Fowl Play

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] QWACKY

First Virtual Team Challenge

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 4th, 2006, 11:30 pm

Great job fellow ducks!!!<br /><br />To see the meters just grow is amazing and awesome.Our teamwork is incredible.I love this challenge and gee..this is only the 4th day.My rower and I will become best of friends!!Remember to stretch a bit before the rows and alot after.Keep those muscles warm and pliable.Don't get stiff!! 'specially those hamstrings.Pad the seats..LOLOLOLOL..these long rows are hard on the tailfeathers.LOL.See ya all tomorrow for day 5.<br /><br />GO Team.<br />Hey, Jen..feel better..take care!!<br /><br />QWACKY(aka Pat from Naples,FL)<br /> <br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] woolsmith

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 4th, 2006, 11:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-QWACKY+Jan 4 2006, 11:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(QWACKY @ Jan 4 2006, 11:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Great job fellow ducks!!!<br /><br />To see the meters just grow is amazing and awesome.Our teamwork is incredible.I love this challenge and gee..this is only the 4th day.My rower and I will become best of friends!!Remember to stretch a bit before the rows and alot after.Keep those muscles warm and pliable.Don't get stiff!!  'specially those hamstrings.Pad the seats..LOLOLOLOL..these long rows are hard on the tailfeathers.LOL.See ya all tomorrow for day 5.<br /><br />GO Team.<br />Hey, Jen..feel better..take care!!<br /><br />QWACKY(aka Pat from Naples,FL)<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Your cheerleading worked, Qwacky! I managed to get a pokey 8313 in tonight. Pokey, but I did it. Sure hope I feel better tomorrow than I did today.<br /><br />--Jen<br /><br />P.S. I love that one team's name "Will Row for Beer (or Tequila)"

[old] QWACKY

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 5th, 2006, 12:47 am

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Jan 4 2006, 11:57 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Jan 4 2006, 11:57 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-QWACKY+Jan 4 2006, 11:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(QWACKY @ Jan 4 2006, 11:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Great job fellow ducks!!!<br /><br />To see the meters just grow is amazing and awesome.Our teamwork is incredible.I love this challenge and gee..this is only the 4th day.My rower and I will become best of friends!!Remember to stretch a bit before the rows and alot after.Keep those muscles warm and pliable.Don't get stiff!!   'specially those hamstrings.Pad the seats..LOLOLOLOL..these long rows are hard on the tailfeathers.LOL.See ya all tomorrow for day 5.<br /><br />GO Team.<br />Hey, Jen..feel better..take care!!<br /><br />QWACKY(aka Pat from Naples,FL)<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Your cheerleading worked, Qwacky! I managed to get a pokey 8313 in tonight. Pokey, but I did it. Sure hope I feel better tomorrow than I did today.<br /><br />--Jen<br /><br />P.S. I love that one team's name "Will Row for Beer (or Tequila)" <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />That is so great Jen.<br />8313 sure ain't pokey..every meter counts and every workout makes a difference.I'll row for a brewski any ol' day..LOLOLOL<br />get some rest and hope you are feelin' more chipper in the a.m.<br />Pat

[old] efg

Post by [old] efg » January 5th, 2006, 3:49 am

Hello Qwacky,<br /><br />Great rowing - keep it up! <br /><br />I've never rowed so much in 4 days before. I think the challenge has caused some sort of temporary insanity. I feel OK, though. Just a few calluses on my hands.<br /><br />I'm trying to make sure I don't overdo it, since I just started rowing again on Nov. 22. I'm going snowshoeing on Saturday, so maybe no rowing.<br /><br />How do you choose your damper setting? I don't know much (anything) about what settings are optimal. I've just tried to find which feel most comfortable. My husband just got a heart rate monitor, so I used one for the first time today. I was at the higher end of my "target" range, and it was a typical session for me interms of meters and time, so I figured it was an 'effective' workout. <br /><br />Thanks for all the suggestions and advice you've been posting. I don't always remember to stretch, but I'll try to now.<br /><br />Emilia<br />GO FOWL PLAY!

