Beginner Question

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] logun_999

Training

Post by [old] logun_999 » July 2nd, 2004, 8:48 am

Ok first things first i;m a bit new to rowing and hence don't know all the lingo so please bear with me.<br>My question is.....<br>you know how people keep stating their time for certain distances (eg. 2k at 6:30) if they row these on a concept 2 wot difficulty/resistence level (i mean wot number does the adjustable stick on the side point to) are they rowing at?<br><br>Akso which resistence level most accurately replicates rowing on water?<br><br>Thanks for any help....

[old] Barry Delaney

Training

Post by [old] Barry Delaney » July 2nd, 2004, 9:32 am

Can't go wrong starting at 3 or 4. These numbers are probably the closest to actual sculling (so I'm told) and starting here will be easier on your lower back. There is a lot of available info on this subject. Start with the FAQ section of this website, and there is also downloadable training manuel on the UK site. Personal preference really, kind of like gears on a bike. Press rest and ok on your monitor to get a more specific drag reading. Row a few strokes and a number will appear. Machine is isokinetic and will work as hard as you want it to, but around 125 is a good place to start relative to drag. Good luck.

[old] tomhz

Training

Post by [old] tomhz » July 2nd, 2004, 9:34 am

Logun,<br><br>A certain time on 2K (e.g. 6:30) corresponds to a certain power (in Watts) that you applied during that 2K. Your PM2 /3 measures power (watt) by measuring acceleration and deceleration of the flywheel. It hereby calculates the drag factor of the flywheel (this factor depends on the lever setting). So the power is measure is INDEPENDANT of the drag factor. 6:30 with the lever way up requires the same power as 6:30 with the lever way down.<br>The Pm2 calculates the measured power back to a virtual time on 2K.<br><br>The drag factor you choose is a personal preference. Most experienced ergers use drag factor between 110 and 140.<br>You can find out the drag factor for you machine on a PM2by pushing READY and REST simultaneously. The drag factor appears in the right down corner of the screen.<br><br>Tom