People!

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] MTS

Training

Post by [old] MTS » June 15th, 2004, 3:14 pm

Hi everyone!<br><br>I know virtually nothing about this sport but use a rowing machine at my gym for cardio occasionally. I did 1000M in 3:11 and wondered how that stacked up to other "rowers", so I got online found this web site and realized its not a bad time! Now I'm kind of fired up to train but don't know anyone or anything except what I've read the last 5 minutes. Living in Michigan, in the Detroit area.<br><br>Any help would be great!<br><br>Thanks,<br>Marc

[old] PaulH

Training

Post by [old] PaulH » June 15th, 2004, 3:56 pm

Marc,<br><br>You can request a free training video from Concept2 at their website that will show you the correct technique to use. Then hop over to the Concept2 uk site and download their training guide; even if you don't follow one of the programs, it's still a useful resource. And then of course ask any questions you want on the board!<br><br>Cheers, Paul

[old] MKC

Training

Post by [old] MKC » June 16th, 2004, 12:25 pm

Hi there,<br> Relatively new also so I was glad for the post about training programs on the UK site...<br>Thanks,<br>MKC<br><br>

[old] MTS

Training

Post by [old] MTS » June 17th, 2004, 7:50 am

Thanks for the input guys,<br><br>I did my first 2000's last night, and just sort of paced myself to run @7:00. I did one with the lever at 5 and one at 10 as I usually just keep it on 10. Just going to do 3-4 1000's and 2000's per week over the summer and then start training in the fall. <br><br>Can you adjust the lever during a race? Seems like breaking 3:00 in the 1000 would be possible for me with some training but I don't know about coming close to 6:00 in the 2000! <br><br>This is pretty cool for a sport you just sit in one place.<br><br>MTS

[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » June 17th, 2004, 5:08 pm

Yeah, it's great when you don't have to run around.<br><br>No you can't change the drag setting during a race. You can use whatever drag you want, but can't change it once you've started.<br><br>What are your stat's , age, weight , height etc ?

[old] Coach Gus

Training

Post by [old] Coach Gus » June 17th, 2004, 6:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Rocket Roy+Jun 17 2004, 01:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Rocket Roy @ Jun 17 2004, 01:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yeah, it's great when you don't have to run around.<br><br> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Some of us like to run around and that gets us in trouble. <br><br>Actually the worst part of erging is you go nowhere.

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » June 17th, 2004, 7:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Coach Gus+Jun 18 2004, 10:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Coach Gus @ Jun 18 2004, 10:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Actually the worst part of erging is you go nowhere.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Hey thats not bad .... you can get done over in a race and the guy that beat you is still within handshake distance (thats if he hasn't already unstrapped and gone and ordered a beer)

[old] MTS

Training

Post by [old] MTS » June 18th, 2004, 8:12 am

Well guys,<br><br>I'm around 190 lbs, 6'3", 32 yrs. Played basketball, baseball in college, but then in '96 I bought a mountain bike. I started out racing xc but within a few years changed over to downhill and BMX. (More power & skill oriented.) So basically for the last 6 years I've been riding and training for cycling events that last between 30 seconds and 5 minutes.<br><br>I'm pretty pumped to start some training but the next day after my 2 2000's I went to the track and my upper body was sort of rubbery. So I don't know how much I'll do in the summer. I was thinking maybe starting with some easy distance work on off days to develop some form and to get used to the seat.<br><br>thanks for the replys!<br>MTS<br><br>

[old] mikey

Training

Post by [old] mikey » June 22nd, 2004, 5:07 am

Hey fellas, another newbie here.<br><br>Just wondering about the racing and drag settings. If you lower the drag setting doesn't that make it easier ?

[old] SteveJohnson314

Training

Post by [old] SteveJohnson314 » June 22nd, 2004, 10:31 am

<!--QuoteBegin-mikey+Jun 22 2004, 01:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (mikey @ Jun 22 2004, 01:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey fellas, another newbie here.<br><br>Just wondering about the racing and drag settings. If you lower the drag setting doesn't that make it easier ?<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Well, it does and it doesn't. The C2 actually measures the work you're doing and uses that to back into the pace and distance. Changing the drag makes it harder or easier to pull the handle through the stroke, but the work per stroke should stay the same. Lower drag means less force and a quicker pull, but the computed work doesn't change since work = force x velocity.<br><br>On the other hand, you will feel more comfortable at a particular drag setting since the human body isn't an ideal machine and will get better results at an optimal setting. Think about pushing a small car vs. pushing a large truck. You can generate the same power w/ either one, but the small car would probably feel easier and you could do it for a longer time.<br>

[old] tomhz

Training

Post by [old] tomhz » June 22nd, 2004, 4:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-SteveJohnson314+Jun 22 2004, 02:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (SteveJohnson314 @ Jun 22 2004, 02:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Think about pushing a small car vs. pushing a large truck. You can generate the same power w/ either one, but the small car would probably feel easier and you could do it for a longer time.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Not quite true:<br><br>when pushing a small car, you need to let it roll faster to generate the same power. I doubt if that would feel easier or that you could do it for a longer time. <br><br>I like to think of it this way:<br><br>There is an optimum drag factor for everyone but this depends:<br>1) (somewhat) on your build. Strong, muscular people on average tend to use higher drags.<br>2) (a lot) on your erging technique. It requires very good technique to generate much power with moderate (say, 120-150) drag factor, and when your technique is perfect, you can probably benefit by using moderate drag factors.<br><br>Tom