Fowl Play

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] mimitap

First Virtual Team Challenge

Post by [old] mimitap » January 6th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Good morning all you fowls! <br /><br />I was so excited to see the January challenge and to join this team - just what I needed to get me back into the basement and onto the erg. I am in Ontario where we are waiting for bit of a snow storm after a lot of rain.<br /><br />My 18 year old daughter laughed hysterically when I told her that I had joined a virtual rowing team - another crazy thing done by her crazy mother. Then I invited her to join - and she did. Bad thing to do though - she passed me yesterday afternoon, so last night I had to get on and row for 35 minutes. That put me about 3,000 ahead, but I'll bet she sneaks in some mileage while I am at work today. What fun some healthy competition can be.

[old] QWACKY

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 6th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Hi again to all fellow Ducks!!<br />Yes, Tom, it would be great to hear from other ducks here to get some input.These posts have been a great way to get tips and get to know each other in some small way.I know just from my own personal experience with this challenge that I need to vary my daily rows..or I know that burnout will be right around the corner.I have found that a day or 2 of light easy rows make a difference.Lower my damper and row with a little less gusto.Less meters perhaps but overall they do make it so I don't get overuse injuries.Then when I do go for the gold again..damper setting increased..I can get a much more effective row.I don't want to get mega meters and compromise my form and health benefits.That can and will happen if I don't pace myself.This challenge is a toughy.I also find that changing my hand position throughout the workouts has helped with soreness and that carple tunnel type tingle.I try to hold on lightly..grasping or gripping too hard will effect the blood pressure.So much to think about.I don't know if this is true of all other ducks but I am rowing many more meters and days than normal and my cross training is suffering a bit.So I have to interval train and perhaps sprint and do that type of thing to maximize my rows..sigh..LOL<br />Jen, I am also addicted to exercise and this challenges is an enabler.Good one though...LOL.<br /><br />Pat M.<br />

[old] tjod

Post by [old] tjod » January 6th, 2006, 1:35 pm

If I get bored or discouraged with my usual daily 4x15min, I'll "just row" or play some number tricks to keep me occupied. <br /><br />1. If using time (up or down) watch for 1:01, 2:02, 9:09, etc.) for meters, watch for 1111, 2222, or your birthdate or bank PIN # or whatever. <br /><br />2. Punch in a weird number of minutes or meters. Last night I rowed 3333 meters because I didn't want to do the 4th 15 minutes. It took 15 minutes, but it felt different. <br /><br />3. try to calculate your projected finish time or meters without showing it on the display (I use the large numbers display on the PM3). Doing long division on a mental blackboard makes me forget about watching the clock for a while... 'specially since I sometimes forget to carry the one... wait, that was a 3, right? <br /><br />tj<br />

[old] woolsmith

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 6th, 2006, 1:54 pm

Emilia and Pat! <br /><br />Fowl Play leaders of the pack, way to go, you two!<br /><br />I'm waddling off to hit the erg myself...quack...gotta find my water bottle.<br /><br />And mimitap, this stuff is contagious, hey? I think I might have a little fire lit under my spousal unit. I'm hoping he'll get some meters piled up with this challenge.<br /><br />--Jen in WI<br /><br />

[old] QWACKY

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 6th, 2006, 2:04 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-tjod+Jan 6 2006, 01:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(tjod @ Jan 6 2006, 01:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If I get bored or discouraged with my usual daily 4x15min, I'll "just row" or play some number tricks to keep me occupied. <br /><br />1. If using time (up or down) watch for 1:01, 2:02, 9:09, etc.) for meters, watch for 1111, 2222, or your birthdate or bank PIN # or whatever. <br /><br />2. Punch in a weird number of minutes or meters. Last night I rowed 3333 meters because I didn't want to do the 4th 15 minutes. It took 15 minutes, but it felt different. <br /><br />3. try to calculate your projected finish time or meters without showing it on the display (I use the large numbers display on the PM3). Doing long division on a mental blackboard makes me forget about watching the clock for a while... 'specially since I sometimes forget to carry the one... wait, that was a 3, right?  <br /><br />tj <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Great tips..gotta write these down in my log book.Thanx!!<br />I watch TV..and I have a VCR there too..so I watch a good movie to make the time go faster.My favs are the Walton reruns..I have seen them hundreds of times.A good show makes the meters pass.I also listen to music on a headset.It paces me and also makes the time go faster.I can't row to silence..but that is just me.<br /><br />Pat M<br /> <br />

[old] tbaugh

Post by [old] tbaugh » January 7th, 2006, 10:07 am

Saturday is finally here.<br />1st workout down +/- 10K for a total of 100K for the week. <br />2nd Workout complete 10K+ <br />I might try 3 workouts today.. we'll see.. <br />The "spousal unit" loves the towel pad for the keester.. <br />Thanks for the tip.<br />I know we have one of those egg crate pillows around here somewhere.<br />I'll try that when I find it.<br /><br /><span style='color:orange'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>GO FOWL PLAY >>>>---> </span></span>

[old] QWACKY

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 7th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Happy weekend fellow ducks!!!<br /><br />GO TEAM..!!!!<br /><br />One week is almost behind us..are ya feeling stronger?<br /><br />Pat M.<br /> <br /><br />

[old] tjod

Post by [old] tjod » January 7th, 2006, 7:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Jan 6 2006, 07:27 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Jan 6 2006, 07:27 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->...<br />Believe it or not, the bubblewrap doesn't pop that much!  I thought for sure it would, too, but it didn't, and it really does work well.  I used the small bubbles, not the big ones.  Not sure if one would be better than the other or not.  <br /><br />I got the foam seat pad from C2, and it's pretty good as well.  It costs more to ship it than what you pay for the pad itself, so I ordered mine when I got some other stuff to go with it.<br />...<br />--Jen in WI <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />FWIW, the rowing shorts from C2 (padded) do a nice job of making the seat more comfortable. Used in conjunction with the seat pad they seem to eliminate a lot of the sore spots.

