Anterior Approach Hip Replacement, need advice...

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
dr. espo
1k Poster

Anterior Approach Hip Replacement, need advice...

Post by dr. espo » November 2nd, 2016, 10:17 am

Hello all, I have not been on the boards for a while due to discontinued use of my C2 rower due to hip issues. I finally had a hip replacement (anterior approach) two weeks ago and have made great progress. Just got checked off of PT yesterday and no longer need aids to walk, no walker, no cane! This is the best thing I have done for myself the pain was really NO fun. Tomorrow I see my surgeon and hope to be cleared to drive, unbelievable really, two weeks and I'm ready to drive. I guess having these things done when you are "younger" (60) helps the healing process as well as the approach and surgeon skill set.

Now, I did show the PT my rower and she said she thought it would be fine if I just took it easy, REAL easy and listened to my body. Believe me I want no part of a revision due to a loosened prosthesis. I am going to start off with legs straight and just do an upper body exercise then eventually work in my legs very slowly, no marathons or anything stupid.

My question for you all out there is, those of you with total hip replacements (taking into account the various approaches used for this surgery) what did you do to ease into the rowing and how well did it work out for you?

Thanks, appreciate any and all comments.
always learning...

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w2qhAni/exercise.png[/img]

Cyclingman1
10k Poster

Re: Anterior Approach Hip Replacement, need advice...

Post by Cyclingman1 » November 2nd, 2016, 1:14 pm

Anterior hip replacement in Feb, 2013. That kind of surgery will knock the stuffing out of one's fitness, not to mention the swelling and discomfort. Consequently, the ability to row fast is just not there. Rowing will necessarily be slow. Anterior approach minimizes the chances for joint dislocation. I was on the erg a week after surgery. I didn't hold back all that much, but length of stroke was a little reduced. Like I say, lower fitness keeps the intensity down. I, in fact, did do a marathon 11 weeks after surgery. I was hunting nonathlon points. I didn't do particularly well, but that was due to my generally low training meters, not the surgery. Of course, one must monitor how they feel in any athletic endeavor and back off as needed. All in all, a hip replacement is not too tough to come back from.

dr. espo
1k Poster

Re: Anterior Approach Hip Replacement, need advice...

Post by dr. espo » November 2nd, 2016, 1:27 pm

Cyclingman1 wrote:Anterior hip replacement in Feb, 2013. That kind of surgery will knock the stuffing out of one's fitness, not to mention the swelling and discomfort. Consequently, the ability to row fast is just not there. Rowing will necessarily be slow. Anterior approach minimizes the chances for joint dislocation. I was on the erg a week after surgery. I didn't hold back all that much, but length of stroke was a little reduced. Like I say, lower fitness keeps the intensity down. I, in fact, did do a marathon 11 weeks after surgery. I was hunting nonathlon points. I didn't do particularly well, but that was due to my generally low training meters, not the surgery. Of course, one must monitor how they feel in any athletic endeavor and back off as needed. All in all, a hip replacement is not too tough to come back from.
Thank you for your response. It's great to see how fast you recovered. As rowing is not an impact driven exercise (like jogging or skiing) it would seem to be as ideal as a stationary bike. However, as I do not intend to do any spin classes that High Intensity stuff can come back to haunt you. Similarly, I am not looking to break any land speed records in my erg, just a slow steady pace to control weight, get the heart rate up acceptably, and have a little fun with it.

Slow and steady is the recommendation I'm thinking. I'll keep you posted on my progress in the event there are others out there in similar circumstances.
always learning...

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w2qhAni/exercise.png[/img]