why upgrade from the PM3 to PM5

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
bgood
Paddler

why upgrade from the PM3 to PM5

Post by bgood » August 18th, 2016, 12:14 pm

Other than the screen being dim, why should I upgrade? If I do, I'd replace the PM3 on my model B and put the PM5 on my D.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Re: why upgrade from the PM3 to PM5

Post by Carl Watts » August 18th, 2016, 5:41 pm

The PM3 screen is not dim, you have a contrast setting you can adjust, what you probably mean is it has no backlight on the PM3 if you like rowing in the dark.

At the present time you still definitely do not want a PM5 with RowPro, there are still problems with it.

For those with a PM4 made after 2008 its still a backward step to move to a PM5 until the problems with it are sorted out.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

bgood
Paddler

Post by bgood » August 18th, 2016, 6:11 pm

Carl Watts wrote:The PM3 screen is not dim, you have a contrast setting you can adjust, what you probably mean is it has no backlight on the PM3 if you like rowing in the dark.

At the present time you still definitely do not want a PM5 with RowPro, there are still problems with it.

For those with a PM4 made after 2008 its still a backward step to move to a PM5 until the problems with it are sorted out.
--------------

The PM3 in question was a replacement PM and it came with a screen problem (that was a long time ago. C2 offered to replace the screen, i just never did anything about it). It's now on my "B" which I do not use since it also needs the bearing replaced on the flywheel.

Haven't used RowPro since I had to turn in my work laptop. I have Parallels on my MacBook Pro, but getting RP to work was always a pain (you just want to plug in and row, not spend 30 minutes getting it to work).
ErgData is awesome since I never row online (in 10 years anyway).
I do like to row in the dark, so a backlight PM would be great !!

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » August 20th, 2016, 2:45 am

Carl Watts wrote:The PM3 screen is not dim, you have a contrast setting you can adjust, what you probably mean is it has no backlight on the PM3 if you like rowing in the dark.

Stop spreading FUD. The PM5 is a stable product.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » August 20th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Citroen wrote:

Stop spreading FUD. The PM5 is a stable product.
Sorry mate but its still not working properly with RowPro as of last week. I row with someone trying to use a PM5 and its not a stable product for Online rowing.

If you want what I call stable then you need a PM3 or a PM4 with Rowpro V4.3.

I also suspect the PM5 is severely hampering the final release of RowPro V5.0, at one point I was expecting this at Christmas, that was last Christmas not the one coming.
Carl Watts.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » August 21st, 2016, 8:54 am

More FUD.

RowPro are notorious for announcing vapourware many many moons before it's generally available.

Do you really think that Concept2 haven't shot all of their bugs in PM5 and it isn't just a bug in RowPro?

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » August 21st, 2016, 8:15 pm

remisture wrote:Cant be many people using RowPro when Digital Rowing apparently dont bother fixing the v.22 bug in 3-4 months.
More like not many people using a PM5.

As far as RowPro users are concerned they don't care if the issue is with Digital Rowing or Concept 2, fact is the PM5 is not working with the RowPro V5.0 preview version. If you have to start rolling back Firmware versions to try and get it working then there is a problem, has been for months now.

If you currently want reliable online rowing then stick with the PM3 or PM4 and RowPro V4.3. Its been as good as you could expect as long as you have a decent PC with a good graphics card than can manage 50-60Hz. The weak link for many people is still their internet connection, its still pretty third world in countries that you would expect it to be great. The number of people dropping out even before the row starts is significant, let alone trying to hold a connection to the race server for 30 minutes. The internet here is surprisingly good, got a new modem a couple of years ago and the download speed doubled and thats all that was changed. Also running Wi-Fi so thats potentially another weak link but 99% of the rows encounter no problems.
Carl Watts.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » August 21st, 2016, 8:50 pm

You've paid your licence fee for RowPro go and complain to them.