TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
calonius
Paddler

Post by calonius » March 24th, 2006, 6:18 am

Dutchcan,
You get your own erg, you never regret. There is no alternative equipment for you. If you are after a used C model and find one I have one hint for you. Check the erged kilometers. If the erg is 5 years old it could have been used only for 1 million meters or it could have been used for 55 million meters. Quite a difference even if the equipment is strong. The erged kilometers cannot be deleted. You get them visible by pushing OK/ready button and set digits arrow showing to the right at the same time.

Cheers,

Arno
finland

Sasha
500m Poster

Post by Sasha » March 24th, 2006, 8:18 am

I have never needed the motivation that comes from watching others sweating it, which strangely enough led me to the Concept in the first place. It was the one machine that no one seemed to be drawn to. Being a solitary person, it was only a matter of time that I would
We are, indeed, kindred spirits. The other folks at the gym only annoy me because they often want to chat. I, too, got on the Concept2 because it was lonely and neglected, perpetually empty. A guy at work tells me that it is empty because it kicks your butt. Who knew?

I guess we're moving toward the same decision. Of course we wouldn't have asked here if we wanted folks to tell us "no."

TabbRows
2k Poster

Post by TabbRows » March 24th, 2006, 11:37 am

dutchcan,

I was like you rowing 2-3 times a week at the gym; fighting the "3 minute jockeys" for a seat on the C2 C versus an older Schwinn (what a piece of crap to row).

Then I bought a B from a fellow rower (who just got a D). Best money on fitness I've spend in years. I'm able to do WPL4 or the longer UT2s without having some calorie counter staring at me and the 30 minute time limit clock. Crossed the million meter threshold before the end of April which I would never have done just going to the gym.

To borrow from the song:
"Every rower's got to have his own". :D

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » March 24th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Bought mine in December as a Christmas present and have rowed 5 to 6 days a week ever since. Best decision I made and for the money no other piece of gym equipment comes close. You won't be sorry
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

jfo
Paddler

Secondhand ergs

Post by jfo » April 11th, 2006, 8:54 am

Here (Dk) you can always find a secondhand C2. Either from Concept2 or from secondhand papers/sites.
A brandnew C2 is 2000+ US-dollars.
A secondhand (6 months) C2 PM3 is 1600 US-dollars.
Older machines are ofcourse cheaper.

Good luck with your search.
-JFO

Ducatista
2k Poster

Re: Secondhand ergs

Post by Ducatista » April 11th, 2006, 8:38 pm

jfo wrote:Here (Dk)....
Hey, on a completely unrelated topic, I just saw the movie Kinamand and really enjoyed it. I don't get a chance to see a lot of Danish cinema (before Kinamand my last was The Green Butchers), but so far I've liked what I've seen.

jfo
Paddler

Post by jfo » April 12th, 2006, 2:08 am

I haven't seen Kinamand yet but I liked De Grønne Slagtere. Insane movie with an unpredictable course :shock:
-JFO

dutchcan
Paddler

Re: Secondhand ergs

Post by dutchcan » April 12th, 2006, 4:57 am

jfo wrote:Here (Dk) you can always find a secondhand C2. Either from Concept2 or from secondhand papers/sites.
A brandnew C2 is 2000+ US-dollars.
A secondhand (6 months) C2 PM3 is 1600 US-dollars.
Older machines are ofcourse cheaper.

Good luck with your search.
I've been looking for used C2's, but they are few and far between. I have seen one on a dutch auction site, model C, for about 900 EURO. I still find this alot. A new C2 model D from the dealer is 1399 EURO. I'm still waffeling on whether or not to get one. At present, I belong to a gym, and my membership is up for renewal in June. I'm debating giving it up, and getting the C2 along with some free weights instead. The idea of having it available whenever the mood strikes, is appealing. I can't really afford to do both...keep the gym and get a C2, and that's my dilemma. From what I've heard on here, know one has regretted the investment, so I'm definitely leaning that way.

DavidA
10k Poster

Post by DavidA » April 12th, 2006, 1:08 pm

900 is a lot less than 1400, and they hold up extrememly well, so it is quite likely you wouldn't see much difference between the used and the new. I would also suggest making the investment in your own - I don't think you will regret it at all.

David
63 y / 70 kg / 172 cm / 5 kids / 17 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994
my log

gcanyon
2k Poster

Post by gcanyon » April 12th, 2006, 1:53 pm

I'll chime in with the rest. I first sat on a model C at the gym back in January 2005. I largely gave up going to the gym in June of last year. Got my own model D in December, and I'll be completing my second marathon and hitting 1 million meters later this month.

My cholesterol levels have dramatically improved.

My resting heart rate has dropped about 12 beats per minute.

My body has significantly reshaped itself.

I love my erg.