Trans Canada Row

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] jetwbt

General

Post by [old] jetwbt » January 20th, 2006, 1:49 am

January 20th - 21097 - 1:17:10 - 1:49.2 splits.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Brian

[old] Mark Keating

General

Post by [old] Mark Keating » January 20th, 2006, 9:16 am

Jan. 19 - 15K<br />60' @ 2:19, r16<br />~2K cooldown @ 2:30<br /><br />It wasn't that long ago that I couldn't imagine doing any kind of 60' piece, never mind r16, but I'm actually beginning to enjoy those long, low rate rows. This was the longest session I've recorded yet.<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Canada Goose+Jan 19 2006, 04:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Canada Goose @ Jan 19 2006, 04:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mark, are you still going to give this one a try?  Or are you going to wait until the last day like last time?<br /><br />Shannon </td></tr></table><br />I'm going to give it a try, just not sure when. I might give it a try <i>tomorrow</i>, but if it's a really poor score I won't <i>post</i> it till the last day so it won't be as noticeable. <br />Nice effort on the challenge BTW.<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Did she wear her stetson Mark? I've seen her training here at the Oval a couple of times ... very fast. </td></tr></table><br /><br />No stetson Rob, but she had her gold medals with her as well as her racing suit and skates. I was a bit surprised at how petite she was; for some reason I had in my mind that she would be fairly tall. You're right about her being fast - top speed on the blades is around 55 km/h!

[old] ed__d

General

Post by [old] ed__d » January 20th, 2006, 11:16 am

<!--QuoteBegin-ulu+Jan 19 2006, 10:05 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ulu @ Jan 19 2006, 10:05 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ok, hosers, this is up for critique. I will email it out to the rest of the Eh!Team after I get suggestions from here.<br /><br />Here is my proposed route for the around the world row. (Our start point is Port Magee, Ireland, the end of the Trans Atlantic row)<br /><br />Eh!Team Around the World Row<br />London<br />Paris<br />Rome<br />Dakar<br />Cairo<br />Bagdad<br />Karachi<br />Dhaka<br />Singapore<br />Perth<br />Sydney<br />Greymouth<br />South pole<br />Tierra Del Fuego<br />Santiago<br />Sao Paulo<br />Panama<br />Mexico City<br />San Antonio<br />Memphis<br />Manhattan<br />C2 HQ - Vermont<br /><br />I have added a google earth.kmz file to the <a href='http://216.119.121.169/Cross%20Canada%2 ... ic_row.htm' target='_blank'>Trans Atlantic Row</a> site so you can see what this would like like. There is some backtracking but it essentially covers all of the continents.<br /><br /><a href='http://216.119.121.169/Cross%20Canada%2 ... %20Row.kmz' target='_blank'>Eh!Team Round the World Row</a> <br /><br />It is <b><span style='color:blue'>55,118,978.54 meters</span></b> (more or less) <br /><br />Are you up for it? Any suggestions about route modifications??<br /><br />Thanx for your help, I am off for a quick row.<br /><br />Jim   <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Jim - how about a quick stop in Lima between Sao Paulo and Panama? <br />Ed.

[old] ulu

General

Post by [old] ulu » January 20th, 2006, 11:49 am

Good idea about a stop in Lima.<br />I have added it to the route.<br /><br />I will update the distances after work today.<br /><br />Jim

[old] Carol

General

Post by [old] Carol » January 20th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Add another 8,000 meters for me today.<br /><br />Carol

[old] ed__d

General

Post by [old] ed__d » January 20th, 2006, 8:49 pm

10.8k; 20 Jan

[old] Calgary Rob

General

Post by [old] Calgary Rob » January 20th, 2006, 9:12 pm

Hi there,<br /><br />8km for me today (20th Jan).<br /><br />2:04/500m pace, ahr=140 bpm, spm 21.<br /><br />I've a feeling we may be done rowing across Canada, and I've added these to my personal log so I hope that's okay Jim.

[old] Yukon John

General

Post by [old] Yukon John » January 20th, 2006, 11:13 pm

4.5k today w/ 6 pick ups. Have a great weekend everyone!!!<br /><br />For anyone who might be interested, I posted some information about pliometrics in the training section, under "other training that can improve erg times" (or something like that.)