[old] efg

Post by [old] efg » January 5th, 2006, 4:21 am

Hi Jen,<br /><br />8K+ is great - just don't overdo it if you're not feeling well. Even if you didn't row a meter you'd be an asset to the team with all your team spirit and motivating posts. <br /><br />Fowl Play is such an awesome team - I never thought we'd get so many people rowing in this challenge.<br /><br />Emilia<br />

[old] efg

Post by [old] efg » January 5th, 2006, 4:28 am

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>FOWL PLAY CHALLENGE FOR JANUARY 5</span></span><br /><br />Row for an extra 5 minutes today. <br /><br /><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>FOWLER CHALLENGE</span></span><br /><br /><span style='color:blue'>Row an extra 5K today </span><br /><br /><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>THE SMALL PRINT<br /><br />Please don't feel pressured by these mini-challenges - row at the level you are comfortable with - all your meters help!<br /><br />But IF you want some more motivation - try these. If I propose the challenge, I'll do my best to actually DO it - so join me if you want to!</span><br /><br /><span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Great Rowing Everyone!</span><br /><br />Emilia</span>

[old] tbaugh

Post by [old] tbaugh » January 5th, 2006, 9:31 am

<!--QuoteBegin-QWACKY+Jan 4 2006, 10:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(QWACKY @ Jan 4 2006, 10:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->.........Pad the seats..LOLOLOLOL..these long rows are hard on the tailfeathers.LOL.See ya all tomorrow for day 5.........<br />QWACKY(aka Pat from Naples,FL)<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Are you serious about this one? I never thought about padding..<br />That would have been nice after about 15K<br /><br />Tom

[old] QWACKY

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 5th, 2006, 10:24 am

Hi Tom..<br />Yep..totally serious.The padding helps! I got one from Concept2.It is not what I would call the softest but I have even seen covers for the seats made of a lambs wool type fabric.Even a towel helps in a pinch (oops..no pun intended)..LOLOL.<br />Have a GREAT day and enjoy the row!!<br /><br />GO TEAM!!!!!!!<br /> <br />Pat M.

[old] QWACKY

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 5th, 2006, 10:31 am

<!--QuoteBegin-efg+Jan 5 2006, 03:49 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(efg @ Jan 5 2006, 03:49 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello Qwacky,<br /><br />Great rowing - keep it up! <br /><br />I've never rowed so much in 4 days before.  I think the challenge has caused some sort of temporary insanity.  I feel OK, though.  Just a few calluses on my hands.<br /><br />I'm trying to make sure I don't overdo it, since I just started rowing again on Nov. 22.  I'm going snowshoeing on Saturday, so maybe no rowing.<br /><br />How do you choose your damper setting?  I don't know much (anything) about what settings are optimal.  I've just tried to find which feel most comfortable.  My husband just got a heart rate monitor, so I used one for the first time today.  I was at the higher end of my "target" range, and it was a typical session for me interms of meters and time, so I figured it was an 'effective' workout.  <br /><br />Thanks for all the suggestions and advice you've been posting. I don't always remember to stretch, but I'll try to now.<br /><br />Emilia<br />GO FOWL PLAY! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Hi Emilia!!<br />Happy Day 5..!!<br />I choose my damper settings as to how I want to row..aerobically or more for the strength training effect.And by how I feel .On the higher settings it takes alot more of my energy but at the lowest end..it just isn't hard enough.I know that there are better explanations and more technical reasons for the settings..but I also go with my heart rate.I find that for me..the 4 to 5 setting is a good effective workout.It is highly individual I think.<br />I have become a row-maniac and I need to pace myself..LOL.<br />No snow here..just white sands and lots of sunshine.<br />Have a GREAT day and happy rowing.<br />GO TEAM!!!!!!!<br /><br />Pat M.<br />

[old] efg

Post by [old] efg » January 5th, 2006, 1:57 pm

Hi Tom,<br /><br />I use about 3 sheets of bubble wrap (actually one long piece folded twice to create 3 layers). I used to have a nice piece of egg-crate type foam padding, but it got lost when we moved. I wouldn't dream of sitting down to row without padding!<br /><br />Emilia

