Join Taff Attack

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Bore Da!

General

Post by [old] Bore Da! » February 8th, 2006, 2:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Brendo+Feb 8 2006, 08:28 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Brendo @ Feb 8 2006, 08:28 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My times are all pretty poor ranging from 64% to 80% in the rankings, but I am persistent.<br /><br />Also I'm a born and bred taff 18 years in Llandrindod Wells, before leaving. I'm now in Brisbane, Australia (and 26 years older) so you'll have a couple of us working your night shift.<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Two Questions:<br />1. Do you look the part?, coz if you speak to Chippy, then according to him thats all that matters.<br />2. Do you realise that Llandrindod is now the start of the biggest enduro in Wales (The Welsh Enduro). People come from all over (I had an American on my minute last time I did it, and theres Europeons everywhere!), to ride 300 miles of Welsh forestry. See here <a href='http://www.welsh2dayenduro.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.welsh2dayenduro.com/</a>

[old] chippy

General

Post by [old] chippy » February 8th, 2006, 2:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dadams+Feb 8 2006, 08:40 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dadams @ Feb 8 2006, 08:40 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Brendo+Feb 8 2006, 08:28 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Brendo @ Feb 8 2006, 08:28 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ok after watching the Taff Attack forum for a few weeks and looking at the CTC site today, I've got to say I'm impressed. Both with the banter and with your abilities. I tried a 300m row this evening and hit 1:02.0 and almost burst my lungs, How Dwayne gets below 45 seconds is beyond me. The only good thing about times over 1 minute is that I still get the metres added to my logcard  <br /><br />What is the secret of a racing start? I haven't got it for sure<br /><br />Anyway after buttering you all up for a paragraph or two I'd like to join the Taffs if I might. My times are all pretty poor ranging from 64% to 80% in the rankings, but I am persistent, I was at least on the same first page as Dwayne (but a million meteres behind) in the January virtual challenge with about 470K for Team Oz.<br /><br />Also I'm a born and bred taff 18 years in Llandrindod Wells, before leaving. I'm now in Brisbane, Australia (and 26 years older) so you'll have a couple of us working your night shift.<br /><br />Best regards<br />Brendin Lewis <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Brendin,<br />With a resume like that, you're as good as in. Welcome to TA.<br /><br />The racing start: If this is for the 300m CTC, then you should do one thing to the erg before you get started. Turn it so that the fan end is toward a wall (or something else solid). That way it won't bounce across the floor when you do this piece.<br /><br />Ok...half, half, three-quarter, three-quarter, full. That's a typical racing start. And since this is only (yeah right, <b>only</b>) three hundred meters, you go b*lls out the whole way. How's that?<br /><br />Dwayne <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Brendin<br /><br />Welcome,you will have to get in touch with Martin (Aussie Taff) he lives out your way.<br /><br />Owen<br />Well done on the prize , <br /><br />Now Speedy has given us a few tips on how to row 300m i will tell how not to.<br />My first attempt last week in my freezing cold garage.Did a step test first with Chris to find our AT levels which was a killer,then just as i was putting it all away decides to do a 300m,Chris stood on the front of the machine,computer cables<br />under the front floor brace so it was of the floor,black plastic bag had slipped under the back floor brace which acted like an oil spill. Chris was thrown around like a rag doll as i blasted it out.When i got my breath we could not stop laughing<br />when we noticed the bag and the cables. <br /><br />Chippy

[old] dadams

General

Post by [old] dadams » February 8th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Dropped my 300 by another 0.5 sec. Did this one on a Model C at the gym during lunch. Still think I can go faster. Will give it another go in a couple of days.<br /><br />We're still in fourth. Dang!! Anyone got any more left in them? Carla????? I know you can do a sprint. Without hurting your back, give it a go.

[old] Citroen

General

Post by [old] Citroen » February 8th, 2006, 2:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Brendo+Feb 8 2006, 01:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Brendo @ Feb 8 2006, 01:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Anyway after buttering you all up for a paragraph or two I'd like to join the Taffs if I might. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />[center]<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Welcome Brendin.</span>[/center]<br /><br />I had a day off so I went to the gym with Debs. (It was supposed to be a unofficial 25min race - 6250m for me, 5K for Debs. She started before me, then had to stop for three mins for a phone call.) I wore my TAFF AIO. That turned a few heads with the old codgers in the gym.<br /><br />The racing start is pull furiously for the first six to eight strokes, then ease back to the pace you've planned to row at. If you go too far the lactate will build in your legs and you're on for a fly'n'die race. <br /><br />I got two strokes out of the first eight in at new low pull of 1:26 last time I tried the crazy 300m (on damper 10). I'm going to drop it back to damper 8 next time.

