Trans Canada Row

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] FrancoisA

General

Post by [old] FrancoisA » January 23rd, 2006, 9:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Yukon John+Jan 23 2006, 11:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Yukon John @ Jan 23 2006, 11:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Francois, I take it that the 4:30 pace is per Kilometer, not per mile . I've never been on a treadmill that goes by the k. I'm so use to it on the erg, but pace per kilometer would take a bit of getting used to while running. How is your recovery coming? Hopefully you'll be able to get back into your speedy mode soon! <br /><br />I need to sort out the 33spm thing. It feels comfortable to me and I believe my technique is OK, but maybe I should be trying to slow it down? Any advice anyone has would be appreciated! For a 500 I go at the same pace but I jack up the resistance from about 2.5 up to 5. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />John,<br /><br />4:30 is per km, not mile! At that gentle pace, I would do 10k in 45:00.<br />My recovery is going fine, except that it still hurts if I do any intense intervals; so I am mainly doing 5 to 7 x 1k intervals at L4 paces (2:06 @ 16 spm, 2:02@ 18 spm, 1:58 @ 20spm and 1:54 @ 22 spm), and I take a little rest, à la Ranger, between the intervals. <br /><br />Regarding your rate for the 5k, IMHO, it is much too high. When I did my 60 min time trial, my average pace was 1:52.2 @ 24 spm. By comparison, your 5k was at 1:51.2 @ 33 spm. Since you are stronger (based on your faster 500m) and taller than me, you should be able to race your 5k at much lower spm. It would be a lot more efficient and you would be faster. I have found that the Level 4 workouts in the Wolverine Plan helped tremendously. You should give it a try for a couple months.<br /><br />Francois

[old] Yukon John

General

Post by [old] Yukon John » January 23rd, 2006, 10:23 pm

Regarding your rate for the 5k, IMHO, it is much too high. When I did my 60 min time trial, my average pace was 1:52.2 @ 24 spm. By comparison, your 5k was at 1:51.2 @ 33 spm. Since you are stronger (based on your faster 500m) and taller than me, you should be able to race your 5k at much lower spm. It would be a lot more efficient and you would be faster. I have found that the Level 4 workouts in the Wolverine Plan helped tremendously. You should give it a try for a couple months.<br /><br />Francois <br />[/quote]<br /><br />I may have to wade through that extended thread and give it a try, or at least pull some workouts out of the plan. I like to set up my own training plan, but I should be more open to other ideas <br /><br />On your 60 minute time trial, I think it also helped you that you've probably got lungs the size of two athletes . I imagine by now you've probably gone close to swimming around the world on your own . I'm envious!!!