[old] efg

Post by [old] efg » January 5th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Hi Pat,<br /><br />Sounds like I'm on the right track with the damper settings then. Too low, and it doesn't feel like enough of an effort unless I go at a faster spm than I like (I like to be at 25-26, it seems), too high and my bad knee starts to complain. I guess as I get used to the heart rate monitor, I'll be able to use it more for guidance.<br /><br />Warm sand and sun sounds good, but after almost 2 decades of New England winters, I guess I really can't complain about our current very wet, but 50 degree weather this morning in Washington.<br /><br />Emilia

[old] QWACKY

Post by [old] QWACKY » January 6th, 2006, 10:06 am

DAY 6.....<br />Happy rowing fellow Ducks..!!<br />Great work and such admirable teamwork and spirit.<br />Jen..hope you are feeling much better.<br />Tom..take care of those hamstrings.I loved the seat pad suggestion of Captain Emilia..bubble wrap.What a great way to pad the seat.I will try that myself!!Even my pad is becoming not so soft..LOL.Too much time in one place I guess..LOL.<br />My tip for today due to my own experience yesterday..don't try to row without eating..NO ENERGY. I do a very lo carb way of eating and I didn't eat breakfast first..OOPS..wrong to do ( for me).So I think we need to keep our bodies fueled to stay strong and in tip top rowing condition.Well I am off to row..row I go!!<br />Have a GREAT day<br />GO TEAM!!!!!<br /><br />Pat M.<br /> <br />

[old] tbaugh

Post by [old] tbaugh » January 6th, 2006, 10:31 am

I used a folded towel yesterday for a seat cushion.. it was OK.. changed the angle of the pull a little which was actually good considering my fatigue from the prior day. I don't think the bubble wrap would withstand my weight at this point. It would be like a shortened version of a fireworks exposition without the visuals. Today is Friday (last day of the work week) and I'm looking forward to the weekend when I can do double workouts. I will continue to experiment with padding. Jeannie (my "SPOUSAL UNIT") is enjoying the Camaraderie as well. I would like to hear from many of the undercover ducks as well.. if you're reading this stuff.. chime in and share your experieneces. Good, bad and ugly.<br /><br />GO FOWL PLAY >>>>----> TOM

[old] woolsmith

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 6th, 2006, 11:27 am

Hey Tom!<br /><br />Believe it or not, the bubblewrap doesn't pop that much! I thought for sure it would, too, but it didn't, and it really does work well. I used the small bubbles, not the big ones. Not sure if one would be better than the other or not. <br /><br />I got the foam seat pad from C2, and it's pretty good as well. It costs more to ship it than what you pay for the pad itself, so I ordered mine when I got some other stuff to go with it.<br /><br />My "spousal unit" sprouted feathers and rowed yesterday, yay!!! Only about the equivalent of from here to the corner, but hey, he rowed! I got him his own little logcard, logbook, and everything. <br /><br />And I'm feeling much better, thanks Qwacky! I only got a short row in yesterday a.m. before going to work, but usually I don't get anything done on my long clinic days. I'm hoping to do a good, long row today. I think I'm addicted to exercise (could be worse things!), and if I miss too much, I turn into one ornery duck!<br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] kinley

Post by [old] kinley » January 6th, 2006, 11:27 am

The Model B, and back before my time, the Model A, had seats resembling the seats in shells. But apparently non-rowers found them uncomfortable, and for the Model C Concept2 switched to a large flat sitting surface. Angling for the health club market, I guess.<br /><br />I hated the new seat, which seemed to me like sitting on a plank. As I recall, there was an article in Ergo Update, as the newsletter was then called, acknowledging that many on-the-water rowers didn't care for the change.<br /><br />SO, I wrote C2 a letter suggesting the obvious, that they offer a CHOICE of seats. In response, C2 sent me a seat pad. Which, to be fair, helped a lot.<br /><br />BUT ---- are you listening lurking administrators ---- I don't understand why the company still takes a one-size-fits-all to the point of contact between the machine and its user. Lets have some options other than bubble wrap versus folded towels!<br /><br /> >>>------> Kinley