Please Help A Relative Newbie

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] doc.mark@verizon.net

Training

Post by [old] doc.mark@verizon.net » June 7th, 2004, 5:22 pm

I've been training on the erg for about 3 mos. now. Typically, after about 5000 m my butt and hamstrings begin to numb. I have decreased my spm to about 26 and this helps somewhat (more rest on the recovery). However, the burning generally forces me off the erg for 1-2 mins. Any thoughts? I'm 6'4", 212 lbs and in otherwise real good shape. I'm frustrated in that I do believe I could eventually put up some real good numbers if not for this problem. I've tried the bubble wrap. It's not the hardness of the seat so this yields no benefit. Any thoughts on technique? Anyone elsec experience this? Ever? Some of you really seem to know your stuff. Help please. Thanks

LindaM

Training

Post by LindaM » June 8th, 2004, 7:42 am

Try searching achived forum ("sore butt") or similar phrase.

[old] jbhoren

Training

Post by [old] jbhoren » June 8th, 2004, 8:52 am

I had this happen to me, early-on in my rowing on the Concept2. I discovered that it was caused by me sitting too far forward on the seat. Moving back helped stop the problem. Other people suggested that I also try taking a piece of bubble-wrap about twice the length of the seat, fold it in half, and sit on it. Not bad. But moving farther back on the seat is what really mattered.

[old] kamdo

Training

Post by [old] kamdo » June 8th, 2004, 8:59 am

Try some regular strecthes for your hamstrings, buttocks, and lower back. I use the pad offered by Concept 2 and pull out the two circled inserts to allow the ischial tuberosities (commonly known as "butt bone") to sit a bit lower that the rest of the butt. I also use biking shorts with the padding in the rear most of the time while on the erg. If your numbness persists even off the erg, I'd see a physician.<br><br>Kevin

[old] doc.mark@verizon.net

Training

Post by [old] doc.mark@verizon.net » June 8th, 2004, 2:38 pm

Thanks to all. I checked out the archive section and I see that I'm not alone. While, I will try some modifying, I also wonder if it might just be tight hamstrings coupled with my relative newness on the erg. Thanks again.

[old] dadams

Training

Post by [old] dadams » June 8th, 2004, 3:06 pm

I personally use the seat pad that C2 makes for the erg. In fact I use two of them. It helps keep the blood flowing.<br><br>Dwayne

[old] Carl Henrik

Training

Post by [old] Carl Henrik » June 8th, 2004, 3:39 pm

Yes, newness to the erg is always a reason.<br><br>Something else that might cause it is if you need to pull hard with your hamstrings to get back to the catch. The seat should slide on it's own towards the fan cage when you don't sit on it. Dirt in the wheels or on the rail might be the cause or a decline towards the end of the rail. <br><br>If the latter is the case, adjust this in a proper manner and expect worse erg scores.<br><br>If the prior is the case, adjust that in a proper manner and expect better erg scores.<br><br>

[old] Fr. Ray

Training

Post by [old] Fr. Ray » June 8th, 2004, 5:56 pm

I think everyone get a little sore in the early stages, or if they take extended time off from working out. I have found that taking a towel and folding it a few times, not only adds a bit of comfort, but also absorbs sweat.<br><br>Of course the best thing to always remember...... NO PAIN, NO GAIN.

[old] Alex Carter

Training

Post by [old] Alex Carter » June 9th, 2004, 12:30 am

Get a neoprene mousepad!! They're the rubbery heavy ones, and they're great for cushioning bony butts! I know, I used to do situps on an uncarpeted floor, and they're the best! Second choice is not bubble wrap, but that "foamy" stuff that's used in place of bubble wrap.