Runners Thread

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Jim Barry

General

Post by [old] Jim Barry » November 15th, 2005, 3:00 pm

22 miles barefoot. You Tarahumara Indian. That's great. <br /><br />The frees are working out fine. I do think a lot of my bottleneck is just getting some spring in my step and I think the frees will do a good job teaching my feet and calves some of this strength as well as a healthier stride. My 12 mile run on Saturday went really well and it may be because of the frees. I wear them a lot. Our 4 month old golden retriever puppy is growing into a little Lydiard of her own here as our dog walks in the field are turning into some running for us both. She is very agile and has very strong build. It's beautiful to run with someone who really LOVES to run. She can break into a sprint that leaves me in her dust.<br /><br />I see the Nike Free 4.0 has hit the market now. Looks comfy. <br /><br /><a href='http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/?pro ... de=NIK2576' target='_blank'>Nike 4.0 pic</a>

[old] johnnybike

General

Post by [old] johnnybike » November 15th, 2005, 4:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Jim Barry+Nov 15 2005, 02:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Jim Barry @ Nov 15 2005, 02:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br /><br />I see the Nike Free 4.0 has hit the market now. Looks comfy. <br /><br /><a href='http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/?pro ... de=NIK2576' target='_blank'>Nike 4.0 pic</a> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Jim, you must be on commision. I am surprised that you linked to a UK site as I thought they would have been out in the States first.<br /><br />I have been in their shop in Bradford a few times. It is massive but you have to know what you want as they have a set of clueless staff.

[old] Jim Barry

General

Post by [old] Jim Barry » November 15th, 2005, 4:45 pm

Commisssion? Good idea. I'll talk to Nike about it. <br /><br />I just needed a picture. Google searches do not care what country it finds a hit. Actually, I can't it for sale in the US and that is the only picture I could find. <br /><br />

[old] Samroot

General

Post by [old] Samroot » November 16th, 2005, 6:26 am

<!--QuoteBegin-johnnybike+Nov 15 2005, 08:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(johnnybike @ Nov 15 2005, 08:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Jim Barry+Nov 15 2005, 02:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Jim Barry @ Nov 15 2005, 02:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br /><br />I see the Nike Free 4.0 has hit the market now. Looks comfy. <br /><br /><a href='http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/?pro ... de=NIK2576' target='_blank'>Nike 4.0 pic</a> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Jim, you must be on commision. I am surprised that you linked to a UK site as I thought they would have been out in the States first.<br /><br />I have been in their shop in Bradford a few times. It is massive but you have to know what you want as they have a set of clueless staff. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I found the same thing Jim, I don't think they released them in the US at all. All I see out that is different,isa trail version of the 5.0.<br /><br />John that sounds about right for a Nike store,a lot of hype,little substance-a plumped up holiday ham and a lot of annoying music. I susspect the overwhelming majority of their clientele is there to make a fashion purchase than buying anything for functionality. I always go to the one in Boston and climb to the 3rd floor to see the Steve Prefontaine display and read his traininng log.<br /><br />The other shoe I used for track workouts this summer,was the Puma h street-a casual shoe that weighs about 5 oz. I was doing 1k repeats under 4 mins. in them without any ill effects. I was afraid at greater speeds,I'd start tp feel the pounding in the knees. I guess all the barefoot running-landing and flexing on the forefoot-disipitated a lot of the shock and stretched and strengthened my achilles.

[old] johnnybike

General

Post by [old] johnnybike » November 16th, 2005, 7:27 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Samroot+Nov 15 2005, 12:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Samroot @ Nov 15 2005, 12:01 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks John!  Two Oceans? I have a local South African friend who wants me to go back over and do Comrades with him. That make Boston look like a flatlander marathon.. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well funny you mention Comrades Sam. Back in May I started a thread on the UK forum 'Ultimate sporting Ambition' <a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7722' target='_blank'> LINK </a> and I set out a number of bullet points as to my sporting target. Interesting to review it now, 6 months later<br /><br />1) Build up my off road running and try and do a few long distance off road run/walks (c 23-26m) <span style='color:red'>Only partially achieved, done lots of walking (up to 40 miles ) and running up to 13 miles and feel quite strong and capable. However injuries have caused me to lay of the long stuff (or much else to be honest)</span><br />2) Qualify for 3 Peaks Race by completing 2 medium or long fell races <span style='color:red'>Achieved</span><br />3) Run 3 Peaks Race last weekend of April 2006. <span style='color:red'>After my orthotics are fitted and I become acustomed to them I need to see what happens when I build the mileage up. By the end of January I should know and will decide on entering the 3P or not.</span><br />4) Complete a marathon to give me qualification for Comrades or 2 Oceans <br />5) Build up off road mileage <br />6) Enter Comrades/2 Oceans in 2007 or maybe the year later. I<span style='color:red'> am thinking about the 2 Oceans race first as it is on Easter Saturday, 2007 and as my wife works in a school that fits in with her holidays.</span><br />So overall, still on target but not making as much progress as I wanted, soley through injuries. <br /><br />

