N.a.t.e. (it's Not About The Erg) Team

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] mmracing

First Virtual Team Challenge

Post by [old] mmracing » January 4th, 2006, 9:20 pm

I'll go try it at 5 for 5K and see what my times come out to.

[old] wellborn

Post by [old] wellborn » January 5th, 2006, 4:30 am

Came home from work in a bad space mentally tonight. To get my mind off it, I took the TV out to the garage and rowed through the entire 2nd half of the Rose Bowl. <br /><br />Two firsts for me in that: I have never worked out while watching TV before; and I did my longest work-out ever (22K in about 1:40:00). I could never have rowed that long without the distraction of the TV at the same time, but it was really not too bad until the last 15 minutes or so. I rowed right up to the final second of the game. And I wasn't even crushed by USC's last second loss to Texas (which would have devastated me probably, if I had watched from my usual location on the living room couch). <br /><br />I felt pretty good afterwards, but I'm curious how I'll feel tomorrow morning.

[old] grams

Post by [old] grams » January 5th, 2006, 8:05 pm

Hoo!! I'm impressed wellborn and crane. You guys are flying. I would have been too, with that football game.<br /><br />New pb for me and another over 900 (barely) on the Nonathlon. 1000m - time of 4:22.4. Now to knock off the last 4 events - I have nearly a month to do it. If I manage to reach 900 in all of the events before Feb 1, then I will try to get to 925. That will be tough.<br /><br />For you folks who don't know about Nonathlon, go to www.nonathlon.com and check it out. Its fun because there are so many goals to shoot for and the scores are computed based on historical data for your particular age and weight and sex. No 10 year categories. If you do register remember it is based on your age as of May 1, not how old you are now.<br /><br />grams

[old] oakydaisy

Post by [old] oakydaisy » January 5th, 2006, 8:52 pm

hey everyone! have been rowing - a little - but haven't had time to post. glad to see we are all enthused! been wondering about Erika - any word? <br /><br />i row with the damper on 2, since that's what the company recommended to start with. i still worry about my form, so i'm changing anything until i'm very sure that i won't hurt myself... <br /><br />i'm not pulling down any great numbers for the team, but i'm just glad that i'm participating daily instead of sitting on the couch with my cat and a book. <br /><br />take care!<br />oakydaisy

[old] jschuman

Post by [old] jschuman » January 5th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Hi All,<br />Just rowed around 5000m and I attempted to row a little bit strapless as I had read on this forum that that was a good way to improve your form (remember, I've only been rowing for around a month and a half).<br /><br />Well, it was kind of, um, weird, rowing strapless and I wanted to see if any of you had any thoughts on my experience. Basically, I felt that my feet were "lifting" off the footrest at the finish (or what the heck do you call the place where you rest your feet??) In addition, I didn't feel like I was getting as much power from my legs during the drive - but I think that is to be expected.<br /><br />Anyway, it was a fun experiment. Anyone care to analyze what I might be doing wrong? Thanks!<br /><br />Jeff

[old] mmracing

Post by [old] mmracing » January 5th, 2006, 9:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-wellborn+Jan 5 2006, 04:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(wellborn @ Jan 5 2006, 04:30 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->(22K in about 1:40:00 </td></tr></table><br /><br />Nice distance. I've never rowed that long before. I'm happy to get through 5K and when I do 10K I figure I'm really working it. <br /><br />I'll try for 10K tonight and see how I feel<br /><br />Way to go <br />

[old] mmracing

Post by [old] mmracing » January 5th, 2006, 10:01 pm

I tried the 5 damper setting last night and my times were about the same, but I didn't feel like I worked out.<br /><br />I'm going to go back to 10, it just feels like I'm strengthening my muscles as well and leaning them out.<br /><br />Of course, I'm just getting back into this rowing and two days in a row may have impacted my times. I'll try for 5K tonight at 10 and see if I can break the 25 minute barrier for me. 6 months ago I was 23.5 minutes, so I know I can do it.

