Forum Behaviour

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] anneoaks

General

Post by [old] anneoaks » March 1st, 2006, 11:32 pm

George makes a good point. If the forum is being used to rant and bully, please keep it out of the women's threads and CTC team chat. <br /><br />I use the forum for advice and have been amazed as how helpful other rowers are (men and women). However, the forum is intimidating for new rowers and many women have commented on how they would prefer not to ask a question publicly and be open to humiliation. So, instead a number of private e-mail groups have been formed to answer questions and provide support. This is fine and certainly the internet enables private as well as public communication. But, I do fear that new rowers could be turned off by the egos and testosterone-talk on some of the threads. Maybe the trash-talk threads could be a seperate catagory, so if people care to go there, they can. It does make rather humorous late night reading.....<br /><br />OK, now you can beat up on me :roll:

[old] fish

General

Post by [old] fish » March 2nd, 2006, 2:00 am

<!--quoteo(post=58028:date=Mar 1 2006, 07:32 PM:name=anneoaks)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anneoaks @ Mar 1 2006, 07:32 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>George makes a good point. If the forum is being used to rant and bully, please keep it out of the women's threads and CTC team chat. <br /><br />I use the forum for advice and have been amazed as how helpful other rowers are (men and women). However, the forum is intimidating for new rowers and many women have commented on how they would prefer not to ask a question publicly and be open to humiliation. So, instead a number of private e-mail groups have been formed to answer questions and provide support. This is fine and certainly the internet enables private as well as public communication. But, I do fear that new rowers could be turned off by the egos and testosterone-talk on some of the threads. Maybe the trash-talk threads could be a seperate catagory, so if people care to go there, they can. It does make rather humorous late night reading.....<br /><br />OK, now you can beat up on me :roll:<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I would have to agree with this. It's not really worth the risk to ask a question and have it start a fight. At this point, I am just trying to figure stuff out on my own.

[old] Godfried

General

Post by [old] Godfried » March 2nd, 2006, 4:58 am

<!--quoteo(post=58034:date=Mar 2 2006, 07:00 AM:name=fish)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fish @ Mar 2 2006, 07:00 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quotec-->I would have to agree with this. It's not really worth the risk to ask a question and have it start a fight. At this point, I am just trying to figure stuff out on my own.<br /> </td></tr></table><br />Please don't give up on us. See <a href="http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... c=3715&hl=" target="_blank">Introduction</a>.

[old] Chad Williams

General

Post by [old] Chad Williams » March 2nd, 2006, 5:27 am

<!--quoteo(post=57860:date=Mar 1 2006, 11:00 AM:name=Porkchop)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Mar 1 2006, 11:00 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>Ben,<br /><br />I would like to add my endorsement to the comments praising your maturity. You have a good head on your shoulders. I bet that your 8 is glad to have you in the boat.<br /><br />With that, though, I would add that there is a certain naivete in your comments above. You were absolutely right about what <i>should</i> happen. Unfortunately, while some good people were engaging in a group hug on this thread, the nastiness started all over again here: <a href="http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... entry57853" target="_blank">Chad Again</a>. The reality is it that it takes two to tango, and Chad doesn't want to dance with Mark, Dwayne, or me, or anyone else who questions his innuendos and character assassination. There won't be any peace on this subject until Chad takes Diesel's "advice" on the other thread.<br /><br />Welcome to the wonderful world of "adult" behavior. :)<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Porkchop, you need to hand out advice to Diesel’s rather than name me. At no point in all of my posts have I ever sworn at anyone, yet again though you choose to single me out.<br />You support Diesels behaviour as you said you agree with what he said.<br /><br />It is a shame you do not have a wise head on old shoulders.<br /><br />I stick to about 3 topics on the whole forum and behave properly, you and Mark however follow me around trying to bait me. Mark even admitted on one thread talking about Evesham that he was baiting me.<br />The forum would be a better place without you 2 disrupting it, you are putting other people of joining in the other topics as you are now both labelled as trouble makers and I am not surprised that no one takes you seriously any more.<br /><br />Mark & Porkchop why not use your ignore user button on me if I annoy you so much. How about you both just stop posting, you won’t be missed, as your posts contain nothing in the way of information in them.<br /><br />