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » February 8th, 2006, 2:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Feb 8 2006, 02:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Feb 8 2006, 02:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Brendo+Feb 8 2006, 01:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Brendo @ Feb 8 2006, 01:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Anyway after buttering you all up for a paragraph or two I'd like to join the Taffs if I might. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />[center]<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Welcome Brendin.</span>[/center]<br /><br />I had a day off so I went to the gym with Debs. (It was supposed to be a unofficial 25min race - 6250m for me, 5K for Debs. She started before me, then had to stop for three mins for a phone call.) I wore my TAFF AIO. That turned a few heads with the old codgers in the gym.<br /><br />The racing start is pull furiously for the first six to eight strokes, then ease back to the pace you've planned to row at. If you go too far the lactate will build in your legs and you're on for a fly'n'die race. <br /><br />I got two strokes out of the first eight in at new low pull of 1:26 last time I tried the crazy 300m (on damper 10). I'm going to drop it back to damper 8 next time. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Dougie:<br /><br />You'll now need to update the LP in your signature then, ehh?<br /><br />Good work!<br /><br />You feel max drag is too high? I may follow your lead and back it down as well next go.<br /><br />-- Mark

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » February 8th, 2006, 2:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dadams+Feb 8 2006, 02:43 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dadams @ Feb 8 2006, 02:43 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Dropped my 300 by another 0.5 sec. Did this one on a Model C at the gym during lunch. Still think I can go faster. Will give it another go in a couple of days.<br /><br />We're still in fourth. Dang!! Anyone got any more left in them? Carla????? I know you can do a sprint. Without hurting your back, give it a go. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Way to go Dwayne ...

[old] Bore Da!

General

Post by [old] Bore Da! » February 8th, 2006, 3:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-chippy+Feb 8 2006, 01:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(chippy @ Feb 8 2006, 01:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Now Speedy has given us a few tips on how to row 300m i will tell how not to.<br />My first attempt last week in my freezing cold garage.Did a step test first with Chris to find our AT levels which was a killer,then just as i was putting it all away decides to do a 300m,Chris stood on the front of the machine,computer cables<br />under the front floor brace so it was of the floor,black plastic bag had slipped under the back floor brace which acted like an oil spill. Chris was thrown around like a rag doll as i blasted it out.When i got my breath we could not stop laughing<br />when we noticed the bag and the cables. <br /><br />Chippy  <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I actually couldn't keep a straight face from pretty much half way - It was as if Chippy was TRYING to move the rower up the garage. It was banging like h*** into my knee, and I knew all the time Chippy was getting annoyed because I wasn't holding it properly - the more I tried to hold the laffing back the harder it got to hold on, then I just thought - ah *uck him!

[old] mumbles

General

Post by [old] mumbles » February 8th, 2006, 4:54 pm

Just had another crack at the 300m, no good though, only 47.0, never really felt like it was flowing at any point, followed it up with a nice 9k@1:54 22spm. Actually starting to enjoy this longer distance stuff now <br /><br />Nice one Dwayne , sorry i let Taff 1 down .

[old] dadams

General

Post by [old] dadams » February 8th, 2006, 5:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mumbles+Feb 8 2006, 03:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mumbles @ Feb 8 2006, 03:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just had another crack at the 300m, no good though, only 47.0, never really felt like it was flowing at any point, followed it up with a nice 9k@1:54 22spm. Actually starting to enjoy this longer distance stuff now <br /><br />Nice one Dwayne , sorry i let Taff 1 down . <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You didn't let anyone down. You gave it your best. That is what it is mate.

[old] mumbles

General

Post by [old] mumbles » February 8th, 2006, 5:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dadams+Feb 8 2006, 04:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dadams @ Feb 8 2006, 04:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mumbles+Feb 8 2006, 03:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mumbles @ Feb 8 2006, 03:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just had another crack at the 300m, no good though, only 47.0, never really felt like it was flowing at any point, followed it up with a nice 9k@1:54 22spm. Actually starting to enjoy this longer distance stuff now <br /><br />Nice one Dwayne , sorry i let Taff 1 down . <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You didn't let anyone down. You gave it your best. That is what it is mate. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I guess, another hard week of training and i'll have another crack (am now 2 weeks into Pete's plan and it is going well )

