Drinking During Erging

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] TheHagueDragon

Training

Post by [old] TheHagueDragon » January 18th, 2005, 4:07 am

Yesterday i did a (succesfull) PB-attack at 5k. When i row long pieces (longer then 15 minutes) i once or twice stop rowing to drink some water.<br>I drink with one hand and make two or three strokes with the other hand. Within 5 strokes i am back to the pace i was. <br>I think i don't lose much time and the few sips of water make up the lost time with new energy to go on. I sweat a lot so i think i need the water.<br>I also have to make the footstraps tighter several times during a piece.<br><br>How many times do you drink during longer distances?

[old] Cran

Training

Post by [old] Cran » January 18th, 2005, 4:31 am

Anything upto 90 mins I don't drink during the row.<br>Anything over 90 mins... I don't do it... <br><br>To stop the foot straps slipping, fold the end of the strap under the bit that goes accross your foot.<br>

[old] cityeast

Training

Post by [old] cityeast » January 18th, 2005, 8:30 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Cran+Jan 18 2005, 03:31 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Cran @ Jan 18 2005, 03:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Anything upto 90 mins I don't drink during the row.<br>Anything over 90 mins... I don't do it... <br><br> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> I tend to do the same, row one hand just to keep the erg ticking over and take a quick sip or two of water every 20min.<br><br>Cran, I can agree with you on not doing anything over 90min (I think my butt would turn blue after that long on an erg).<br><br>Unless the intensity is low (ie hardly a sweat), I would however recommend drinking something during any endurance exercise over 45min. Sure, not drinking may improve your stamina, but your not doing your body any favours. If your are sweating, you losing water, its gotta be replaced, sooner better than later.

[old] SimonB

Training

Post by [old] SimonB » January 18th, 2005, 10:15 am

Hi<br><br>I personally don't drink anything upto 16k. Over 16k I need fluid.<br><br>Other posters on this topic have suggested getting a maratohon runners belt to hold bottles and tube (for cycling). Don't know how comfortable that would be.<br><br>Let us know what you come up with.<br><br>

[old] makesureyoudoitright

Training

Post by [old] makesureyoudoitright » January 18th, 2005, 10:27 am

I dont drink when I erg, its perfectly fine to drink before and after exercise, there arent any benefits of drinking water during exercises provided youre hydrated in the first place. Its a mental thing.

[old] gw1

Training

Post by [old] gw1 » January 18th, 2005, 11:16 am

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> there arent any benefits of drinking water during exercises provided youre hydrated in the first place. Its a mental thing. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>There must be a point where pre-event hydration is exhausted. At that stage the body starts drawing fluid from muscles and organs, i wouldn't think that was just mental!<br><br>GW

[old] seat5

Training

Post by [old] seat5 » January 18th, 2005, 11:35 am

I definitely need to drink on anything 10K or more. If I don't, my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth and I start sort of choking. I can't seem to row one handed and drink, so I stop for a few seconds, have a few gulps, and retain a huge mouthful that I swallow, one swallow per stroke, for 5 or 6 strokes.<br><br>I did my first marathon last week and stopped 4 times to drink--2 litre bottle was empty at the end of the row, which was a decent time. I finished around 3:00 in the afternoon, and between then and bedtime drank about 8 more litres of water, plus 2 full tumblers of iced tea at dinner; the 2 litre bottle I put by my bed was empty in the morning. Next time I will have to tank up on water before I start, because I can't afford to take more stops and do a better time. Maybe one of those Camel Back things would work.<br><br>Carla

[old] Exrook

Training

Post by [old] Exrook » January 18th, 2005, 1:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-TheHagueDragon+Jan 18 2005, 04:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (TheHagueDragon @ Jan 18 2005, 04:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> How many times do you drink during longer distances? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> I shoot for at least a pint of Guiness every 10k or so

[old] cityeast

Training

Post by [old] cityeast » January 19th, 2005, 3:40 am

Would have to agree with gw1, pre-event hydration has its limits.<br><br>There are benefits to drinking during long exercise, you will delay exhaustion a hell of a lot longer. Why do marathons (even fun runs) provide drink stands at interim points? <br><br>Once your dehydrated its too late. <br><br>

[old] TheHagueDragon

Training

Post by [old] TheHagueDragon » January 19th, 2005, 3:50 am

i've learned with triathlons that you have to drink before you get thirsty. Because otherwise it's too late.<br>I have experienced that too. The holder of my bottle on my bike broke during biking. So i lost my bottle. By the time i had to run i had no more energy left.

[old] makesureyoudoitright

Training

Post by [old] makesureyoudoitright » January 19th, 2005, 5:05 am

<!--QuoteBegin-gw1+Jan 18 2005, 10:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (gw1 @ Jan 18 2005, 10:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> there arent any benefits of drinking water during exercises provided youre hydrated in the first place. Its a mental thing. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>There must be a point where pre-event hydration is exhausted. At that stage the body starts drawing fluid from muscles and organs, i wouldn't think that was just mental!<br><br>GW <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> It doesnt really matter if youre dehydrated by the end of your exercise session surely, as youve done the exercise...and you can quickly rehydrate yourself.

[old] cityeast

Training

Post by [old] cityeast » January 19th, 2005, 9:58 am

<!--QuoteBegin-makesureyoudoitright+Jan 19 2005, 04:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (makesureyoudoitright @ Jan 19 2005, 04:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It doesnt really matter if youre dehydrated by the end of your exercise session surely, as youve done the exercise...and you can quickly rehydrate yourself.<br> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> The risk comes if you are dehydrated and have not yet finished your exercise.<br><br>Your rehydration requirements are dependent upon your dehydration rate. You lose water to cool down. Therefore the relevant factors in your dehydration rate are how much heat you generate (intensity) and how much water loss is requiredto get rid of this heat (environmental factors such as clothing, temperature, humidity and wind). <br><br>It is probably possible to row a marathon outside on a 5deg C day and you might not even need to drink once. Try it on a 35 deg C day and you will be lucky to survive every 15min without something to drink.

[old] KPet1

Training

Post by [old] KPet1 » January 19th, 2005, 11:26 am

Granted I haven't been doing this too long, but have been doing 10-12 k every day lately, usually 2 5k's with a 2k after. I never ever drink water while erging ! In truth at the end of my row, I find that my bladder gives up and it's a battle to retain composure haha. Yes I do make sure that before I get on there I do not feel the need to use the bathroom and perhaps the problem I've been experiencing is due to the fact that for about the last 500 m or so I really go for it and push myself. Once I get off the thing I find I drink a ton, and thankfully I have a water cooler in my *** DELETE - SPAM ***.<br>Has anyone else out there had this bladder control dilemma or am I the only one ?<br><br>Kathie

[old] gorow9

Training

Post by [old] gorow9 » January 19th, 2005, 12:17 pm

If I'm gonna do a long row then I have one of those backpacks that have the water and the "straw" thing for bikeriding. I find that that's helpful because you don't have to stop to take a drink of water. I do find it helps to drink plenty of fluids whild erging but that's just me I guess if you feel lightheaded or dizzy or faing then you aren't drinking enough water <br><br>~Sara~<br><br>"Life's short... row hard" <br>"Shut up and row"<br>"Row till you die, THEN POWER 10!"<br><br>Then again in a boat you don't get much of a chance to drink water... but I find I don't get as thirsty or tired on water even if I go as far and fast...??