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » March 2nd, 2006, 10:58 am

<!--quoteo(post=58045:date=Mar 2 2006, 04:27 AM:name=Chad Williams)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Chad Williams @ Mar 2 2006, 04:27 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>Mark & Porkchop why not use your ignore user button on me if I annoy you so much. How about you both just stop posting, you won’t be missed, as your posts contain nothing in the way of information in them.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />What "ignore button"?<br />

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » March 2nd, 2006, 11:22 am

I have never seen anyone here, in any way, belittle, criticize, "flame", or otherwise name call <b>anyone </b> asking for help, anyone who is new, or anyone who is tying to learn more about rowing. This includes everyone ... even the more "unique" personalities here.<br /><br />The only time I have seen this happen is when the actions of someone are considered so outrageous that people who want to ensure this forum is a great place to exchange information, generate friendly competition, and compare training approaches feel that person needs to be made aware of their bad behaviour or "poor form".

[old] kinley

General

Post by [old] kinley » March 2nd, 2006, 11:39 am

<!--quoteo(post=58028:date=Mar 1 2006, 10:32 PM:name=anneoaks)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anneoaks @ Mar 1 2006, 10:32 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>But, I do fear that new rowers could be turned off by the egos and testosterone-talk on some of the threads. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Actually, we've got it good. The UK forum is much, much worse.

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » March 2nd, 2006, 11:45 am

<!--quoteo(post=58096:date=Mar 2 2006, 10:39 AM:name=kinley)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(kinley @ Mar 2 2006, 10:39 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quoteo(post=58028:date=Mar 1 2006, 10:32 PM:name=anneoaks)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anneoaks @ Mar 1 2006, 10:32 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>But, I do fear that new rowers could be turned off by the egos and testosterone-talk on some of the threads. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Actually, we've got it good. The UK forum is much, much worse.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />They're saying the same thing about us right now:<br /><br /><a href="http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 3&start=15" target="_blank">http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... =15</a><br /><br /> :)

[old] Stretch

General

Post by [old] Stretch » March 2nd, 2006, 12:23 pm

<!--quoteo(post=58098:date=Mar 2 2006, 10:45 AM:name=mpukita)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Mar 2 2006, 10:45 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quoteo(post=58096:date=Mar 2 2006, 10:39 AM:name=kinley)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(kinley @ Mar 2 2006, 10:39 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quoteo(post=58028:date=Mar 1 2006, 10:32 PM:name=anneoaks)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anneoaks @ Mar 1 2006, 10:32 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>But, I do fear that new rowers could be turned off by the egos and testosterone-talk on some of the threads. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Actually, we've got it good. The UK forum is much, much worse.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />They're saying the same thing about us right now:<br /><br /><a href="http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 3&start=15" target="_blank">http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... =15</a><br /><br /> :)<br /> </td></tr></table><br />Two online communities, divided by a common language. :lol:<br /><br />PS: Mark, the board allows you to choose not to see posts by people who consistently p*ss you off. Click on the user's name to bring up their profile, then click on the "profile options" button at upper right. Choose "ignore user" from the dropdown menu. Enjoy.

