Height of Model D when parked upright

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
tjnelso1
Paddler

Height of Model D when parked upright

Post by tjnelso1 » March 17th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a Model D rower for my apartment. The apartment is pretty small and it would be ideal to store the rower upright, without folding it in two. The ceiling height in my apartment is 95", however, and I see the total length of the rower from the Concept 2 webpage is 96". I'm wondering if anyone has measured from floor to the top of their rower when it's parked upright (not folded for storage)? If the rower is at all angled while it's parked upright the height of the rower from the floor could be under 95", even though total length at measured by Concept 2 is 96". Just wondering if anyone knows what that dimension would be?

Thanks!

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Re: Height of Model D when parked upright

Post by Carl Watts » March 18th, 2019, 1:58 am

They JUST fit on their nose under our standard ceiling height of 2.4 meters.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Allan Olesen
5k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » March 18th, 2019, 4:19 am

Is the centre joint of a new model D stable when the rower is in an upright position?

I have the old D (D1, year 2003-2006), which has a lock on the joint, but as I remember the new D, the joint comes apart as soon as you lift the rower at the centre.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » March 18th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Allan Olesen wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 4:19 am
Is the centre joint of a new model D stable when the rower is in an upright position?

I have the old D (D1, year 2003-2006), which has a lock on the joint, but as I remember the new D, the joint comes apart as soon as you lift the rower at the centre.
Not if the latch on top is in the correct position. It pays to not keep disassembling and reassembling your rower if you can help it. They flip up onto their nose and are pretty stable if your need the floor area in between rowing. My older Model C is now "Parked" on its nose all the time as its essentially an expensive "Test Jig" for the PM2 monitor repairs and its always useful to have a spare Erg in case your main Erg goes down or need maintenance.
Carl Watts.

Ripples
1k Poster

Post by Ripples » March 18th, 2019, 11:41 pm

Carl Watts wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 5:55 pm

It pays to not keep disassembling and reassembling your rower if you can help it. They flip up onto their nose and are pretty stable if your need the floor area in between rowing. My older Model C is now "Parked" on its nose all the time as its essentially an expensive "Test Jig" for the PM2 monitor repairs and its always useful to have a spare Erg in case your main Erg goes down or need maintenance.
Why not? Concept’s website features the ease of storage in two sections, pointing out the simplicity of disassembly and assembly.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » March 19th, 2019, 12:35 am

Only the new model D is relatively easy to disassemble. All of the older versions with the CAM underneath are a complete PITA to disassemble and reassemble. Just another thing you don't want to be doing every time you row.
Carl Watts.

CJOttawa
1k Poster

Post by CJOttawa » March 19th, 2019, 7:12 pm

I just measured: 236cm (about 93 inches).

I have a carpeted floor but it's thin and doesn't have much give. (maybe half a centimeter, no way is it an inch)

When pivoting, the arc doesn't need more than a couple of centimeters (let's say an inch) of extra clearance.

I think you'll be able to pull it off, even if it's tight.

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » March 19th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Do we have a paraphrasthole in the house shilling an EE school? Tell me it aint so. :?
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

Ripples
1k Poster

Post by Ripples » March 19th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Carl Watts wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:35 am
Only the new model D is relatively easy to disassemble. All of the older versions with the CAM underneath are a complete PITA to disassemble and reassemble. Just another thing you don't want to be doing every time you row.
Didn't know that about the older models. That was an important factor when I bought my 2D, being able to keep it in two sections as I just don't have the space to keep it assembled nor do I have high ceilings. Good engineering on Concept's part for the ease of storage.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » March 20th, 2019, 12:32 am

jackarabit wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 10:08 pm
Do we have a paraphrasthole in the house shilling an EE school? Tell me it aint so. :?
Do you speak English ? I don't want to come across as rude, but seriously I don't understand just about every post you make on here.

I have more success with the online chat talking to Germans with RowPro.
Carl Watts.

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » March 20th, 2019, 1:02 am

Mocking jay doppelgänger on your six, Carl, third post down from your first. Big fan of yours? Got hisself on report to old Doug, he did, altho not for taking the piss with you. You got to try to pay attention, Bud.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

Slothful1
6k Poster

Post by Slothful1 » March 20th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Thanks for flagging that Jack. He's managed to sneak 2 posts past the Spam Patrol, so we're rightfully annoyed and he will be deleted in due course.

Cheers
Dave

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » March 20th, 2019, 4:45 pm

jackarabit wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 1:02 am
Mocking jay doppelgänger on your six, Carl, third post down from your first. Big fan of yours? Got hisself on report to old Doug, he did, altho not for taking the piss with you. You got to try to pay attention, Bud.
Sorry mate, I try and avoid the S*@t fights on here. Generally this Forum is much better than others I have joined in the past. So far I have had to quit 2 car forums and a bike forum as they are full of idiots. Your best to just leave the blind leading the blind and walk away sometimes.
Carl Watts.

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » March 20th, 2019, 7:42 pm

You’re welcome S1. Didn’t waste time currying favor! 2nd post and he’s running Carl’s entire post thru some sort of synonym-izer which changes a few nouns only and bouncing it back to the thread with an advert for his alma mater. Weird.

No worries, Carl. Bit of argybargy nothing fatal. :wink:

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

Allan Olesen
5k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » March 21st, 2019, 3:58 am

jackarabit wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 7:42 pm
You’re welcome S1. Didn’t waste time currying favor! 2nd post and he’s running Carl’s entire post thru some sort of synonym-izer which changes a few nouns only and bouncing it back to the thread with an advert for his alma mater. Weird.
When I read that post, I wondered if he had run it twice through Google Translate. Can give funny results sometimes.