[old] Samroot

General

Post by [old] Samroot » November 17th, 2005, 6:35 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Jim Barry+Nov 15 2005, 07:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Jim Barry @ Nov 15 2005, 07:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->22 miles barefoot. You Tarahumara Indian. That's great.  <br /><br />The frees are working out fine. I do think a lot of my bottleneck is just getting some spring in my step and I think the frees will do a good job teaching my feet and calves some of this strength as well as a healthier stride. My 12 mile run on Saturday went really well and it may be because of the frees. I wear them a lot.  Our 4 month old golden retriever puppy is growing into a little Lydiard of her own here as our dog walks in the field are turning into some running for us both. She is very agile and has very strong build.  It's beautiful to run with someone who really LOVES to run. She can break into a sprint that leaves me in her dust.<br /><br />I see the Nike Free 4.0 has hit the market now. Looks comfy. <br /><br /><a href='http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/?pro ... de=NIK2576' target='_blank'>Nike 4.0 pic</a> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Thats great Jim. When I first started barefoot my calves were sore for a while then that went away. The whole visual of 'spring in your step ' or energy return is what intrigued me to begin with.<br /><br />Retrievers make great runners. My wife described her former dog, a golden retriever-'just happy to be alive'. I've taken 'Mr. Wilson' as far as 10 miles this year,but mostly 2-6 miles regularly. By the way,the girl and her boyfriend who we got the dog from were apparently big Phish fans and named the dog for a song title by the band.

[old] Samroot

General

Post by [old] Samroot » November 17th, 2005, 7:02 am

<!--QuoteBegin-johnnybike+Nov 16 2005, 11:27 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(johnnybike @ Nov 16 2005, 11:27 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Samroot+Nov 15 2005, 12:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Samroot @ Nov 15 2005, 12:01 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks John!  Two Oceans? I have a local South African friend who wants me to go back over and do Comrades with him. That make Boston look like a flatlander marathon.. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well funny you mention Comrades Sam. Back in May I started a thread on the UK forum 'Ultimate sporting Ambition' <a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7722' target='_blank'> LINK </a> and I set out a number of bullet points as to my sporting target. Interesting to review it now, 6 months later<br /><br />1) Build up my off road running and try and do a few long distance off road run/walks (c 23-26m) <span style='color:red'>Only partially achieved, done lots of walking (up to 40 miles ) and running up to 13 miles and feel quite strong and capable. However injuries have caused me to lay of the long stuff (or much else to be honest)</span><br />2) Qualify for 3 Peaks Race by completing 2 medium or long fell races <span style='color:red'>Achieved</span><br />3) Run 3 Peaks Race last weekend of April 2006. <span style='color:red'>After my orthotics are fitted and I become acustomed to them I need to see what happens when I build the mileage up. By the end of January I should know and will decide on entering the 3P or not.</span><br />4) Complete a marathon to give me qualification for Comrades or 2 Oceans <br />5) Build up off road mileage <br />6) Enter Comrades/2 Oceans in 2007 or maybe the year later. I<span style='color:red'> am thinking about the 2 Oceans race first as it is on Easter Saturday, 2007 and as my wife works in a school that fits in with her holidays.</span><br />So overall, still on target but not making as much progress as I wanted, soley through injuries. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Yes John,its attractive yet daunting. <br /><br /><br />When I was in Durban in 1997.I was a on tour bus with a with a bunch of other veteran atheltes and the driver asked us if we wanted to see Comrades house. I piped up' Yes'! I think I was the only one who knew what it was. So we went there-great memorabalia,and a neat model of the course under glass.<br /><br /><br />When I was running my 22 miler,I ran a couple of laps with a guy who is going up to Alaska in February to do a 100 miler. I guess you have to pull a sled with survival gear behind you in case you get stuck. <br /><br />Yesterday morning I did 10k barefoot in rain,started at 61F and ended at 48F. It was rainy and slippery and I was worried about pulling or straining something in the core area. This morning we have 4 to 6 in.of snow on the ground. So it begins again. I can't wait till tomorrow to start driving south.

