In The Long Run

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Atorrante

Training

Post by [old] Atorrante » November 8th, 2004, 5:32 pm

What you do during long rows, i.e. rows 10 k and longer. Hearing music and look to the PM3 is getting me boring (crazy).

[old] becz

Training

Post by [old] becz » November 8th, 2004, 5:47 pm

Sometimes if I'm setting out to do a long row, and just don't feel very enthusiastic, rather than setting the monitor for 20k (or whatever I'm doing) and doing it all as one piece, I'll set it for intervals of 1 or 2k, with a 15 or 30 sec. rest in between. This nicely breaks things up, keeps me mentally into what I'm doing, and gives me a convenient time to sip some water, stretch my legs, whatever. I've also set the rest time to something a little longer (a minute or two), and rather than rest, get off the erg and do some pushups, situps, whatever. This keeps my heart rate up, and works some other muscles at the same time.

[old] arakawa

Training

Post by [old] arakawa » November 8th, 2004, 5:55 pm

I watch DVDs. During a 10k, I can fit in one episode of a hour-long TV show (which has about 45 minutes of non-commercial content). A HM for me is almost exactly two such episodes or most of a movie. I use Netflix to keep the DVDs coming.

[old] Godfried

Training

Post by [old] Godfried » November 8th, 2004, 6:22 pm

I count. Strokes needed to go .1 average faster. Strokes needed to go .1 average slower. Strokes needed to get the heart-rate down again after a sprint. Switching the view of the monitor to estimated / realized / pace. <br><br>And the best : watch the ( trying to become ) beautiful girls on the floor beside me. <br><br>[ Lately they moved the ABS-mattress to the side of the ergs ]<br>

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » November 8th, 2004, 6:24 pm

When I do a Half Marathon, I go down the gym to do it, watch all the lovely ladies. The time just flys by <br><br>10K's I do at home staring at the wall, helps me stay focused.<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] Coach Gus

Training

Post by [old] Coach Gus » November 8th, 2004, 6:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Sir Pirate+Nov 8 2004, 02:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Sir Pirate @ Nov 8 2004, 02:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> When I do a Half Marathon, I go down the gym to do it, watch all the lovely ladies. The time just flys by <br><br> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> It would have to in order to be done in the 60 minutes maximum time you allow per session.

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » November 8th, 2004, 6:43 pm

Your not wrong Gus, <br><br>Have only ever done 3 HM's in my rowing time. After BIRC I will be going for a sub 1:50/500m pace HM. Won't do any more than an hour at a time training for it though <br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] michaelb

Training

Post by [old] michaelb » November 8th, 2004, 9:02 pm

In addtion to music, I have a TV. There are lots of shows I would never watch otherwise, that are interesting when the sound is off and you have music blasting. Some sports are great for rowing (American football in particular).<br><br>But now I have rowpro, and I spend most of time watching that display. I posted it before, but here is the link again. This is what keeps me entertained (that's the subwoofer with all the wires at the front of the rower):<br><br><a href='http://sorella3.myfastmail.com/rowpro2.jpg' target='_blank'>rowpro setup</a>

[old] DavidA

Training

Post by [old] DavidA » November 9th, 2004, 2:09 pm

I also usually have the TV on to shows I wouldn't watch otherwise. I pretty much don't watch TV except when I am erging.<br>If it is a short row I may just watch the e-row screen.<br>I don't have RowPro as the old PC I have near the erg is too old for RowPro.

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » November 9th, 2004, 3:12 pm

I've never done over a HM but boredom has never been a problem as I constantly monitor my technique/rate and pace etc<br><br>As I row in the morning about 5:30 I figure if its not going to make me better I may as well stay in bed, so I try not to waste any of the effort, no meters are un-important.<br><br>- George

[old] albailey

Training

Post by [old] albailey » November 9th, 2004, 9:10 pm

since i row every morning from about 5-6am, i've routed my tv audio thru the stereo and<br>run a headphone extension cord out to a pair of 'ear buds'. this way i can catch up on the<br>news or some random movie, and not wake the family. this may be the push i need to<br>finally get a tivo or other video recording setup, in order to have a bit more control over<br>the available content...<br><br>- al.