How Many Hours Of Exercise A Week Do You Do?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Ericr

Training

Post by [old] Ericr » September 6th, 2004, 1:10 pm

2 hours a week, still manage to improve although not at as fast as I want sometimes.

[old] RogerR

Training

Post by [old] RogerR » September 6th, 2004, 10:35 pm

I'm new to ths forum and getting jealous by looking at the sores of many of you. I got my model D in November 03 and have achieved close to 1'5 mio meters so far. Due to heavy workload including plenty of business travel and two little kids at home I have little time to exercise. Is there anybody in a similar situation and wllling to share viewpoints and experiences? My goal for ths season is 2 mio meters and 40 min. on 10000 m.<br><br>Roger

LindaM

Training

Post by LindaM » September 7th, 2004, 8:29 am

I am happiest when I can fit in an hour and a half each work day - an hour row + a half hour of stretching and light weights, or a long walk up a steep hill, and 2 - 3 hours each weekend day - bike riding, hiking, swimming, nordic skiing, or snowshoeing. 9 - 12 hours a week is fairly typical. <br><br>Volunteer and political activities are what sometimes cut into my exercise routine. Guess those activities are nurturing another part of my heart.

[old] PaulH

Training

Post by [old] PaulH » September 7th, 2004, 8:54 am

At the moment (i.e. summer in Minnesota) I do:<br><br>5hrs cycling (commuting)<br>4 hrs rowing<br>0.5 hrs weights<br><br>So 9.5, not too bad. Now if only I could cut down on the food side of the equation!<br><br>Cheers, Paul

[old] raverlaw

Training

Post by [old] raverlaw » September 7th, 2004, 12:26 pm

I am still 'recovering' from open heart surgery in February. I started out walking 2x day and progressed to running, and now erging. Here's where I currently am:<br><br>Calisthenics- 15-20 minutes 4X week<br>Erging - 45-60 minutes 6X week<br>Running - 50-60 minutes 3X week<br><br>I've lost 30 pounds since the surgery and feel better than I ever have. When I miss a workout, I feel terrible for the whole day. So, I guess you could say I'm 'addicted' to exercise. But really I'm addicted to a new, healthy lifestyle - eating less, eating healthier, getting lots of exercise. As the days grow shorter and cooler, I suppose my erging hours will increase and running will decrease. but I intend to keep at least the same number of hours weekly - I'd like to think I can fit in a few more to fight off winter doldrums.<br><br>My current goal is to finish my first 1 million meters by 2/20/04, the first anniversary of my surgery. I'm currently competing in the Nonathlon and logging my meters online at C2 - my ranked pieces are around the 83-88% level so far - - but hey, I'm still pretty new at this.<br>

[old] jsiegmund1

Training

Post by [old] jsiegmund1 » September 7th, 2004, 1:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RogerR+Sep 6 2004, 09:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (RogerR @ Sep 6 2004, 09:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Due to heavy workload including plenty of business travel and two little kids at home I have little time to exercise. Is there anybody in a similar situation and wllling to share viewpoints and experiences? My goal for ths season is 2 mio meters and 40 min. on 10000 m.<br><br>Roger <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Roger,<br>I'm in a similar situation minus the business travel. I feel for you. It's hard to balance all these priorities. What has worked well for me is working out early in the morning before the rest of the family gets up. It's not easy because my motivation is "less than optimal" at 5:30 am but once I get going it feels fine. The big bonus is I feel good the rest of the day and, most importantly, I'm not tempted to skip the work out due to work or familly pressures. I erg, run, and ride a stationary bike (one activity per day) 5 or 6 days a week. I usually work out for 1 to 1.5 hours. I used to do a lot of business travel so I know how difficult that can be when trying to set a schedule. The only thing I can offer is just keep with it and do the best you can. Do you do anything other than erg? One of the nice things about running is it's easy to bring your shoes when you travel and you can usually find a spare 30 minutes or so each day. Running is no substitute for erging if your goal is very erg oriented but it has worked well for me as part of a general fitness and weight control program. And if you can't erg it's better than doing nothing. It's also something you might be able to fit into the middle of the day on a day you can't erg. If you do start running and haven't heard this before than I advise starting slow and building milage/time slowly. As opposed to erging it is an impact sport and easier to suffer injuries from.<br>2 million meters in a year seems to me like a pretty good total so it's clear you have been able to find some time to exercise. Don't get too discouraged by some of these people working out 20+ hours a week. I always figure more power to 'em but it isn't going to be me for a while. In 10 years, who knows.<br>My goal was similar to yours, a sub 40 10k, and I'm happy to say I rowed a 39:48.7 last Sunday. It's definitely doable and it can even be fun if you don't take it too seriously.<br><br>Good luck and keep at it.<br><br>Jim