[old] QWACKY

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 7th, 2006, 7:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-tjod+Jan 7 2006, 07:23 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(tjod @ Jan 7 2006, 07:23 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Jan 6 2006, 07:27 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Jan 6 2006, 07:27 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->...<br />Believe it or not, the bubblewrap doesn't pop that much!  I thought for sure it would, too, but it didn't, and it really does work well.  I used the small bubbles, not the big ones.  Not sure if one would be better than the other or not.  <br /><br />I got the foam seat pad from C2, and it's pretty good as well.  It costs more to ship it than what you pay for the pad itself, so I ordered mine when I got some other stuff to go with it.<br />...<br />--Jen in WI <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />FWIW, the rowing shorts from C2 (padded) do a nice job of making the seat more comfortable. Used in conjunction with the seat pad they seem to eliminate a lot of the sore spots. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Padded shorts..GREAT idea.I have padded biker shorts.I never even gave them a thought.<br />I will have to dig them out and try them .Thanx for sharing!!<br /><br /><br />Pat M<br /> <br />

[old] tbaugh

Post by [old] tbaugh » January 7th, 2006, 9:45 pm

3 times today...<br />once in the morning<br />once at the start of the 1st NFL game<br />once at the start of teh 2nd NFL game<br />Gotta do something to break the monotony<br />30K + is a good day for me.

[old] woolsmith

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 8th, 2006, 1:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-tbaugh+Jan 7 2006, 09:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(tbaugh @ Jan 7 2006, 09:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->3 times today...<br />once in the morning<br />once at the start of the 1st NFL game<br />once at the start of teh 2nd NFL game<br />Gotta do something to break the monotony<br />30K + is a good day for me. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Nice job, tbaugh! I do my longer rows watching a DVD, and I've done some split-up workouts like you did, too. In fact, I kind of like doing it that way--my tail feathers don't get so achey! <br /><br />Hmmm, padded rowing shorts? Methinks I like that concept, tjod! I guess I didn't figure they were padded. I've got a pair of padded biking shorts, but is the padding for those, um, strategically located for rowing?? I'll have to give 'em a whirl and see how they do.<br /><br />I got my goal of 50k in for the week, in spite of feeling a tad under the weather when the challenge started. I'm hoping to do better next week, but my minimum goal was to do the 50k weekly. Next week should be better--I don't have as many work hours unless I get called in.... Probably just jinxed myself!<br /><br />GO FOWL PLAY!! <br /><br />--Jen

[old] tbaugh

Post by [old] tbaugh » January 8th, 2006, 10:34 am

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Jan 8 2006, 12:14 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Jan 8 2006, 12:14 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I got my goal of 50k in for the week, in spite of feeling a tad under the weather when the challenge started.  I'm hoping to do better next week, but my minimum goal was to do the 50k weekly.  Next week should be better--I don't have as many work hours unless I get called in....  Probably just jinxed myself!<br /><br />GO FOWL PLAY!!  <br /><br />--Jen <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Good Job Jen.........<br />It's tough getting motivated when you're drained..<br />Congrats on motivating yourself.<br />Sometimes it actually feels good to break a sweat and get rid of some of those germs..<br />GO FOWL PLAY!! <br /><br />2 down today 20K I'm tired... I think a steak sounds good

[old] QWACKY

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 8th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Hello Fellow Ducks!!<br /><br />GO TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />I just hit my 3rd million meter mark today.Another landmark and a new one on the way.I am into my 4th now.<br /><br />Great job with all the meters rowed so far.What teamwork and spirit! Tom..your meters really added up this weekend.Lots of football to row to.Makes the time pass..doesn't it? I watch movies and TV ..it helps bunches..<br /><br />See ya !!<br /><br />Pat M<br /> <br />

[old] Tyn

Post by [old] Tyn » January 8th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Congrats Pat,<br /><br />GREAT hittin the 3MM,<br />And thanx for motivatin the lot of us<br /><br />Go for the 4MM<br /><br />Go Team!

[old] QWACKY

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 8th, 2006, 6:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Tyn+Jan 8 2006, 06:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Tyn @ Jan 8 2006, 06:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Congrats Pat,<br /><br />GREAT hittin the 3MM,<br />And thanx for motivatin the lot of us<br /><br />Go for the 4MM<br /><br />Go Team! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Thanks Tyn..<br />This challenge has been such a motivator for me and all my team mates are a motivating factor.To see ALL those meters adding up and to know that somewhere..someone is rowing just like ME..LOL.Alone in my gym..yet not alone.It is so great to have some company when many of my friends look at me like I am crazy when I talk about my rowing..LOL...<br /><br />Pat<br />