How Many Actual Water Rowers?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Big seven

General

Post by [old] Big seven » February 7th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Yeah there's some fantastic places to row down here.. I havn't had much experience rowing outside of Victoria, but i have been down to Penrith lakes in NSW for the nationals last year. I generally row on the Yarra in Melbourne for training, and most regattas are at either Carrum or Nagambie. My favourite place to row though would have to be lake Barrington in Tasmania.. I think it was the place of the 1991 world championships.. but i'm still young, and i still row for my school, so i guess i have a lot more of the world's fine courses to see eh.

[old] Ben Rea

General

Post by [old] Ben Rea » February 7th, 2006, 10:43 pm

i row on water, definatley

[old] eyespliced

General

Post by [old] eyespliced » February 8th, 2006, 2:11 am

well, when i was in 8th grade i started skulling with my uncle and aunt(aunt was in one of the Pam-Am games for a double) and then after about a year of that i quit(because i was being "forced". now in my Jr year of HS i have started again and am a novice w/ berkeley high school(and i love it) <br />forgot to mention we row in 4+ and 8+(i prefer skulling to both, but we don't have any singles to row atm)

[old] chudwell

General

Post by [old] chudwell » February 8th, 2006, 10:46 pm

Rowed fixed seat craft on Atlantic ocean as a kid in New England, and rowed sliding seat in college (4's and 8's), and now have two old Little River rec singles that I saved from the landfill and used on a local lake for a few summers. Both need restoring, so I'm erging more these days, but look forward to restoring one of them for sculling this summer.<br /><br />I did travel to Charleston SC on vacation recently. I found a guy that rented rec singles down there and also visited another guy that sells Virus boats out of his home. <br /><br />Took the Virus on a marsh river row. Sliding rigger is weird , but I think I could get used to it after a few outings.<br /><br />Look up Blackburn Challenge in Cape Ann Mass. That's a great race. Also, the Essex River Race in May. use a search engine to find either one. Lot's of good info out there.

[old] kinley

General

Post by [old] kinley » February 9th, 2006, 11:06 pm

<!--quoteo(post=55364:date=Feb 8 2006, 09:46 PM:name=chudwell)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(chudwell @ Feb 8 2006, 09:46 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><br />Look up Blackburn Challenge in Cape Ann Mass. That's a great race. Also, the Essex River Race in May. use a search engine to find either one. Lot's of good info out there.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><a href="http://www.blackburnchallenge.com" target="_blank">http://www.blackburnchallenge.com</a>

[old] Afterburner

General

Post by [old] Afterburner » February 10th, 2006, 4:17 pm

I'm decidedly an on water person. My first love is for the single, altho I've got my eye on that slot in the LW2x for the U23s this year. I row on water year round here in Miami, altho we get forced off for about a week in Feb for the stupid boat show that comes in and screws up the river, also sometimes we'll have a bad week in the middle of summer with too many T-storms for it to be safe, but that's about it.<br />Moving back to Portland, OR in April and am looking forward to rowing there again(it's where I'm from originally), especially as there should be some good competition up there, sadly there are no other open class women down here in FL at the moment, or if there are they're hiding!<br />My favorite thought is ergs don't float, the only thing that lets me sleep after a bad erg. Thank god it's speed on the water that's most important in my life.<br /><br />Heather

[old] Neb154

General

Post by [old] Neb154 » February 12th, 2006, 10:40 pm

Highschool OTW Rower here. I've raced in a 2x, 4x, 4-, and 8+. There is nothing, nothing, like the feeling of that absolute perfection in any of those boats, when your stroke, balance, and power application are as placid as the surrounding calm plane of water.

[old] chudwell

General

Post by [old] chudwell » February 13th, 2006, 4:36 pm

<u>kinley</u>, thanks for pasting that link. I think the Blackburn would be a great "rowing vacation" for an avid water rower.<br /><br /><u>Afterburner</u>: AMEN. A great "erger" does not necessarily translate into success on the water. In college, I was a large, strong guy, but was beaten in many races by slender guys with no muscle tone. I also watched those guys and learned better rowing form from them. Form and experience on the water are a much better investment for success on the water than erging will ever be....IMHO.

[old] Roland Baltutis

General

Post by [old] Roland Baltutis » February 13th, 2006, 7:02 pm

<!--quoteo(post=55058:date=Feb 6 2006, 10:06 PM:name=Big seven)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Big seven @ Feb 6 2006, 10:06 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>Just curious as to how many of you actually row on the water. I'm aware its an indoor rowing forum, but i'm sure there are some of you out there.<br /><br />If you do, what form of boat do you row in? single scull? pair? four? eight? And do any of you compete in any regattas in Melbourne, Australia? Cheers.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I've been rowing on the Yarra in Melbourne, Australia for the last 20 years in various sized boats. Like many other on water rowers on this forum I use the erg for my training. I prefer to spend more time on the water than the erg but sometimes things go the other way (Aussie C2 team in Boston 2004, co-founder first indoor rowing club in Australia and Rowpro online racing). <br /><br />I'm also one of the longest serving members of Power House Rowing Club and just bought a new high tech single scull. I get frequent comments that the boat looks fast and hot (not necessarily with me in it though).<br /><br />I have raced in many European countries and organized crew exchange programs between Australia and Lithuania in the past with sponsors.<br /><br />You've most likely seen me on the water training. My main racing is Head of the Yarra, Masters crew races and winter sculling series.<br /><br />However you'll find this forum is really only for C2 indoor rowing with occassional on water topics. There is a much better forum for on water rowers "RowersWorld.com" (click on community) than this site. Unfortunately it's American biased which means in winter, because many of them can't row on water, indoor rowing seems to dominate many topics.<br /><br />By the way. Which school do you row for?<br /><br />Rockin Roland<br /><br /><br />

[old] Big seven

General

Post by [old] Big seven » February 19th, 2006, 6:53 pm

haha you rowed head of the yarra? awesome, same. good race. I row for Carey and Banks currently and am enjoying it greatly.