[old] cwcesario

Post by [old] cwcesario » January 5th, 2006, 10:59 pm

It's great to hear that everyone is rowing (no matter the distance, and the cat can wait (oakydaisy)! - I often have a 'watch cat' when I row). I especially like hearing how you are challenging yourself - that's what motivates me most, to try reach my own goals. Nice to have comparisons, tho, but it's kind of worthless to compete with one another when we're all so different. <br />Although I have rowed a little in the past (only indoor), I just started in the end of Nov 2005. I'm finding that once I get past 20 minutes I'm game to keep going. Went to a funeral on Monday, skipped the row. Felt like making up for it on Tuesday (snow day) and rowed 20K! I'm not convinced of anything because I'm a novice, but it seems like at age 47 distance is working better, the sprinter I was as a kid (competitive swimming) has aged out. I'm still stunned at the thought of those guys doing sub-7 2Ks! ...but one can dream, right?<br />grams, thanks so much for the nonathlon info, you answered the question I was thinking to ask!<br />Hey Todd, I talked with C2 people a while ago about damper settings, they said 10 is like rowing a really heavy older model boat. I haven't been on the water so it doesn't mean a lot to me, but got me thinking. I thought about increasing my pace, response time basically, to keep it spinning. Like bike racing, high RPM is the goal. You might also want to check that men's health article, and try combining some lifting. I've lifted for years and find that it's a good combination. Don't need to do a lot, but you'll get the muscle feeling you describe, and can balance out your chest too (one area the erg misses). Keep us posted, ok?<br /><br />take care, especially if you are driving north in New England tomorrow!<br />Crane

[old] grams

Post by [old] grams » January 6th, 2006, 12:52 am

Technique:<br />Rowing strapless prevents you from using the straps to stop yourself and pull yourself forward. Instead you have to reverse direction more smoothly. Extend you arms first, and then use your abs and back to rotate your torso forward as you come forward to complete the catch. The result is a lovely flowing motion, not a 'clean & jerk'. <br /><br />Strapless means fewer strokes per minute too. In my case I use my legs and abs more and my shoulders less. I don't hunch over and rush my stroke either. My strokes may be fewer but they are more powerful, and my times are faster than if I 'hunch & rush'. <br /><br />When I am going for a new fast time I do use straps and also up the drag factor from 105 to 110. That's low for you guys because you are used to muscling your way through. Do me a favor and try 2000meters strapless, 10 meters/stroke (watch the meter and do your catch every 10), on drag factor 125. Go for a smooth stroke and recovery with no pauses. Apply as much power with your legs during the stroke as you can, but smoothly. Don't rush the recovery. Any stroke rate is fine as long as you do the other stuff.<br /><br />Let me know what happens to your 500m split time as compared to it using damper factor 10.<br /><br />Oakydaisy; check your drag factor on your meter and let us know what it is. Coach Paul says he likes to see 100-105 but most guys don't like it because it feels too easy. I agree however I find that if I do long workouts with a low drag factor my fast times on a slightly higher setting seem easy. (sort of)<br /><br />That's the end of my little old lady advice. I have to do the form stuff; I'm too short and puny to rely on strength alone. <br /><br />regards, grams<br /><br />music today: Kraftwerk and then E Power Biggs (synthesizer) finishing with The Eagles Hotel California

[old] voodoogirl

Post by [old] voodoogirl » January 6th, 2006, 9:17 am

This was really helpful--I'm really new at rowing and also cannot rely on muscling my way through but have tried to focus on technique--watched the C2 DVD with the australian olympic guys and tried their idea of rowing barefoot--now that the blisters are healed (!!) I worry that my little graph doesn't look like their little graph--tomorrow I'm going to put all that out of my mind and focus on trying this. Best description I've read of what it should feel like--thanks!<br /><br />Laurie<br /><br />Mt. Rainier, Md

[old] erikajas

Post by [old] erikajas » January 6th, 2006, 5:11 pm

Hi y'all,<br /><br />I just want to thank all of you for all the kind thoughts, good wishes and prayers. We got my dad home from the hospital today, and he's doing alright. Unfortunately, the tumor was far more advanced than expected so the prognosis is somewhat worse. But for now, at least, he's recovering quickly and still has a good sense of humor. <br /><br />So what do I learn from this? My dad has never taken care of his health despite his family and doctors telling him to quit smoking, drinking, eating fatty foods, exercise, etc. I fully recognize that we will all die of something eventually, I deal with this everyday. Some argue that you can't outrun your genes. I actually agree. BUT, you can maximize your life by eating well, exercising regularly, not smoking, drinking only in moderation, you know the rest. So keep rowing, think twice about what you're eating, and for goodness sake don't smoke. <br /><br />Alas, enough preaching from she who needs to listen to her own advice. I can't wait to get back on my erg. You have all been wonderful. Thanks so much for the support. <br /><br />Row on,<br />Erika<br />

