Cheats

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
johnnybike
1k Poster

Post by johnnybike » April 12th, 2006, 5:12 pm

John Rupp wrote:
johnnybike wrote:Did I say the word liar?

I made a simple statement. If Chad Williams is his correct name then I apologise most profusely and I really do mean that.
Is "Johnnybike" your real name. :?
No it is not. My real name is John Hallas and I am not afraid to use it. Is Chad Williams a real name or a pseudonym/alias. If the later then why does he not want to use his/her real name or even the pseudonym/alias he may use on the UK forum

As regards finding every word I wrote on dictionary.com or wherever, well that says a lot more about you than me. I must remember that I had you on my ignore list on the previous version of this forum and try and not read your posts in future.
[url=http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/weblog.php?w=57]Read my diary[/url]
2K [b]7:06:1[/b] | 5K [b]18:35.2[/b] | 10K [b]37.47.9[/b] | 30mins [b]7899[/b] | 60mins [b]15577[/b] | HM [b]82:33.3[/b] FM [b]2:50:48[/b]

Alissa
2k Poster

Post by Alissa » April 12th, 2006, 5:17 pm

chgoss wrote:Chad Williams cheated, that's priceless!!

The only answer is to have C2 have a separate ranking including only race results. When that happens, the credibility of the training times gets vastly diminished, thus discouraging "cheating" (if, in fact, anyone has actually cheated)
It will also serve to encourage more races to be organized..
Emphasis added.

The rankings are already set up this way. When you run a search, under "Source" in the right hand column, specify that you want to see only "Race results", and you'll have exactly what you're looking for. (The other options from the drop down menu are "individually entered results", "RowPro Direct Entry" and the default, "ALL.")

Remember that whatever the source you choose to look at, the result is only going to be from a stated "season".

To see "records" look under World Records, which has its own standards for inclusion and will allow you to looks at records from a particular season or from all seasons listed.

Alissa

chgoss
10k Poster

Post by chgoss » April 12th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Alissa wrote:

The rankings are already set up this way. When you run a search, under "Source" in the right hand column, specify that you want to see only "Race results", and you'll have exactly what you're looking for. (The other options from the drop down menu are "individually entered results", "RowPro Direct Entry" and the default, "ALL.")

Alissa
I agree that its possible to sort what's posted, but it just isnt the same thing as having a separate list that you have to have been in a race to get on to..

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » April 12th, 2006, 5:56 pm

johnnybike wrote:Did I say the word liar?

I made a simple statement. If Chad Williams is his correct name then I apologise most profusely and I really do mean that.
John Rupp wrote:Is "Johnnybike" your real name. :?
johnnybike wrote:No it is not. My real name is John Hallas and I am not afraid to use it.
According to you then, you're a liar and a cheat.

You invited Chat to leave the forum, so when are you leaving it?
Is Chad Williams a real name or a pseudonym/alias. If the later then why does he not want to use his/her real name or even the pseudonym/alias he may use on the UK forum
Chad stated before that Chad Williams is his real name.

Why aren't you using your real name, instead of keeping it secret.

I don't care what name you use but it's strange you asked Chad to leave and yet you are still here.
As regards finding every word I wrote on dictionary.com or wherever, well that says a lot more about you than me.
Yeah it says I know how to use a dictionary. :lol:
I must remember that I had you on my ignore list on the previous version of this forum and try and not read your posts in future.

That will probably be much easier, than for you to remember to think before posting. :lol:
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

John Foy
1k Poster

Post by John Foy » April 12th, 2006, 6:09 pm

This forum gets more weird every day. Why does anybody give a shit that Chad copied and pasted something. That is not cheating. It is copying and pasting. He is not being examined on what he pasted. He pasted something interesting. So what? Utter madness. Sometimes people ask me for tips on weight training. Sometime I copy and paste stuff because It saves me time. I must be a cheat aswell then.

Johnnybike. You seem to think you 'know' who Chad is from the UK forum. Who is he then? Why isn't he just Chad?

This is all madness. Tell me honestly. (Note that there is no mention of Dwayne possibly cheating in my next question)

Who on here, who competes on the erg, is not interested in getting rid of cheats from the sport?

Chad said in his pasted post that we should be getting rid of cheats. Who disagrees?

John

Alissa
2k Poster

Post by Alissa » April 12th, 2006, 6:20 pm

chgoss wrote:
Alissa wrote:
chgoss wrote:The only answer is to have C2 have a separate ranking including only race results.
Emphasis added.

I agree that its possible to sort what's posted, but it just isnt the same thing as having a separate list that you have to have been in a race to get on to..
If the "sort" resulted in a list where race results displayed first and the rest afterwards, I might understand (but not necessarily agree) with your concern (I'm not sure what your concern with such a result would be—the only thing that comes to mind, a concern that race results are somehow "contaminated" by having non-race results follow on the same list?). But that's hypothetical, since this isn't what is displayed.

Here, when one specifies "Race results", the resulting list is only race results—I can't see how that "just isn't the same" as a list of race results.

If I've understood correctly, "Race" results can only be entered by the race administrators. Are you proposing that entries be made differently to the database? If so, how? If not, then we're talking about how the race entries are displayed.

Is your objection that others can look at a list that include race results with other source materials (by specifying "ALL" as the source for the combined list they'd like to see)? If so, why is that a problem, if that is what others want to look at? As long as you still have the ability to see only the list that you want to see?

