BritishRowing Beginner Training Plan

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Aimless1
Paddler

BritishRowing Beginner Training Plan

Post by Aimless1 » September 5th, 2019, 10:03 am

I finally got my technique to where I'm comfortable and near as I can tell have good form most of the time. I"m sure as I continue I will discover flaws that need to be corrected and/or improved. Long winded way of saying I'm comfortable on the C2 and ready to begin training.

I've looked at the Pete Plan, the Concept 2 Training Guide and the BritishRowing training plans. I''m out of shape and morbidly obese and new to rowing. The BritishRowing Beginner plan seems perfect for me. Used the search feature and really didn't find info or experiences with the Beginner plan.

I have one more workout concentrating on technique tomorrow morning, then I will begin. Finally dipping my oars in the water so to speak :P
Al

“Don’t cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it” Author unknown

max_ratcliffe
10k Poster

Re: BritishRowing Beginner Training Plan

Post by max_ratcliffe » September 5th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Aimless1 wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 10:03 am
I finally got my technique to where I'm comfortable and near as I can tell have good form most of the time. I"m sure as I continue I will discover flaws that need to be corrected and/or improved. Long winded way of saying I'm comfortable on the C2 and ready to begin training.

I've looked at the Pete Plan, the Concept 2 Training Guide and the BritishRowing training plans. I''m out of shape and morbidly obese and new to rowing. The BritishRowing Beginner plan seems perfect for me. Used the search feature and really didn't find info or experiences with the Beginner plan.

I have one more workout concentrating on technique tomorrow morning, then I will begin. Finally dipping my oars in the water so to speak :P
We're all working on technique every single time we get on the erg. "It's one of those sports where you do get better with every stroke you take" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJca2wHY4Ok, Mo Sbihi, about 2:37).

If you're looking to lose weight, lots of long, slowish rows will help. Fast stuff won't burn too many calories and if my experience is anything to go by, will leave you feeling hungry!

Take it easy(ish), and don't try to push too much, too soon. Any plan is better than no plan, but whatever the plan, pacing is crucial. Forget any ideas of "no pain, no gain" and leave a bit in the tank each time so that you could do more.

The following quotes - which I wish I'd read before I started out - are from Wolverine Plan creator, Mike Caviston.

"A common mistake with people beginning a new program is to push too hard too soon"

and

"Don't get greedy. Don't go faster even if you feel like you can or want to. ... Always leave yourself feeling like you could have done more (in fact, you should be anxious to try). It's tempting on a day you feel good to just put the pedal to the metal and go for it, but be disciplined. ... A common training error is to push too fast too soon, leading to burnout and a mental barrier that will be hard to overcome."

Good luck.
51 HWT
PBs:
Rower 1'=329m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7582m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46
SkiErg 1'=309m; 500m=1:40.3; 1k=3:35.3; 2k=7:35.5; 5k=20:18; 6k=24:35; 30'=7239m; 10k=42:09; 60'=14209m; HM=1:32:24

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster

Post by lindsayh » September 5th, 2019, 9:56 pm

there is a really useful beginners thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=185257
Lindsay
72yo 93kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

Aimless1
Paddler

Post by Aimless1 » September 6th, 2019, 8:47 am

Thanks Lindsay. I had read that thread, but you can't read them all. Seems like it is full of common sense. Threads like that and past experience with other activities led me to concentrate on technique first. I am not especially coordinated so all the more important for me.

For those who have not seen the BR Beginners plan here it is https://www.britishrowing.org/wp-conten ... n_P3-5.pdf. No affiliation with the group but this plan seems ideal for a beginner who has never rowed before. Looking forward to starting it tomorrow.
Al

“Don’t cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it” Author unknown

winniewinser
Half Marathon Poster

Post by winniewinser » September 6th, 2019, 9:11 am

Looks like a good start for anyone completely new to rowing.

I'm using the Beginner Pete Plan which may be a good next step after the BR Beginners. It has some longer distances for example.

Good luck
6'2" 52yo
Alex
Recent 2k - 7:19
All time 2k - 6:50.2 (LW)

mitchel674
10k Poster

Post by mitchel674 » September 6th, 2019, 9:54 am

Al, that training plan looks like a good place to start. I like the fact that they add a suggested non-rowing session each week (walking and/or light jogging). My only gripe is that they only suggest you row twice each week. If you get into it and like rowing, I would suggest a third session each week of a longer row at their easiest suggested pace. Start at just 10 minutes and then add on time as you progress.

The BPP would be a great next step after you complete the BritishRowing Beginner Plan. You're not ready to start the BPP at this point.

