Anyone Got New Training Ideas?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » May 26th, 2004, 6:09 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Carl Henrik+May 26 2004, 03:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Carl Henrik @ May 26 2004, 03:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ranger,<br>Apart from the actual sense your post make, it's even harder to disregard with a last line like yours.<br><br>For that relaxed no-burnout, non timed, non paced training, however, I would also recommend some relaxed on water rowing/sculling. There is no PM2 haunting you there, and lot of nice scenery passing you by instead.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Carl--<br><br>I agree entirely. That's just what I'm doing. I get up early; skip, run, and erg until the sun comes up; then row on the water for an hour or two.<br><br>I realize that some ergers don't have ready access to a scull and a body of water, though.<br><br>ranger

[old] EvanB

Training

Post by [old] EvanB » May 26th, 2004, 9:28 am

One way I keep things interesting is to do a "tour de erg" every summer. There are many possible variations on this but the most recent I did involved:<br><br>1) scaling down the KM in the Tour de France route to arrive at a comfortable average daily meters. I've used 6% in the past.<br><br>2) pick a comfortable average pace - 2:00/500m or whatever fits your style.<br><br>3) have by the erg a dice and a coin.<br><br>4) before you row each stage, roll the dice. That'll be the number of seconds to add or subtract to the average 500m pace for that day's stage. Determine whether you add or subtract by flipping the coin.<br><br>5) row the stage - and hopefully beat the randomly generated stage pace. If you don't, there's always the next stage to either work harder or maybe get a better roll.<br><br>6) at the end of each day, keep track of your cumulative time ahead or behind the stage pace. Your goal is to finish the 3 week tour de erg ahead. <br><br>I find it keeps me on the erg in the summer and gives me something to look forward to. I can have a horrible day and fall a couple minutes behind, and then work over the next couple to erase that deficit. I can pick my strategy throughout the tour based on the upcoming stage lengths and figuring out where I may be able to make up time - or I can set a blistering pace on a particular stage to pad time for myself for the potential combination of a long day and a bad roll.<br><br>Doing it all to tapes of the daily OLN feed of the tour makes it all the more enjoyable - you can watch pros share in YOUR pain <g>.<br><br>Evan

[old] GeorgeD

Training

Post by [old] GeorgeD » May 31st, 2004, 4:54 am

An amazing concept ..... I am impressed

[old] jbhoren

Training

Post by [old] jbhoren » June 2nd, 2004, 6:31 am

As a going-away present from the gang at work, I received a Creative Nomad MuVo 128 NX -- for those who aren't familiar with it, it's a USB "disk on key" -- a 128MB memory chip and MP3/WMV player which plugs into a free USB port on your computer, and onto which you can download music in MP3 or WMV formats (as well as photos, software, a Linux kernel, etc., etc.) You then plug it into the other half of its carrier, which holds a single AAA battery, slip the whole thing into its elastic armband carrier, insert the headphone plug into the jack, and go! It'll hold 2 hours of MP3-format music, or 4 hours of WMV-format tunes, and weighs a scant 1.5oz with battery.<br><br>I loaded 63 minutes of John Philip Sousa marches, and go row! The 4/4 cadence is great, and the music takes me back to high school/college marching bands (and back to the US Army, too).<br><br>I've tried Billy Joel, Britney Spears, The Rolling Stones, and others; but nothing works for me like a 60-minute row to the tune of John Philip Sousa marches. I finish my workout "As the Caissons Go Rolling Along".<br><br>Sometimes I close my eyes and try to remember that baton-twirler I dated in high school...

[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » June 3rd, 2004, 6:48 am

I imagine the baton twirler makes you speed up a bit

[old] Mike H

Training

Post by [old] Mike H » June 3rd, 2004, 8:19 am

knowing Roy, <b><i>he´ll</i></b> probably start imagining her when he´s rowing now!<br><br>

[old] c2jonw

Training

Post by [old] c2jonw » June 3rd, 2004, 8:35 am

Hi Roy- Years ago when I was a semi-serious road biker, I used to get through the long winter roller rides with what I called musical intervals. Crank up CHOM, the Montreal rock radio station, and pace my cadence to the beat of whatever music came up. Sort of an indoor fartlek workout. I've carried this over to the erg for some sessions when I just don't know what I want to do. Add some structure by using recorded music so you know what's coming up. personally I have a hard time erging in the summer after a long Vermont winter- too many thing to do outside in the time available.....Jon

[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » June 3rd, 2004, 10:46 am

Yeah, I agree with you it's good to get into the rthym and beat of the tunes. I have been watching the BOX on sky TV, it's kind of a rap/black channel, the beat tends to favour the 20spm range, but the videos are well good!!!

[old] trish_s

Training

Post by [old] trish_s » June 3rd, 2004, 6:39 pm

Tour de Erg sounds like fun! I have trouble listening to music while erging, the headphones like to get tangled with the chain!

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » June 3rd, 2004, 8:29 pm

Trish,<br><br>Try putting the cord behind your shoulders, instead of in front of them, and let the cord go down to the side. This way it doesn't get tangled in the seat either.

[old] eurofoot13

Training

Post by [old] eurofoot13 » June 4th, 2004, 12:17 pm

I use a bike jersey over trou when I listen to music using headphones. The back pockets work miracles for keeping stuff out of the way.

[old] Xavier

Training

Post by [old] Xavier » June 4th, 2004, 3:54 pm

Roy - do a couple of blind rows! Bet you knew I'd say that ...<br><br>The old 40/30 (40min with screen up, have about 6 min or so until you're recovered, then 30min with the screen up, idea is to go faster on the second) is a great love of mine.<br><br>Xav

[old] Rocket Roy

Training

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » June 5th, 2004, 5:05 am

Xav, that is interesting, 40 mins blind then 6 min rest and 30 min blind, and try to go faster/further in the 30 mins?<br><br>will probably have a go at that. Thanks.<br><br>The tour de erg, although it sounds interesting, Is too complicated for me to manage.<br>Thanks for all the ideas

[old] Xavier

Training

Post by [old] Xavier » June 5th, 2004, 11:39 am

That's it Roy. Generally, I never use a fixed rest in between the two - just have a rest until I catch my breath again. Spm tends to be between 22 and 24. Enjoy!<br><br>Xav