[old] Jim Barry

General

Post by [old] Jim Barry » November 20th, 2005, 4:05 pm

Got my weekly long run in yesterday (13.5 miles). I'm not sure what got into me. I just put too much into the first half averaging 7:30/mile and up a number of hills (and down fewer). I was happy enough most of the way, but at about 10 miles I was getting really tight in the legs. The last half mile I was doing something "like" running, but this involved no calves. Speed shuffle I guess. The overall pace was 7:51 (something like a 1:42:51 HM in there). Nice baseline/benchmark. I'm exceptionally tired and hungry today.

[old] ancho

General

Post by [old] ancho » November 27th, 2005, 6:43 pm

Hi, folks!<br />Just got back from San Sebastián (600 km)<br />I did it!<br />First full marathon 3:30,04 (scheduled: 3:30,00!! ), with TERRIBLE WEATHER.<br />Now I am very tired and will go to sleep. I will be on business trip until friday, than I'll post more details.<br />Now everything is aching... <br />Don't know if I will be willing to repeat.<br />

[old] johnnybike

General

Post by [old] johnnybike » November 27th, 2005, 6:50 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ancho+Nov 27 2005, 05:43 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ancho @ Nov 27 2005, 05:43 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi, folks!<br />Just got back from San Sebastián (600 km)<br />I did it!<br />First full marathon 3:30,04 (scheduled: 3:30,00!!  ), with TERRIBLE WEATHER.<br />Now I am very tired and will go to sleep. I will be on business trip until friday, than I'll post more details.<br />Now everything is aching... <br />Don't know if I will be willing to repeat. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Superb pacing. An exceellent job. Well done.<br />Don't plan on climbing any stairs tomorrow.<br /><br />Give it a few days and I bet you are planning your next FM<br /><br />John

[old] Jim Barry

General

Post by [old] Jim Barry » November 28th, 2005, 2:59 pm

Great Job Ancho! <br /><br />Congratulations<br /><br />I'm building in some marathon confidence (may race one Oct 2006). I'm running comfortably/relaxed for over 2 hours now at 8:30/mile. I get tight in the hamstrings and calves near the end, but do not worry too much. 2 months ago I was getting this feeling after just an hour so something is adjusting week to week. <br /><br />

[old] Jim Barry

General

Post by [old] Jim Barry » November 29th, 2005, 5:53 pm

Bought a pedometer (step counter) this past weekend to check on my stride rate. Actually I knew it was lower than what seems to be a popular consensus of 180-190 footstrikes/min. I really bought it to log my progress improving it. For this past weekend's long run, it turns out I plod at very novice-like 164 footstrikes/minute. That's a lot of pounding along really. I guess since I'm looking to improve my running it's nice to find something SO wrong with the current state. My long term goal is a 17% increase in running speeds (38 minute 10k for instance). I'm more confident I can fill half that gap in the next year with some time working out this kink. <br /><br />

[old] johnnybike

General

Post by [old] johnnybike » November 29th, 2005, 6:45 pm

Well Jim, I think every runner on this thread would like to see a 17% increase in speed <br /><br />I was interested in the threads about metronomes and increasing your rate to about 85 per minute (one foot only so 170 in your comaprison)<br /><br /> See the following link <a href='http://www.chirunning.com/library/story ... rary%29=42' target='_blank'> Here </a>

[old] ancho

General

Post by [old] ancho » November 30th, 2005, 2:29 pm

Very quickly:<br />"Maraton del Mediterraneo" in Castelldefels-Barcelona is scheduled for november 2006. <br />As I survived on sunday (feel very fine now, and made a v e e e e r y s m o o o t h 30 min run yesterday), maybe I could think about running there.<br />Any forum marathoners attending to this event are invited to BBQ after the race.

[old] ancho

General

Post by [old] ancho » December 1st, 2005, 12:47 pm

I have posted the details of my marathon in the thread <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... entry43007' target='_blank'>"Running A Marathon"</a>