Alissa

johnnybike
1k Poster

Post by johnnybike » April 12th, 2006, 6:20 pm

Looks like I have made an enemy of Mr Rupp - great.

John, I do not know who "Chad" is. I doubt that is his real name. I have an educated guess who it may be but it would be stupid of me to suggest a name. TBH I am not really bothered who it is. The principle that I do not like is that every thread he/she starts, every post he/she makes are all designed to stir things up, throw mud, cast asperions. This thread is yet another one of the same mould. Nobody likes cheats or agrees with them. Certainly not me. If DA is cheating then it is despicable, the same as if anyone else was. However the whole, issue is tainting both fora in my view.

The point I was making about the plagiarism is relatively trivial. It seems absurd that someone will talk about cheats when making a post that is entirely someone else's work without using a simple statement such as "I saw this somewhere and agree entirely" or words to that effect.

Does that cover your questions?
2K [b]7:06:1[/b] | 5K [b]18:35.2[/b] | 10K [b]37.47.9[/b] | 30mins [b]7899[/b] | 60mins [b]15577[/b] | HM [b]82:33.3[/b] FM [b]2:50:48[/b]

John Foy
1k Poster

Post by John Foy » April 12th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Does that cover your questions?
Completely. :wink: :D

John

Ducatista
2k Poster

Re: Cheats

Post by Ducatista » April 12th, 2006, 6:32 pm

schweinlew wrote:It seems ironic that Chad would submit a post on cheating when he in fact plagiarized the text of his post...
Oh, snap!
John Foy wrote:Why does anybody give a shit that Chad copied and pasted something.
Because it's funny.

cbrock
Paddler

Post by cbrock » April 12th, 2006, 7:56 pm

[quote="Alissa
Is your objection that others can look at a list that include race results with other source materials (by specifying "ALL" as the source for the combined list they'd like to see)? If so, why is that a problem, if that is what others want to look at? As long as you still have the ability to see only the list that you want to see?

Alissa[/quote]

Alissa,
Unfortunately using "Race" results is only relevant for 2k's because there are so few "Race" results available for other distances.

The only solution is to include at least one additional distance at each certified C2 event (particularly BIRC, WIRC & EIRC) and thus increase the number of race times in the data base.

Certified Race World Records could then gradually replace IND_V at other distances.

Chris

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » April 13th, 2006, 3:15 am

Alissa wrote:

The only answer is to have C2 have a separate ranking including only race results. When that happens, the credibility of the training times gets vastly diminished, thus discouraging "cheating" (if, in fact, anyone has actually cheated)
It will also serve to encourage more races to be organized..
Emphasis added.

Remember that whatever the source you choose to look at, the result is only going to be from a stated "season".

To see "records" look under World Records, which has its own standards for inclusion and will allow you to looks at records from a particular season or from all seasons listed.

Alissa
although true is this not very sue full ate the moment. Manny events are not included. So this list is not complete. And I would also not call it an separate list. It is just one list everything mixt up. Not clear at all.

A few weeks ago there was official marathon over here in Holland. You will not find the results in the rankings :( . A pitty I think

johnnybike
1k Poster

Post by johnnybike » April 13th, 2006, 3:35 am

I did a 2K PB at Boston and I assumed that time would be automatically logged somewhere. I know it was not a WR or anything like but I am unclear how you actually get a race time shown on the online logbook. It should be automatic if you have entered a C2 run competition.

Daren
1k Poster

Post by Daren » April 13th, 2006, 7:00 am

Sir P wrote:I also agree with drug testing and events.
I agree we should have events.

But why drug testing? As far as I'm aware, drug testing isn't against the rules. The only rule is that you mustn't move your damper after the race has started, isn't it? (Well, OK, and one must row one's own race. ;) But before drug testing, we need people to demonstrate that they are who they say they are, otherwise I could enter a HWT race and get Graham Benton to row for me. Sounds like a plan, actually...)
[b]Daren[/b]
37, short, borderline LWT.
[i]Taff Attack Racing[/i]

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » April 13th, 2006, 7:35 am

Daren wrote:
Sir P wrote:I also agree with drug testing and events.
I agree we should have events.

But why drug testing? As far as I'm aware, drug testing isn't against the rules. The only rule is that you mustn't move your damper after the race has started, isn't it? (Well, OK, and one must row one's own race. ;) But before drug testing, we need people to demonstrate that they are who they say they are, otherwise I could enter a HWT race and get Graham Benton to row for me. Sounds like a plan, actually...)
Daren,

I what sport did you have to proof who you were?

I myself never.
And I competed in horseriding, soccer, track and field, erging, basketball, bassball.

tennstrike
1k Poster

Post by tennstrike » April 13th, 2006, 8:23 am

johnnybike wrote:The point I was making about the plagiarism is relatively trivial. It seems absurd that someone will talk about cheats when making a post that is entirely someone else's work without using a simple statement such as "I saw this somewhere and agree entirely" or words to that effect.
Quite correct. Everyone knows how to copy and paste. However, when you put words up under your "signature", you are implicitly claiming them as yours and not someone else's. The words Chad posted were stolen. It is silly to argue which is worse, a cheat or a liar. Neither can, nor should, be believed.

Of course, that doesn't mean that the entertainment value is in any way diminished!

(For the record, I am absolutely NOT in any way inferring anything about Dwayne.)
6'1" 192lb 60
500 1:38.7 | 1K 3:29.2 | 2K 7:16.9 | 5K 19:14.0 | 6K 23:12.3 | 10K 39:40.5 | Started rowing June05