mike Teti (a coach like yourself) and his difficult decision-making, as well as a tale of rowers and what they go through in trying to compete at the top level.<br /><br />Rick <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Rick and Kudos, I should have an opportunity to pick up a copy at Ergomania This w/e and will do so.<br /><br />My wife and I are going to 2005 Masters Worlds in the 2x so I was checking out the USA Masters National Results from 2004, and low and behold the winners in our Class just happen to be Phil Stekl and his wife (I think), Phil has the distinction of being the First Indoor World Champion ever, Great, just great! <br /><br />

[old] nkoffler

Training

Post by [old] nkoffler » January 28th, 2005, 1:11 pm

Kudos-<br /><br />This is another example of sarcasm/irony/tongue-in-cheek being missed on the forum. I read on Slate.com a piece advocating a sarcasm punctuation mark to avoid this. Not a bad idea.<br /><br />On a straight up note, rare is the movie about any sport actually an accurate depiction of it. For sports further from the mainstream, this becomes more pronounced. <br /><br />BTW, anyone know if Heston ever used an erg?<br /><br />Neil<br /><br />

[old] DavidA

Training

Post by [old] DavidA » January 28th, 2005, 3:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-J.D.+Jan 28 2005, 12:37 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(J.D. @ Jan 28 2005, 12:37 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->In less than 2 days I am going after my biggest ever PB: the 24 hour world record. Yes, I'm scared I'll DNF. I've deliberately put pressure on myself to finish by seeking media attention (it's a fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity). I believe I can do it but I'm still losing sleep worrying about it.<br /><br />If I don't get the record (either too slow or DNF) it will probably be because I wasn't able to eat and drink enough. I'll report back later on how it went. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />J.D.,<br /> Best of luck on your row! <br /> (Even if you are crazy , it's for a good cause.)<br /><br />David

[old] Steve_R

Training

Post by [old] Steve_R » February 10th, 2005, 7:25 pm

Well, time to revisit this thread...<br /><br />I had visions of 7:20 in my head, not unrealistic but stupidity got in the way:<br />second pull 1:38/500<br />400 - 1:42/500<br />800 - 1:46/500<br />1200 - 1:52/500<br />1600 - 2:07/500<br />1712 - dead - 6:37.2<br /><br />I had set the pace boat for 1:50 hoping to just pull along with it. After my second pull and I saw 1:38. I kept telling myself "slow down idiot you will not survive" Then I saw the pace creep up to 1:40's. The angel saying "slow down" on one shoulder and on the other one was the devil telling me "look how far ahead of the pace boat you are " By 1000 meters, I finally slowed to 1:50 and just said "keep it here." I had already passed my PB 1k. I had just rowed 3:32 and my last PB 1k was 3:36. But that was the beginning of the end. At 1500, I just tried to finish it but the burn had already started 1200 meters ago....<br /><br />I will try again in a couple days. (hopefully with a better head on my shoulders)<br /><br />Steve

[old] zbenet

Training

Post by [old] zbenet » February 10th, 2005, 10:48 pm

Had a 2K Test two days ago. I was aiming for 6:49.9 negative split style since I had been training that way for the past couple of weeks. Here are the splits in 200 meter increments<br /><br />1:42.7 - 1st 200M<br />1:43.7 - 2nd 200M<br />1:43.2 - 3rd 200M<br />1:43.2 - 4th 200M<br />1:43.2 - 5th 200M<br />1:43.0 - 6th 200M<br />1:43.0 - 7th 200M<br />1:45.0 - 8th 200M<br />1L45.7 - 9th 200M<br />1:43.7 - 10th 200M<br /><br />Average was a 1:43.8 which is a 6:55.5. I hit a wall during the last few, so I still have to work out getting rid of my old tactic of fly and die.

[old] SteveV

Training

Post by [old] SteveV » February 11th, 2005, 2:34 am

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Jan 27 2005, 10:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Jan 27 2005, 10:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Kudos+Jan 27 2005, 11:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Kudos @ Jan 27 2005, 11:42 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->no offense, but besides the correlation of thier being rowing in ben-hur, I would not consider it a rowing movie. The best rowing movie by far is "A Fine Balance" made by a rower for rowers about rowers. Theres a uk movie that is pretty good too called "the boat race"about the mutiny boat race in the late 70's I think? It was a long time ago that I saw it so I can't remeber too many facts about it, but it was good, also very rare in the U.S. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That should be in the American Market as "Miracle at Oxford" soon. I've passed on buying "A fine Balance" a few times due to lack of reviews, but I guess you would give it "kudos"? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I have that film on DVD, it's called "True Blue" in the UK. Good Film, available oon Amazon for a few pounds, <a href='http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 23-1398029' target='_blank'>http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 029</a><br /><br />I got mine for £3.99 new, seems they only have 2nd hand copies now, maybe it's out of print. Maybe I should get mine on e-bay<br />

[old] Mark Keating

Training

Post by [old] Mark Keating » February 11th, 2005, 12:33 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steve_R+Feb 10 2005, 11:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steve_R @ Feb 10 2005, 11:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I will try again in a couple days. (hopefully with a better head on my shoulders)<br /><br />Steve <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Whose are you planning on using? <br /><br />Eerily similar to my last failed PB attempt, good luck next time!<br /><br />Mark

[old] Steve_R

Training

Post by [old] Steve_R » February 11th, 2005, 12:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mark Keating+Feb 11 2005, 11:33 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Mark Keating @ Feb 11 2005, 11:33 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steve_R+Feb 10 2005, 11:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steve_R @ Feb 10 2005, 11:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I will try again in a couple days. (hopefully with a better head on my shoulders)<br /><br />Steve <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Whose are you planning on using? <br /><br />Eerily similar to my last failed PB attempt, good luck next time!<br /><br />Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Since they no longer sell body parts on Ebay, I am forced to fix the one that I have <br /><br />I'm going to start with a 1k tonight which will reset my PB and give me a better feel for the rate (nearly 100% of what I do is UT1 or UT2). In honor of the CRASH-Bs, I think the next one will be on Sunday.<br /><br />Hopefully my next attempt will work out like yours did.<br />Steve<br /><br />