Good luck and post your progress!
59yo male, 6ft, 153lbs

Aimless1
Paddler

Post by Aimless1 » September 6th, 2019, 10:19 am

mitchel674 wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 9:54 am
Al, that training plan looks like a good place to start. I like the fact that they add a suggested non-rowing session each week (walking and/or light jogging). My only gripe is that they only suggest you row twice each week. If you get into it and like rowing, I would suggest a third session each week of a longer row at their easiest suggested pace. Start at just 10 minutes and then add on time as you progress.

The BPP would be a great next step after you complete the BritishRowing Beginner Plan. You're not ready to start the BPP at this point.

Good luck and post your progress!
The number of times to workout each week is a question that seems to have vague answers. I recall seeing a Dark Horse video where Shane claims the optimum number of times to work out each week on the rower is twice, three times if you really like it. If I remember correctly had to do with no further gains and diminishing returns. I haven't been able to find a study either backing that up or suggesting some other number.

I like your recommendation Mitchel. Makes sense. I don't know if I will like rowing but I do look forward to each session on the C2 so far.
Al

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » September 6th, 2019, 10:51 am

max_ratcliffe wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 9:11 pm

We're all working on technique every single time we get on the erg. "It's one of those sports where you do get better with every stroke you take" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJca2wHY4Ok, Mo Sbihi, about 2:37).

If you're looking to lose weight, lots of long, slowish rows will help. Fast stuff won't burn too many calories and if my experience is anything to go by, will leave you feeling hungry!

Take it easy(ish), and don't try to push too much, too soon. Any plan is better than no plan, but whatever the plan, pacing is crucial. Forget any ideas of "no pain, no gain" and leave a bit in the tank each time so that you could do more.

The following quotes - which I wish I'd read before I started out - are from Wolverine Plan creator, Mike Caviston.

"A common mistake with people beginning a new program is to push too hard too soon"

and

"Don't get greedy. Don't go faster even if you feel like you can or want to. ... Always leave yourself feeling like you could have done more (in fact, you should be anxious to try). It's tempting on a day you feel good to just put the pedal to the metal and go for it, but be disciplined. ... A common training error is to push too fast too soon, leading to burnout and a mental barrier that will be hard to overcome."

Good luck.
Great advice Max. It is so easy push too hard and set a limit that you don't know at the time will leave you frustrated too quickly as you're falling short too soon. There is far more satisfaction in the 'long game' and steadily building gains and chalking up victory after victory.

The ego has a very limited part to play in rowing, especially when you're deciding on targets / distances / pace etc
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

max_ratcliffe
10k Poster

Post by max_ratcliffe » September 7th, 2019, 5:54 am

Dangerscouse wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 10:51 am
<>
Great advice Max. It is so easy push too hard and set a limit that you don't know at the time will leave you frustrated too quickly as you're falling short too soon. There is far more satisfaction in the 'long game' and steadily building gains and chalking up victory after victory.

The ego has a very limited part to play in rowing, especially when you're deciding on targets / distances / pace etc
It's easy to misunderstand the PP and BPP pacing guidelines (I know the OP isn't following those, but nevertheless...).

I look at those guidelines now, and they seem really straightforward, but I didn't understand them at the time.

"If in doubt, go slower!" doesn't mean go so slow that it's barely a workout. It means "slow enough that you can definitely complete the workout, and can progress from here as your fitness improves, without needing a miracle".
51 HWT
PBs:
Rower 1'=329m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7582m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46
SkiErg 1'=309m; 500m=1:40.3; 1k=3:35.3; 2k=7:35.5; 5k=20:18; 6k=24:35; 30'=7239m; 10k=42:09; 60'=14209m; HM=1:32:24

Aimless1
Paddler

Post by Aimless1 » September 16th, 2019, 5:54 am

Started week 2 this morning. Enjoying training and beginning to notice nuances in my technique. Work in progress. Oddly, I'm enjoying interval work.

Stupid question that I can probably look up, but what do you do during the rest?

Biggest problem? My gut. Not only does it interfere with the stroke, it interferes with my breathing. A problem only time, exercise and diet will solve.

BTW, I smile every time I see the Post your personal best thread. I have a personal best everyday :D
Al

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » September 16th, 2019, 6:12 am

Aimless1 wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 5:54 am
Started week 2 this morning. Enjoying training and beginning to notice nuances in my technique. Work in progress. Oddly, I'm enjoying interval work.

Stupid question that I can probably look up, but what do you do during the rest?

Biggest problem? My gut. Not only does it interfere with the stroke, it interferes with my breathing. A problem only time, exercise and diet will solve.

BTW, I smile every time I see the Post your personal best thread. I have a personal best everyday :D
Yeah, newbie gains will keep on coming for a while yet.

Your fitness will dictate your breathing and as you rightly say time exercise and diet will make the difference.

During rests some of us stop completely (something I do) and some just row at a lot slower pace to keep moving. There is no right answer as it's very subjective so give both a try and see what feels right
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman