Heart Rate Monitors

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 27th, 2004, 2:03 pm

I use my heart rate monitor based on heart rate reserve, the percentage of difference between maximum and minimum heart rates.<br><br>For example:<br><br>50% HRR = [ .50 x [ 174 - 43 ] + 43 ] = 108<br><br>85% HRR = [ .85 x [ 174 - 43 ] + 43 ] = 154<br><br>How do you use your heart rate monitor?

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 27th, 2004, 2:10 pm

What kind of heart rate monitor do you use?<br><br>I have the Nashbar HRM, which might have been their first monitor. I've had it for 10 or 12 years, have changed the batteries a number of times and it works very well.<br><br>I previously had a Polar monitor, where the batteries were not replaceable.<br><br>I think different monitors are interchangeable for use on the C2, but I just tape the wrist receiver around and above the middle of the handle. It is very easy to see and use this way.

[old] johnmmerritt

Training

Post by [old] johnmmerritt » May 27th, 2004, 2:20 pm

I train mostly with my heart rate monitor. I work off of a percentage which my Polar calculates for me. On days where I am training for a higher heart rate I will work in the 85-90% zone, hitting 100% at times. I find that I usually like to do speed work in a very unstructured Fartleck way. (Probably why my 2K times are not so impressive.)<br><br>On long steady pieces I stay at 76%, which for me is around the 2:09/500 mark. (This is the level I recently rowed my 50K piece at.)<br><br>I have no idea whether this is good or bad, but I have a WR in my garage and a C2 I use at the gym. Using HR helps me to bridge the differences in monitors and equipment.<br><br>JM

[old] ergeek

Training

Post by [old] ergeek » May 27th, 2004, 8:12 pm

Hi John,<br><br>Like you, I train with a monitor, but I have changed how I use it. At first, I trained in heart rate "bands" pretty rigidly, and would adjust pace to keep my heart rate within the desired band. I have changed that and now train for pace. In any case, I think the only really proper way to calculate % HR is to use the method you describe. It's always amazed me that so many training guides promote the simple percentage of max. I think the only reason is that so many people are arithmetically challenged. Take care. <br><br>Hans

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 27th, 2004, 8:57 pm

Hello Hans,<br><br>Most of my heart rate training was a couple of years ago. I got so used to the monitor and what the heart rates were that I didn't need it anymore.<br><br>Since then I've been rowing by pace, based on what the heart rates were before.<br><br>However, that was a long time ago, and the rates have probably changed, so I'm interested to use the monitor again and find out what the ranges are now.<br><br>I am looking forward to doing this.<br><br>

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 27th, 2004, 9:25 pm

At the moment, however, the monitor strap has been misplaced. <br><br>I'm hoping to find it, or else will order another one. <br><br>Anyone have an idea about how to get the monitor to work in the meantime?

[old] Rogus

Training

Post by [old] Rogus » May 27th, 2004, 10:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+May 27 2004, 05:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (John Rupp @ May 27 2004, 05:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Anyone have an idea about how to get the monitor to work in the meantime? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Duct tape!

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 27th, 2004, 11:21 pm

I tried duct taking it to my chest but it wouldn't stay put. <br><br>Next I'm going to try putting elastic between tape, at the ends of the monitor, and see if that works.

[old] rlbusby

Training

Post by [old] rlbusby » May 28th, 2004, 9:48 am

John (or anyone):<br><br> What technique do you use to calculate your maximum heart rate? Do you row all out for 1 minute, 2 minutes, or until you collapse--then record your maximum heart rate? Obviously you don't use the "220 less age" quick and dirty estimate. <br><br> Resting heart rate is easier to calculate, so I have no problem there.<br><br>Rod<br>

[old] eurofoot13

Training

Post by [old] eurofoot13 » May 28th, 2004, 11:06 am

I continually calculate my max HR, as it will change over the course of your career as a rower. I usually reach max by the end of a 500m piece, or in the last 500 of a 2k. <br><br>I then take those results and look at the last few times I calculated HRmax. I don't really average them, but more approximate. for example, if I get a max of 199 as compared with previous maxes of 204 ( on a hot day), 201, 197, and 198, I would say my max HR is around 198 - 200. I, for the sake of math, would then probably call it the more convenient value for calculation HRreserve.

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 28th, 2004, 2:42 pm

Rod,<br><br>Usually going hard over the last 2:00, or so, of a time trial, 2k through half marathon. At first the highest was 169, compared to 174 running. As my fitness improved it now gets up to the same 174 on the erg.<br><br>Interestingly, in a 10 mile race my heart rate was at max 174 the entire last mile, and in the last 1:00 sprint it went down to 173.

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 28th, 2004, 3:00 pm

This morning I taped elastic to the transmitter band, then found the old strap in a drawer. It turns out the elastic works just as well or better though. I did 3x 7k, checking my heart rate on the last one, after a break to hook up the monitor.<br><br>2:20 pace, 96 df, ~ 8.5 mps, ~ 66 degrees.<br><br>1:00 . . . . . . . 103/104<br>2:00 . . . . . . . 107/108<br>3 - 20:00 . . . 103/105 . . . mostly 103's<br>20 - 30:00 . . . 103/107 . . mostly 105's<br><br>I'm happy with this as it's below 50% (108.5). I used to row 2:30 pace at 105-112. Also I hardly drank any water this morning, which would likely have kept it lower. I will do that next time.<br><br>I'm looking forward to doing some faster rowing tomorrow, and to finding out what the rates will be.

[old] Miker

Training

Post by [old] Miker » May 28th, 2004, 8:05 pm

I have found a website that provides a little more insight into determining MHR.<br><br><a href='http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/maxhr.htm' target='_blank'>Max Heart Rate</a><br><br>Calculation of Maximum Heart Rate<br><br>The easiest and best known method to calculate your maximum heart rate (MHR) is to use the formula 220-age. A paper by Londeree and Moeschberger from the University of Missouri-Columbia indicates that the MHR varies mostly with age, but the relationship is not a linear one. They suggest an alternative formula of 206.3 - (0.711 * age). Similarly, Miller et al from Indiana University propose the formula 217- (0.85 * age) as a suitable formula to calculate MHR.<br><br>Londeree and Moeschberger also looked at other variables to see if they had any effect on the MHR. They found that neither sex or race make any difference but they did find that the MHR was effected by the activity and levels of fitness.<br><br>Studies have shown that MHR on a treadmill is consistently 5-6 beats higher than on a bicycle ergometer and 2-3 beats higher on a rowing ergometer. Heart rates while swimming are significantly lower, around 14 bpm, than for treadmill running. Elite endurance athletes and moderately trained individuals will have a MHR 3 or 4 beats slower than a sedentary individual. It was also found that well trained over 50s are likely to have a higher MHR than that which is average for their age.<br><br>To determine your maximum heart rate you could use the following which combines the Miller formula with the research from Londeree and Moeschberger.<br><br> * Use the Miller formula of MHR = 217 - (0.85 * age) to calculate MHR<br> * Use this MHR value for running training<br> * Subtract 3 beats for rowing training<br> * Subtract 5 beats for bicycle training<br> * Subtract 3 beats for elite athletes under 30<br> * Add 2 beats for 50 year old elite athletes<br> * Add 4 beats for 55+ year old elite athletes<br>

[old] DavidL/SlugButt

Training

Post by [old] DavidL/SlugButt » May 28th, 2004, 9:15 pm

Thanks for your excellent post on Max HR, Miker. I've been trying to learn how to train again after a 15 year +/- period of only rowing occasionally, and have been concerned about how low my Max HR has been. However, it looks like it might be relatively consistent with the formulae you listed. It's just a bummer getting old!<br><br>David

[old] Rogus

Training

Post by [old] Rogus » May 29th, 2004, 1:28 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+May 27 2004, 10:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (John Rupp @ May 27 2004, 10:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I previously had a Polar monitor, where the batteries were not replaceable.<br><br>I think different monitors are interchangeable for use on the C2 <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> John,<br><br>Just a couple of clarifications to your comments.<br><br>To use the HR monitoring funciton on the C2 all you need is a chest strap. You don't need a HR monitor/watch. From posts from the old US forum, chest straps from some brands can be used, but not all. Wish I could remember which ones. <br><br>Polar HR chest strap batteries are replaceable. Unfortunately, they have to be sent back to Polar to do so. I've had my Polar chest strap and HR watch/monitor for over 3 years and haven't replaced batteries in either. Used it a fair amount when running for the first year. Then it sat in the drawer for way too long until I started using the chest strap for my erg sessions in Feb this year. Use it for all erg workouts.