[old] Paul B

General

Post by [old] Paul B » February 8th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Brendin - hi - welcome aboard.<br /><br />Chris - haven't you sussed it yet that Chippy is the common denominator in all your accidents - dodgy tarmac - booby trapped erg - with friends like that you don't need enemies <br /><br />Owen - chuffed that you won one of the prizes - bit cynical me, and always thought nobody won them. I reckon you'll take one look at the big elastic band, give it one go and have it on Ebay within hours of it arriving - some mug will buy it <br /><br />Had a first go at the CTC tonight. Plan was to attempt it between rep 1 & 2 of a 4 x 15min session so that I was well warmed up. About 60m in and pulling 1.15's felt a twinge in my quad, so stopped as I don't want to have an enforced injury break from training at the moment. Will have a go later in the week.

[old] Brendo

General

Post by [old] Brendo » February 8th, 2006, 6:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Bore Da!+Feb 9 2006, 04:00 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bore Da! @ Feb 9 2006, 04:00 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Brendo+Feb 8 2006, 08:28 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Brendo @ Feb 8 2006, 08:28 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My times are all pretty poor ranging from 64% to 80% in the rankings, but I am persistent.<br /><br />Also I'm a born and bred taff 18 years in Llandrindod Wells, before leaving. I'm now in Brisbane, Australia (and 26 years older) so you'll have a couple of us working your night shift.<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Two Questions:<br />1. Do you look the part?, coz if you speak to Chippy, then according to him thats all that matters.<br />2. Do you realise that Llandrindod is now the start of the biggest enduro in Wales (The Welsh Enduro). People come from all over (I had an American on my minute last time I did it, and theres Europeons everywhere!), to ride 300 miles of Welsh forestry. See here <a href='http://www.welsh2dayenduro.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.welsh2dayenduro.com/</a> <br /><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The old home town looks the same, as I step down from the train........<br /><br />Nice to see the old place is getting some use. I remember that "the scrambles" used to be held there even when I was a kid<br /><br />Thanks all for you welcome greetings. I found that the virtual team challenge was a great motivator and I'm sure TA will be too - only about 9mil to catch up with the other brits Hmmm<br /><br />Brendo<br />

[old] seat5

General

Post by [old] seat5 » February 8th, 2006, 9:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dadams+Feb 8 2006, 06:43 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dadams @ Feb 8 2006, 06:43 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Dropped my 300 by another 0.5 sec. Did this one on a Model C at the gym during lunch. Still think I can go faster. Will give it another go in a couple of days.<br /><br />We're still in fourth. Dang!! Anyone got any more left in them? Carla????? I know you can do a sprint. Without hurting your back, give it a go. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Oh, fine, enough already!!!<br />I'm still not rowing at full slide because of the knee/tendon whatever the h*** it is that is bothering my left leg. Did 4K warm up, pokey pokey and gave the 300 a feeble shot. Of all absurd workouts this has got to be the silliest I have ever attempted. The last 100 meters was quite dreadful and I'm sure the video would be a hoot. Anyway, managed 56.2 at a ridiculous average spm of 51. Drag was 135, (usually I row at 117.) We're in 3rd for a minute or two.<br /><br />It looks like Mark Pukita, Godfried and I are all really in the same boat!!

[old] AussieTaff

General

Post by [old] AussieTaff » February 8th, 2006, 10:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-chippy+Feb 8 2006, 01:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(chippy @ Feb 8 2006, 01:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Brendin<br /><br />Welcome,you will have to get in touch with Martin (Aussie Taff) he lives out your way.<br /><br />Chippy  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Hi Brendin,<br /><br />Welcome to the team, nice to have a fellow team member closer that 10,000 miles away for a change ! I have relatives living in Bundaberg so get to pass through Brissy quite often on the way to/from, maybe we can catch up sometime ? And if you visit Melbourne it would be great to have a row together. My email address is in the Taff team profile.<br /><br />Great 300m Carla. WOW ! I did a 500m (reluctantly) last week at the insistence of one of my gym crowd who is super competitive (ex sprinter) and is close to doing me over 500m. I did a PB of 1:35.4 to just see him off (1:36.8) and noticed I went through the 300m in 1:35 ave pace - 57 secs. So your time was tops in my book !<br /><br />Great story Chippy/Chris <br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Martin

[old] seat5

General

Post by [old] seat5 » February 8th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Hi Martin, I see you down there!<br />Great 500 m pb, bet it wasn't at 51 spm, 200 more meters would have given me whiplash<br />