[old] Bayko

General

Post by [old] Bayko » March 2nd, 2006, 12:24 pm

<!--quoteo(post=58028:date=Mar 1 2006, 10:32 PM:name=anneoaks)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anneoaks @ Mar 1 2006, 10:32 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>George makes a good point. If the forum is being used to rant and bully, please keep it out of the women's threads and CTC team chat. <br /><br />I use the forum for advice and have been amazed as how helpful other rowers are (men and women). However, the forum is intimidating for new rowers and many women have commented on how they would prefer not to ask a question publicly and be open to humiliation. So, instead a number of private e-mail groups have been formed to answer questions and provide support. This is fine and certainly the internet enables private as well as public communication. But, I do fear that new rowers could be turned off by the egos and testosterone-talk on some of the threads. Maybe the trash-talk threads could be a seperate catagory, so if people care to go there, they can. It does make rather humorous late night reading.....<br /><br />OK, now you can beat up on me :roll:<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You are absolutely right. I will not beat up on you.<br /><br />In addition to what you write, and fish confirms, is that other interesting posters of the past several years have ceased to contribute out of frustration. I don't know what the answer is. Ignoring does not seem to work despite the frequent suggestion to do so. The Trolls feed off newbies even when the regulars stop responding. Not only that, but ignoring blatantly bad postings can be seen as tacit approval. At least in the eyes of relatively new forumites.<br /><br />Last December I gave up the ghost, feeling that I was more a part of the problem than a part of the solution. Others much better than me had done so before. As you said, email groups (especially the Forum Flyers group), PM's and Blogs satisfied my desire to stay active without controversy. And yet the tone of the forum didn't improve one whit.<br /><br /><br />I'm trying to ease back in by limiting myself to a few friendly threads like the FF thread on the UK forum. I don't feel right being a member of a team called Forum Flyers if I don't contribute <i>something</i> to the forums. :cry: But I can't see myself getting back into it to the same degree as before.<br /><br />I hope that the newbies can find threads that aren't nasty and intimidating to get the information and support that is the best part of having this forum available to us. Maybe someday it will go back in the other direction.<br /><br />Rick<br />

[old] fish

General

Post by [old] fish » March 2nd, 2006, 2:19 pm

<!--quoteo(post=58042:date=Mar 2 2006, 12:58 AM:name=Godfried)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Godfried @ Mar 2 2006, 12:58 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quoteo(post=58034:date=Mar 2 2006, 07:00 AM:name=fish)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fish @ Mar 2 2006, 07:00 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quotec-->I would have to agree with this. It's not really worth the risk to ask a question and have it start a fight. At this point, I am just trying to figure stuff out on my own.<br /> </td></tr></table><br />Please don't give up on us. See <a href="http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... c=3715&hl=" target="_blank">Introduction</a>.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks for the link. I am not really a novice athlete. I spent 25 years on the track, and I found that translating "Jack Daniels' Running Formula" to the erg didn't work as well as I had hoped. I have been lurking here for a while, trying to learn how to train on the erg. I am thinking about the Wolverine Plan because of the attention to stroke control.<br /><br /><br />

[old] anneoaks

General

Post by [old] anneoaks » March 2nd, 2006, 4:48 pm

<!--quoteo(post=58042:date=Mar 2 2006, 03:58 AM:name=Godfried)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Godfried @ Mar 2 2006, 03:58 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quoteo(post=58034:date=Mar 2 2006, 07:00 AM:name=fish)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fish @ Mar 2 2006, 07:00 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quotec-->I would have to agree with this. It's not really worth the risk to ask a question and have it start a fight. At this point, I am just trying to figure stuff out on my own.<br /> </td></tr></table><br />Please don't give up on us. See <a href="http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... c=3715&hl=" target="_blank">Introduction</a>.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /> <br /><br />That is a great place for new rowers to learn the basics. Thanks. I will pass it on and will take a look to see if it is linked to the Ducks In a Row thread. I think once people begin to row and log their meters, there are a number of questions.

[old] Godfried

General

Post by [old] Godfried » March 2nd, 2006, 5:20 pm

<!--quoteo(post=58175:date=Mar 2 2006, 09:48 PM:name=anneoaks)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anneoaks @ Mar 2 2006, 09:48 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quotec-->... I think once people begin to row and log their meters, there are a number of questions.<br /> </td></tr></table><br />If you have questions, just ask them. And if you are not sure about the quality of the answers, ask again. <br /><br />Remember, answers given may be very counter-productive, or even dangerous.

[old] Ducatista

General

Post by [old] Ducatista » March 9th, 2006, 6:43 pm

<!--quoteo--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quotec-->If the forum is being used to rant and bully, please keep it out of the women's threads and CTC team chat. </td></tr></table><br />Huh. I find most women-specific forums on enthusiast boards to be numbingly conflict-free, and thus tend to avoid them like the plague. Different strokes, eh?