[old] ulu

General

Post by [old] ulu » January 21st, 2006, 2:31 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Calgary Rob+Jan 20 2006, 06:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Calgary Rob @ Jan 20 2006, 06:12 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />I've a feeling we may be done rowing across Canada, and I've added these to my personal log so I hope that's okay Jim. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yup, you are right. We have made it across Canada and across the Atlantic,eh.<br /><br />But we still have a big world ahead of us. It will be about 55 - 60 million (more) meters for a nice cruise around the world. (We have all ready done 7.3 million in the Cross Canada Row and 3 million in the TransAtlantic Row).<br /><br />You do not have to post your meters here anymore, as long as C2 keeps a challenge going our rowbot should be able to figure out how much you have rowed.<br /><br />I will update the website to reflect the around the world row and put some nostalgic links to the Cross Canada Row on it.<br /><br />Keep on rowin'<br /><br />Jim<br /><br /><br />

[old] ulu

General

Post by [old] ulu » January 21st, 2006, 3:28 pm

I have started a new thread:<br /><br /><a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3622' target='_blank'>Around the World Row </a>in the General Forum here.<br /><br />We can keep each other up to date there. <br /><br />It would be helpful if people could post pictures/stories/educational vignettes of the areas we are "rowing" through. I can then link the google earth file back to the thread.<br /><br />Pretty neat, eh?<br /><br />Keep on rowin',<br /><br />Jim

[old] Yukon John

General

Post by [old] Yukon John » January 21st, 2006, 10:02 pm

Congratulations everyone for completing both crossings!!! . This round the world trip is sure going to be fun! <br /><br />I tried a 5k race today. I ended up going at a slower pace than the rate I went for the 6k . But I'm still very happy with the race . I did it in 18:32.2, a new PB by about 50 seconds. Stroke rate was 33 and ave. pulse was 178! <br /><br />Tomorrow I'm going to do like Calgary Rob and add some running to the mix, but with the emphasis still on rowing. <br /><br />

[old] rr1kirk

General

Post by [old] rr1kirk » January 21st, 2006, 11:08 pm

Good work John! <br />Some days you have it and some days you have even more.<br /><br />I put in 8k after judo. Every stroke felt heavy.<br /><br />Jim, is the new thread going to become the Eh Team's general communication board? We have to have some way of keep'n up with the McKenzie's <br /><br />Cheers, <br /><br />Kirk<br />

[old] ulu

General

Post by [old] ulu » January 22nd, 2006, 2:21 am

<b><span style='color:red'>Well done on the PB John!</span></b><br /><br />Yes, I would suggest the around the world row site become the spot for communications.<br /><br />We can put this thread to rest and follow our progress and general chit-chat, advice, motivation, etc through<a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3622' target='_blank'> the around the world row thread</a><br /><br />Keep on rowin, eh.<br /><br />Jim

[old] FrancoisA

General

Post by [old] FrancoisA » January 23rd, 2006, 5:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Yukon John+Jan 22 2006, 02:02 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Yukon John @ Jan 22 2006, 02:02 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I tried a 5k race today. I ended up going at a slower pace than the rate I went for the 6k  . But I'm still very happy with the race . I did it in 18:32.2, a new PB by about 50 seconds. Stroke rate was 33 and ave. pulse was 178! <br /><br />Tomorrow I'm going to do like Calgary Rob and add some running to the mix, but with the emphasis still on rowing. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Good job John! <br />I don't know how you can keep 33 spm for over 18 minutes; it is even faster than my stroke rate for an all out 500m !! <br /><br />Since I can't row as much as I would like, I am also running 30 min every other day on the treadmill at a relax pace of 4:30 with HR at 140. I am very slowly increasing the distance, for fear of hurting my knees.<br /><br />Did 17,508m of erging in the last few days (10k today!)<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Francois

[old] Yukon John

General

Post by [old] Yukon John » January 23rd, 2006, 7:42 pm

I don't know how you can keep 33 spm for over 18 minutes; it is even faster than my stroke rate for an all out 500m !! <br /><br />
Since I can't row as much as I would like, I am also running 30 min every other day on the treadmill at a relax pace of 4:30 with HR at 140. I am very slowly increasing the distance, for fear of hurting my knees.
<br /><br />Francois <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hi Francois, I take it that the 4:30 pace is per Kilometer, not per mile . I've never been on a treadmill that goes by the k. I'm so use to it on the erg, but pace per kilometer would take a bit of getting used to while running. How is your recovery coming? Hopefully you'll be able to get back into your speedy mode soon! <br /><br />I need to sort out the 33spm thing. It feels comfortable to me and I believe my technique is OK, but maybe I should be trying to slow it down? Any advice anyone has would be appreciated! For a 500 I go at the same pace but I jack up the resistance from about 2.5 up to 5.<br /><br />I did my first run in about 6 months yesterday. Calgary Rob and JohnnyBike have gotten me motivated. After about 10 minutes I settled in and it felt great. I'm thinking that erging really works on the quads which should help protect the knees. What do you think?<br />