[old] albailey

Training

Post by [old] albailey » September 7th, 2004, 5:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-afolpe+Sep 3 2004, 08:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (afolpe @ Sep 3 2004, 08:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->[...] (30 minutes 'other" if we can ever get both girls asleep at once...) [...]<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>you know you're addicted if this 'other' activity includes a heart rate monitor!<br><br>me: 45+ minutes erg @ 75% HRmax, 6 times a week.<br>walk the dogs for 30 minutes, post-erging.<br>1-2 hours tennis with my daughter, 2 times a week.<br>an hour long bike ride or two a week.<br><br>looks like 10 hours a week or so (not counting the 'other' )<br><br>- al.

[old] Coach Gus

Training

Post by [old] Coach Gus » September 7th, 2004, 7:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulH+Sep 7 2004, 04:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (PaulH @ Sep 7 2004, 04:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> At the moment (i.e. summer in Minnesota) I do:<br><br>5hrs cycling (commuting)<br>4 hrs rowing<br>0.5 hrs weights<br><br>So 9.5, not too bad. Now if only I could cut down on the food side of the equation!<br><br>Cheers, Paul <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Is that <b>every</b> day?

[old] Bill

Training

Post by [old] Bill » September 7th, 2004, 10:56 pm

Hello,<br><br>6 x a week x 1hr = 6 hrs but really only 3hrs solid erging<br><br>breakdown is<br><br>5min warmup slow 1k<br>5min stretches<br><br>30-34min main piece - pulse 150ish my mhr 173<br><br>5min warmdown slow 1k<br>10min stretches<br><br><br>Bill<br>

[old] DavidA

Training

Post by [old] DavidA » September 8th, 2004, 4:08 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RogerR+Sep 7 2004, 02:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (RogerR @ Sep 7 2004, 02:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Due to heavy workload including plenty of business travel and two little kids at home I have little time to exercise. Is there anybody in a similar situation and wllling to share viewpoints and experiences? My goal for ths season is 2 mio meters and 40 min. on 10000 m.<br><br>Roger <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Roger,<br>I have a somewhat similar situation. I don't have business travel, but we have 5 kids. My wife and I both work full-time so share all the household chores. I also am an orthodox Jew, so I have a lot of time each day that is taken up with prayers, etc. and days on which I can't use the erg. I don't get a chance to row until late at night, so I am quite tired by then. I just exercise for my health, as a stress reliever, etc., not to train for races. I try to do at least 30 minutes a day. On Sunday's I can usually try to get in a longer row. I also try to participate in the Nonathlon and all C2 challenges.<br>I think 2 Mm a year is very good goal, as is the 40 min for a 10 km row. Good luck.<br><br>David

[old] eurofoot13

Training

Post by [old] eurofoot13 » September 8th, 2004, 8:24 pm

Right now I have <br>2 hours a day team practice (6x week, on water )<br>1.5 hours lifting (3x week)<br><br>I want to say that's 18.5 hours a week, I unfortunately have lost my math skills since I started college.<br><br>

[old] soozi

Training

Post by [old] soozi » September 17th, 2004, 5:34 am

this summer ill do about 10 hours a week during term time (school ) but that doesnt include sport at school or sailing.<br><br>just did my first erg today, getting back into it after winter. 4.22 for 1K and i died... i am 14 & only 5 2 but i've still got a long way to go until regattas in november...<br><br>suzie

[old] Afterburner

Training

Post by [old] Afterburner » September 17th, 2004, 11:06 pm

Lessee here,<br>2hrs 6 times a week on the water with the University team<br>1hr of weights 3 times a week<br>4.5 hrs a week rowing with the masters<br>probably about 3 hrs a week in other activities (running, erging, etc.) that I do on my own.<br>Total: ~22.5<br>And yes, I'm most definitely addicted to exercise, especially out in the single. Gotta have that fix or I go bonkers.<br><br>Heather Johnson<br>F20 165lbs 5'7" 2k 7:32.2

[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » September 19th, 2004, 5:54 pm

50 hours a month.....................I need the rest at my age

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » September 22nd, 2004, 1:11 pm

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->One day I'm going to read an article that says I need therapy for breathing dependency.<br><!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br> <br><br>I also have an eating dependency, various social dependencies, many emotional dependencies, a reading dependency, an eating dependency, a bathroom dependency, a work dependency, various entertainment dependencies, and (most of all, I think) a family dependency (to parents, sibs, wife, and kids). Many of these dependencies also take up more than two hours of my day.<br><br>ranger