Monitor for Model B

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
2wheelsforever
Paddler

Monitor for Model B

Post by 2wheelsforever » January 9th, 2020, 5:35 pm

I just picked up an old Model B (1987 I believe). It has a PM1 that doesn't appear to be working. I'm going to try replacing the batteries and following the instructions in https://www.concept2.com/files/pdf/us/m ... sembly.pdf.

If that doesn't work, any suggestions on a replacement monitor? I'm not ready to shell out $200 for a PM5 yet (until I'm sure I'll use the rower consistently). Some of the used monitors on eBay still seem pretty pricey, and I'm a bit leery about purchasing another used monitor that may have it's own set of issues.

Thoughts?

CJOttawa
1k Poster

Re: Monitor for Model B

Post by CJOttawa » January 12th, 2020, 7:55 am

Keep you eyes open on the forum, maybe even on places like the Row2k classifieds.

A PM3 would be the minimum I'd suggest as it offers verification codes for certified results. Also has a USB port for ErgData connectivity. Some people have even given PM3s away for free when they upgrade to a PM5.

If you're buying a PM3, make sure it's the newer version. The "pre-August 2008" units tended to self-destruct after a while. (I'll let Carl Watts jump in if I have that date range wrong)

A PM4 will add better wireless connectivity but is otherwise similar to a PM3. If you find one of those on the cheap, that be an even better upgrade.

2wheelsforever
Paddler

Post by 2wheelsforever » January 12th, 2020, 3:15 pm

CJOttawa wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 7:55 am
Keep you eyes open on the forum
Is there a classifieds section? If so, I couldn’t find it. Or just check the forum frequently?

CJOttawa
1k Poster

Post by CJOttawa » January 15th, 2020, 2:02 pm

2wheelsforever wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 3:15 pm
CJOttawa wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 7:55 am
Keep you eyes open on the forum
Is there a classifieds section? If so, I couldn’t find it. Or just check the forum frequently?
Yeah, just keep checking back - they pop up every few months.

In the meantime, here's the link to Row2k: https://www.row2k.com/classifieds/

2wheelsforever
Paddler

Post by 2wheelsforever » January 15th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Thank you. I did find the row2k classifieds and posted there, so we'll see if that turns up anything. I'll also create a "wanted" post in this forum in case it jogs the memory of anyone who has an extra laying around...