[old] mmracing

Post by [old] mmracing » January 7th, 2006, 6:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-cwcesario+Jan 5 2006, 10:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(cwcesario @ Jan 5 2006, 10:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey Todd, I talked with C2 people a while ago about damper settings, they said 10 is like rowing a really heavy older model boat.  I haven't been on the water so it doesn't mean a lot to me, but got me thinking.  I thought about increasing my pace, response time basically, to keep it spinning.  Like bike racing, high RPM is the goal.  You might also want to check that men's health article, and try combining some lifting. I've lifted for years and find that it's a good combination. Don't need to do a lot, but you'll get the muscle feeling you describe, and can balance out your chest too (one area the erg misses). Keep us posted, ok?<br /><br />take care, especially if you are driving north in New England tomorrow!<br />Crane <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I did three days in a row level 10, level 5, then back to level 10. I put my heart meter on the last night and on the final 200m of 5K my alarm was going off at 195bps. Now, when I used to run, I was always up at that rate, but now that I'm getting older my doctor has asked me to set my warning to 190. <br /><br />Rowing is one of the few workouts that seems low impact and gives me a good heart rate.<br /><br />My hands blistered up, so I should get soem better gloves and rest them for a couple of days.<br /><br />I'll be back rowing tomorrow, though.

[old] wellborn

Post by [old] wellborn » January 8th, 2006, 2:34 am

Hey there, fellow NATERS:<br /><br />Just thought I would share that I went over the 2,000,000M mark today for lifetime meters. I've been using my C2 since 10/04. The first million was last April. I would have gotten to this point sooner, but I really lost motivation and momentum from August through November last fall. The Holiday Challenge got me back on the slide consistently. <br /><br />And the January Challenge is keeping me there. Glad to see our team accumulating meters every day. It's really a help during those times when I'd rather couch-out than work-out.<br /><br />Crane, I checked out Enter the Haggis. I like the sound. I downloaded 5 sample songs to my iTunes, and I think I will buy one of their CD's some day soon. Thanks for the recommendation.<br /><br />Erika, It's nice to see you back. Sorry to hear that news from your father's surgery was not more encouraging. I will keep you all in my prayers. Looking forward to seeing your meters join the rest of us on the Challenge Board.<br /><br />Gene

[old] cwcesario

Post by [old] cwcesario » January 8th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Hey Gene<br />CONGRATULATIONS!<br />It's so awesome you broke the 2million mark! Sounds like summer and early fall is difficult for a lot of people. Glad you're back. <br />The HC is what motivated me to start for real, after rowing a few handful of times before. It is very motivating to have you and others to work with on this challenge. I'm trying to make my first million before I turn 48 this summer, and this team is really helping. Hoping to be 1/3rd of the way there this week!<br /><br />Glad to hear that you enjoyed Enter the Haggis. I was tickled by the fact that our 10 yr old daughter and her friends told us about them...we ended up going with them to their concert, first ever concert for the girls, in a great small venue here in western Mass. <br /><br />Here's a question: for those of you who have rowed while viewing, how is the noise level? Before I move the erg, can you tell me if my husband is correct in thinking it'll be too loud for us to watch NFL playoffs together? (Not a critical problem, really!). <br />thanks<br />Crane<br /><br />

[old] mmracing

Post by [old] mmracing » January 8th, 2006, 3:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-cwcesario+Jan 8 2006, 03:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(cwcesario @ Jan 8 2006, 03:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Here's a question: for those of you who have rowed while viewing, how is the noise level? Before I move the erg, can you tell me if my husband is correct in thinking it'll be too loud for us to watch NFL playoffs together? (Not a critical problem, really!).  <br />thanks<br />Crane <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I row while watching movies and I have to crank the volume on the TV up. I'm right in front of the TV, though and I have surround sound.<br /><br />I usually listen on 28 volumn (what that equates to I don't have a clue, just the settting my surround sound uses) I turn it up to 34 when rowing. <br /><br />Football doesn't have to go as loud and you can put on the closed caption to read the words if you need help.<br /><br />I'm going for 10K tonight.<br /><br />Question: what kind of gloves do you all wear? I'm using generic weight lifting gloves, but the padding may be causing blisters on my palm. Any suggestions?